From: John McWilliams on
krishnananda wrote:
> In article <i1loqb$36i$2(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
> John McWilliams <jpmcw(a)comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> Scotius wrote:
>>> Why is it that camera lenses are round, but pictures are
>>> square? Hmmm? Tell me that ya' smarteys!
>> It's a mystery that'll never, ever be explained.
>
> The Nikon 8mm 180-degree fisheye produces a circular image on
> rectangular film, as do other non-full-frame fisheyes.
>
> But a much more important question is why are hot dogs sold in packs of
> 10 but hot dog buns are sold in packs of 8?
>
> In philosophy this is known as the "Hot Dog Dilemma".

Roger that! There is one theory that the average klutzy BBQer will drop
two in front of the guests, and have to dispose of them in the garbage
instead of putting 'em back on the grill.

--
john mcwilliams
From: Neil on
On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 20:52:04 -0400, Scotius wrote:

> Why is it that camera lenses are round, but pictures are square? Hmmm?
> Tell me that ya' smarteys!

In-camera cropping.

--
Neil - reverse 'ra' and delete 'l'.
From: Bowser on

"krishnananda" <krishna(a)divine-life.in.invalid> wrote in message
> In article <i1loqb$36i$2(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
> John McWilliams <jpmcw(a)comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> Scotius wrote:
>> > Why is it that camera lenses are round, but pictures are
>> > square? Hmmm? Tell me that ya' smarteys!
>>
>> It's a mystery that'll never, ever be explained.
>
> The Nikon 8mm 180-degree fisheye produces a circular image on
> rectangular film, as do other non-full-frame fisheyes.
>
> But a much more important question is why are hot dogs sold in packs of
> 10 but hot dog buns are sold in packs of 8?
>
> In philosophy this is known as the "Hot Dog Dilemma".

It was also the question asked by the Bulletproof Monk. His answer: because
they do.

From: Bowser on
"Scotius" <yodasbud(a)mnsi.net> wrote in message
> Why is it that camera lenses are round, but pictures are
> square? Hmmm? Tell me that ya' smarteys!

Horribly simple:

Because the earth is round, we need round lenses to see it. But because
paper is flat and rectangular, we need cameras and stuff to process the
round images into flat rectangular images so we can see them. Same goes for
monitors.

I'm really surprised you even had to ask.

From: whisky-dave on

"Scotius" <yodasbud(a)mnsi.net> wrote in message
> Why is it that camera lenses are round, but pictures are
> square? Hmmm? Tell me that ya' smarteys!

It's because trees are round which is what we use to make paper,
but the paper we print them on is square (or rectangle).
It's a government conspiracy that's been going on since the dawn of
photography.