From: Bigos on
On Dec 23, 1:20 pm, gavino <gavcom...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> I just don't kow if I can learn it.

Please don't despair. I think main problem with Lisp is changing the
way you think. When I started learning Lisp for the first time I have
felt like I am learning a different language. Other languages I have
learned so far seem to be so similar that learning another was not a
problem.

When you are learning Lisp you also have to learn quite lot of
advanced programming which might make things seem to be more
difficult.

I understand the way you feel. I have felt like this many times yet I
can't completely give up on Lisp. I saw some of it's power and I am
hooked now.

My advice is take some rest, let your unconscious mind work on it, and
after a while come back to Lisp, and you will notice that you will be
able to progress much further than before, and after several cycles of
giving up and returning to Lisp you will eventually become a proper
Lisper.

Good Luck

Jacek
From: Bigos on
On Dec 23, 8:31 pm, Francogrex <fra...(a)grex.org> wrote:
> On Dec 23, 2:20 pm, gavino <gavcom...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I just don't kow if I can learn it.
>
> Huh? Common Lisp (or any lisp for that matter) is one of the most
> straightforward languages. You write almost as you would write in
> plain English... Maybe you should go try to learn assembly, then
> you'll realize how simple lisp is (by comparison).

For people who think in assembler learning Lisp can be difficult. I
started with low level languages and maybe this is the reason why I
had problems with Lisp. Lisp's syntax is very easy but changing your
thinking habits can be difficult. There's a lot to unlearn.
From: Cecil Westerhof on
Bigos <ruby.object(a)googlemail.com> writes:

> Please don't despair. I think main problem with Lisp is changing the
> way you think. When I started learning Lisp for the first time I have
> felt like I am learning a different language. Other languages I have
> learned so far seem to be so similar that learning another was not a
> problem.

The same here. I had no big problems with going from C to C++, bash,
java, perl, php, python, ... I just started with CL and find that the
effort I need to put in for the switch is much higher as with those
other languages.

--
Cecil Westerhof
Senior Software Engineer
From: Jaseem VV on
On Dec 24, 4:13 pm, Cecil Westerhof <Ce...(a)decebal.nl> wrote:
> Bigos <ruby.obj...(a)googlemail.com> writes:
> > Please don't despair. I think main problem with Lisp is changing the
> > way you think. When I started learning Lisp for the first time I have
> > felt like I am learning a different language. Other languages I have
> > learned so far seem to be so similar that learning another was not a
> > problem.
>
> The same here. I had no big problems with going from C to C++, bash,
> java, perl, php, python, ... I just started with CL and find that the
> effort I need to put in for the switch is much higher as with those
> other languages.
>
> --
> Cecil Westerhof
> Senior Software Engineer
> LinkedIn:http://www.linkedin.com/in/cecilwesterhof

Ya that's right. CL need more effort.
From: Pascal J. Bourguignon on
Bigos <ruby.object(a)googlemail.com> writes:

> On Dec 23, 1:20�pm, gavino <gavcom...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> I just don't kow if I can learn it.
>
> Please don't despair. I think main problem with Lisp is changing the
> way you think. When I started learning Lisp for the first time I have
> felt like I am learning a different language. Other languages I have
> learned so far seem to be so similar that learning another was not a
> problem.
>
> When you are learning Lisp you also have to learn quite lot of
> advanced programming which might make things seem to be more
> difficult.
>
> I understand the way you feel. I have felt like this many times yet I
> can't completely give up on Lisp. I saw some of it's power and I am
> hooked now.
>
> My advice is take some rest, let your unconscious mind work on it, and
> after a while come back to Lisp, and you will notice that you will be
> able to progress much further than before, and after several cycles of
> giving up and returning to Lisp you will eventually become a proper
> Lisper.

LOL Yeah right! Give gavino ten years of rest to let his unconscious
mind work on it!

> Good Luck
>
> Jacek

In a World without Walls and Fences,