From: Joe J on
I having a problem adding a 2nd internal hard drive. The C drive is a
Maxtor 250 G, and as a secondary, I'm trying to get a Maxtor 160 G to work.
Both are SATA.
In setup mode it sees drive 0 and the 250 G size but for drive 1, it says
there is a SATA drive there but everything else is unknown. Both are SATA
so there are no master slaves jumpers. Any ideas?

Thanks,

From: Jeff Strickland on

"Joe J" <joejak(a)prodigy.net> wrote in message
>I having a problem adding a 2nd internal hard drive. The C drive is a
>Maxtor 250 G, and as a secondary, I'm trying to get a Maxtor 160 G to work.
>Both are SATA.
> In setup mode it sees drive 0 and the 250 G size but for drive 1, it says
> there is a SATA drive there but everything else is unknown. Both are SATA
> so there are no master slaves jumpers. Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,

You have a power plug for the new drive, right?

There are two cables that you have to connect, one for power and another for
data. The data cable is a small connector, and the power cable has a wide
connector. You might need an adaptor to convert an available 4-pin power
plug from the power supply to a SATA power plug that fits the drive.

Any new drive you bought will be unformatted, and may or may not include a
CD with drivers.

Did you format the new drive?

Sounds like you have a 250G as your existing drive that you boot to. Now you
are adding a new drive that should show up as Drive D, but could be a
different letter depending on a variety of factors. In any case, open
Windows Explorer and locate the new drive and right click then select
Format.

SATA drives are connected to SATA0, SATA1, SATA2, and so on, depending on
how many SATA ports are on the board. You want the boot drive to be
connected to SATA0 -- or the first SATA port -- and the new drive to be
connected to the next SATA port. SATA drives do not have jumpers for Master
and Slave designations, this is determined by the port they are connected
to.

From: JD on
On 19/05/2010 6:26 PM, Jeff Strickland wrote:
> "Joe J"<joejak(a)prodigy.net> wrote in message
>> I having a problem adding a 2nd internal hard drive. The C drive is a
>> Maxtor 250 G, and as a secondary, I'm trying to get a Maxtor 160 G to work.
>> Both are SATA.
>> In setup mode it sees drive 0 and the 250 G size but for drive 1, it says
>> there is a SATA drive there but everything else is unknown. Both are SATA
>> so there are no master slaves jumpers. Any ideas?
>>
>> Thanks,
>
> You have a power plug for the new drive, right?
>
> There are two cables that you have to connect, one for power and another for
> data. The data cable is a small connector, and the power cable has a wide
> connector. You might need an adaptor to convert an available 4-pin power
> plug from the power supply to a SATA power plug that fits the drive.
>
> Any new drive you bought will be unformatted, and may or may not include a
> CD with drivers.
>
> Did you format the new drive?
>
> Sounds like you have a 250G as your existing drive that you boot to. Now you
> are adding a new drive that should show up as Drive D, but could be a
> different letter depending on a variety of factors. In any case, open
> Windows Explorer and locate the new drive and right click then select
> Format.
>
> SATA drives are connected to SATA0, SATA1, SATA2, and so on, depending on
> how many SATA ports are on the board. You want the boot drive to be
> connected to SATA0 -- or the first SATA port -- and the new drive to be
> connected to the next SATA port. SATA drives do not have jumpers for Master
> and Slave designations, this is determined by the port they are connected
> to.

Hi

Just want to add a little additional info, SATA drive's do not need
jumpers (altho some older models do have them)

As for the BIOS information being UNKNOWN for the drive you could
actually have a bad drive or there could be a compatability issue with
your mobo (this is quite rare but I have seen it once with one
particular model of WD drive and a ASUS mobo (cant remember the model
numbers,it was a while ago) a BIOS update fixed that)

as Jeff has asked can you format the drive or see it in the windows
"Disk Management" ? (control panel > Administrative tools > computer
management > Disk management) you can also format it from there.

You might also want to check your BIOS settings, such as IDE/ATA/SATA
detection is set to AUTO and boot order (if you wish to boot from that
drive at a later point)

