From: 29Sleepy on
Recently had the hard drive replaced in my computer, and believe some
personal settings were lost. Problem I'm having is:

BEFORE:
hyperlinks IN a .ppt TO other .ppt files would open target directly into
slideshow mode.

NOW:
hyperlinks IN a .ppt TO other .ppt files open the target file in edit mode.

Causes delay and disruption in meetings I run... Using .pps file extentions
is an unreasonable work around due to the frequent use of the files.
From: Steve Rindsberg on
In article <958985F6-503F-46FC-B105-5DC98EF79FF3(a)microsoft.com>, 29Sleepy
wrote:
> Recently had the hard drive replaced in my computer, and believe some
> personal settings were lost. Problem I'm having is:
>
> BEFORE:
> hyperlinks IN a .ppt TO other .ppt files would open target directly into
> slideshow mode.
>
> NOW:
> hyperlinks IN a .ppt TO other .ppt files open the target file in edit mode.
>
> Causes delay and disruption in meetings I run... Using .pps file extentions
> is an unreasonable work around due to the frequent use of the files.

Note that you don't have to change the extensions just to edit the files; you
can simply start PPT first, then use the normal File Open command to open them
as you would any regular PPT file. A bit more tedious than simply
doubleclicking the files' icons, but once it's on the most-recently-used list,
it's about as easy.

As to why it's goofed up, though ... a few starter questions.

What version of Office do you have?

How did they rebuild your computer? From a backup or by reinstalling Office
from scratch?

Have you tried running Detect & Repair (or whatever it's called in your version
of Office)? That will often sort out bunged file associations.

PPT Frequently Asked Questions
http://www.pptfaq.com/

PPTools add-ins for PowerPoint
http://www.pptools.com/