From: Anton Ertl on
Bernd Paysan <bernd.paysan(a)gmx.de> writes:
>IMHO, a number of things go wrong which is why advance of resolution is
>slow. My take at this is here:
>
>http://www.jwdt.com/~paysan/hires.html
>
>Executive summary: Use bayer pattern for the screen, double effective
>resolution without decreasing feature size (i.e. with the same
>technology and yield).

Is feature size really a problem for monitors? There used to be 24"
monitors with 200dpi (IIRC 3840x2400) >5 years ago. I have not heard
much about them lately, apparently the inability of Windows to cope
with them has resulted in a retreat into specialty markets. Apart
from Windows, a problem of such monitors is how to drive them. You
need two dual-link DVI ports, and I found it already pretty
challenging to get hardware and software to work for my 2560x1600
display.

>Fortunately, I'd neither to take my TV nor my LCD to an unexpected
>forced reboot yet. The complexity still remains low enough to keep the
>software robust.

My >10 years old TV set occasionally needs a soft or hard power cycle,
especially in connection with using teletext.

- anton
anton(a)mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at Most things have to be believed to be seen
From: Bernd Paysan on
Anton Ertl wrote:
> Is feature size really a problem for monitors? There used to be 24"
> monitors with 200dpi (IIRC 3840x2400) >5 years ago.

Yes. Small feature size drives the price up the roof. 50-60dpi (TV
screens) can be made significantly cheaper per m² than 100dpi (computer
screens), and 200dpi is just way too expensive - it's left to very small
displays. There are also troubles with aligning the liquid crystal if
the alignment domain (i.e. the subpixel) is too small.

> I have not heard
> much about them lately, apparently the inability of Windows to cope
> with them has resulted in a retreat into specialty markets. Apart
> from Windows, a problem of such monitors is how to drive them. You
> need two dual-link DVI ports, and I found it already pretty
> challenging to get hardware and software to work for my 2560x1600
> display.

Fortunately, there's now DisplayPort 1.2; with four lanes, it can drive
4k by 2560. DisplayPort can also use YCrCb, and thus could utilize the
fact that there are more green pixels on my proposed display (4:2:2
color subsampling plus possible extended color space).

The 30" screens are particularly challenging to drive, because they
usually have no scaler inside, so you have to get everything right to
drive them.

--
Bernd Paysan
http://www.jwdt.com/~paysan/
From: nmm1 on
In article <2009Nov29.190842(a)mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at>,
Anton Ertl <anton(a)mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at> wrote:

>>Fortunately, I'd neither to take my TV nor my LCD to an unexpected
>>forced reboot yet. The complexity still remains low enough to keep the
>>software robust.
>
>My >10 years old TV set occasionally needs a soft or hard power cycle,
>especially in connection with using teletext.

My cheap Microsoft optical mouse crashed and rebooted a few weeks
back. It then crashed and wouldn't come back, so I power cycled
it by pulling the USB plug out, and it has worked since :-)

All right, that WAS a good enough story to tell at work - even our
hardware service people had not seen that one!

I suspect memory corruption, making the assumption that mice don't
use ECC ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Niels_J=F8rgen_Kruse?= on
<nmm1(a)cam.ac.uk> wrote:

> My cheap Microsoft optical mouse crashed and rebooted a few weeks
> back. It then crashed and wouldn't come back, so I power cycled
> it by pulling the USB plug out, and it has worked since :-)

What made you decide that it was the mouse?

Couldn't it have been corruption on the host side?

--
Mvh./Regards, Niels J�rgen Kruse, Vanl�se, Denmark
From: nmm1 on
In article <1j9yr3x.1qkn41jucv84uN%nospam(a)ab-katrinedal.dk>,
=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Niels_J=F8rgen_Kruse?= <nospam(a)ab-katrinedal.dk> wrote:

>> My cheap Microsoft optical mouse crashed and rebooted a few weeks
>> back. It then crashed and wouldn't come back, so I power cycled
>> it by pulling the USB plug out, and it has worked since :-)
>
>What made you decide that it was the mouse?
>
>Couldn't it have been corruption on the host side?

Possible, but unlikely. When it crashed, the light went out, it
flickered as it rebooted, and then came back steady. When it
failed to reboot, it continued to flicker.

My computer has ECC, as I have better things to do than track
down memory errors.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.