From: Jeff Strickland on
I'm running CHKDSK and want the results to be frozen onscreen until I have a
chance to review, or I need a way to review the results later.

When CHKDSK finishes, the results display for a few seconds, but if I'm not
there to see this happen, I don't know what was found.

Is there a logfile for the results of the CHKDSK?

From: JD on
On 19/05/2010 6:30 PM, Jeff Strickland wrote:
> I'm running CHKDSK and want the results to be frozen onscreen until I have a
> chance to review, or I need a way to review the results later.
>
> When CHKDSK finishes, the results display for a few seconds, but if I'm not
> there to see this happen, I don't know what was found.
>
> Is there a logfile for the results of the CHKDSK?

why don't you redirect the output e.g.

chkdsk x: > y:\chk_output.txt

JD

From: - Bobb - on

"JD" <No.Reply(a)Sorry.com> wrote in message
> On 19/05/2010 6:30 PM, Jeff Strickland wrote:
>> I'm running CHKDSK and want the results to be frozen onscreen until I
>> have a
>> chance to review, or I need a way to review the results later.
>>
>> When CHKDSK finishes, the results display for a few seconds, but if I'm
>> not
>> there to see this happen, I don't know what was found.
>>
>> Is there a logfile for the results of the CHKDSK?
>>

> why don't you redirect the output e.g.
>
> chkdsk x: > y:\chk_output.txt
>
> JD

I do that for defragging my XP drives.
Create a file with your command and run it as a scheduled task
When you run it, you get a logfile like so:

Windows Disk Defragmenter
Copyright (c) 2001 Microsoft Corp. and Executive Software International,
Inc.
Analysis Report
25.04 GB Total, 4.63 GB (18%) Free, 11% Fragmented (21% file
fragmentation)
Defragmentation Report
25.04 GB Total, 4.63 GB (18%) Free, 6% Fragmented (12% file
fragmentation)

My " DefragHD.bat " file looks like this:

defrag d: -f>"c:\defragD.txt"
defrag e: -f>"d:\defragE.txt"
defrag c: -f> "d:\defragC.txt"

From: JD on
On 19/05/2010 11:47 PM, - Bobb - wrote:
> "JD"<No.Reply(a)Sorry.com> wrote in message
>> On 19/05/2010 6:30 PM, Jeff Strickland wrote:
>>> I'm running CHKDSK and want the results to be frozen onscreen until I
>>> have a
>>> chance to review, or I need a way to review the results later.
>>>
>>> When CHKDSK finishes, the results display for a few seconds, but if I'm
>>> not
>>> there to see this happen, I don't know what was found.
>>>
>>> Is there a logfile for the results of the CHKDSK?
>>>

>> why don't you redirect the output e.g.
>>
>> chkdsk x:> y:\chk_output.txt
>>
>> JD
>>

> I do that for defragging my XP drives.
> Create a file with your command and run it as a scheduled task
> When you run it, you get a logfile like so:
>
> Windows Disk Defragmenter
> Copyright (c) 2001 Microsoft Corp. and Executive Software International,
> Inc.
> Analysis Report
> 25.04 GB Total, 4.63 GB (18%) Free, 11% Fragmented (21% file
> fragmentation)
> Defragmentation Report
> 25.04 GB Total, 4.63 GB (18%) Free, 6% Fragmented (12% file
> fragmentation)
>
> My " DefragHD.bat " file looks like this:
>
> defrag d: -f>"c:\defragD.txt"
> defrag e: -f>"d:\defragE.txt"
> defrag c: -f> "d:\defragC.txt"

Dont forget you can also append to your output e.g.

defrag.bat

echo "Defrag Log for " > c:\DefragLog.txt
date /t >> c:\DefragLog.txt
echo. >> c:\DefragLog.txt
defrag c: -f >> c:\DefragLog.txt
defrag d: -f >> c:\DefragLog.txt
defrag e: -f >> c:\DefragLog.txt

JD

From: GTS on
"Jeff Strickland" <crwlrjeff(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I'm running CHKDSK and want the results to be frozen onscreen until I have
> a chance to review, or I need a way to review the results later.
>
> When CHKDSK finishes, the results display for a few seconds, but if I'm
> not there to see this happen, I don't know what was found.
>
> Is there a logfile for the results of the CHKDSK?

After the computer restarts open Event Viewer - Application event log and
look for the most recent Winlogon event. The results of the chkdsk will be
reported there.
(These redirected batch file ideas aren't usable with a chkdsk /f or /r
which much run on restart.)