JD

From: Joe J on

"JD" <No.Reply(a)Sorry.com> wrote in message
> On 19/05/2010 6:26 PM, Jeff Strickland wrote:
>> "Joe J"<joejak(a)prodigy.net> wrote in message
>>> I having a problem adding a 2nd internal hard drive. The C drive is a
>>> Maxtor 250 G, and as a secondary, I'm trying to get a Maxtor 160 G to
>>> work.
>>> Both are SATA.
>>> In setup mode it sees drive 0 and the 250 G size but for drive 1, it
>>> says
>>> there is a SATA drive there but everything else is unknown. Both are
>>> SATA
>>> so there are no master slaves jumpers. Any ideas?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>
>> You have a power plug for the new drive, right?
>>
>> There are two cables that you have to connect, one for power and another
>> for
>> data. The data cable is a small connector, and the power cable has a wide
>> connector. You might need an adaptor to convert an available 4-pin power
>> plug from the power supply to a SATA power plug that fits the drive.
>>
>> Any new drive you bought will be unformatted, and may or may not include
>> CD with drivers.
>>
>> Did you format the new drive?
>>
>> Sounds like you have a 250G as your existing drive that you boot to. Now
>> you
>> are adding a new drive that should show up as Drive D, but could be a
>> different letter depending on a variety of factors. In any case, open
>> Windows Explorer and locate the new drive and right click then select
>> Format.
>>
>> SATA drives are connected to SATA0, SATA1, SATA2, and so on, depending on
>> how many SATA ports are on the board. You want the boot drive to be
>> connected to SATA0 -- or the first SATA port -- and the new drive to be
>> connected to the next SATA port. SATA drives do not have jumpers for
>> Master
>> and Slave designations, this is determined by the port they are connected
>> to.
>>

> Hi
>
> Just want to add a little additional info, SATA drive's do not need
> jumpers (altho some older models do have them)
>
> As for the BIOS information being UNKNOWN for the drive you could actually
> have a bad drive or there could be a compatability issue with your mobo
> (this is quite rare but I have seen it once with one particular model of
> WD drive and a ASUS mobo (cant remember the model numbers,it was a while
> ago) a BIOS update fixed that)
>
> as Jeff has asked can you format the drive or see it in the windows "Disk
> Management" ? (control panel > Administrative tools > computer management
> > Disk management) you can also format it from there.
>
> You might also want to check your BIOS settings, such as IDE/ATA/SATA
> detection is set to AUTO and boot order (if you wish to boot from that
> drive at a later point)
>
> JD

Power & data are connected. It doesn't show in disk management. As for
compatibility, both drives are Maxtor.

From: Paul on
Joe J wrote:

> "JD" <No.Reply(a)Sorry.com> wrote in message
>> On 19/05/2010 6:26 PM, Jeff Strickland wrote:
>>> "Joe J"<joejak(a)prodigy.net> wrote in message

>>> You have a power plug for the new drive, right?
>>>
>>> There are two cables that you have to connect, one for power and
>>> another for
>>> data. The data cable is a small connector, and the power cable has a
>>> wide
>>> connector. You might need an adaptor to convert an available 4-pin power
>>> plug from the power supply to a SATA power plug that fits the drive.
>>>
>>> Any new drive you bought will be unformatted, and may or may not
>>> include a
>>> CD with drivers.
>>>
>>> Did you format the new drive?
>>>
>>> Sounds like you have a 250G as your existing drive that you boot to.
>>> Now you
>>> are adding a new drive that should show up as Drive D, but could be a
>>> different letter depending on a variety of factors. In any case, open
>>> Windows Explorer and locate the new drive and right click then select
>>> Format.
>>>
>>> SATA drives are connected to SATA0, SATA1, SATA2, and so on,
>>> depending on
>>> how many SATA ports are on the board. You want the boot drive to be
>>> connected to SATA0 -- or the first SATA port -- and the new drive to be
>>> connected to the next SATA port. SATA drives do not have jumpers for
>>> Master
>>> and Slave designations, this is determined by the port they are
>>> connected
>>> to.
>>>

>> Hi
>>
>> Just want to add a little additional info, SATA drive's do not need
>> jumpers (altho some older models do have them)
>>
>> As for the BIOS information being UNKNOWN for the drive you could
>> actually have a bad drive or there could be a compatability issue with
>> your mobo (this is quite rare but I have seen it once with one
>> particular model of WD drive and a ASUS mobo (cant remember the model
>> numbers,it was a while ago) a BIOS update fixed that)
>>
>> as Jeff has asked can you format the drive or see it in the windows
>> "Disk Management" ? (control panel > Administrative tools > computer
>> management > Disk management) you can also format it from there.
>>
>> You might also want to check your BIOS settings, such as IDE/ATA/SATA
>> detection is set to AUTO and boot order (if you wish to boot from that
>> drive at a later point)
>>
>> JD
>>

> Power & data are connected. It doesn't show in disk management. As for
> compatibility, both drives are Maxtor.

If you move the drive, to the pair of cables that the working drive is
using, can you see the drive identified in the BIOS ?

Each drive has an identity text string stored in it. At BIOS
startup, the BIOS does a minimum of communicating. If you
can't get a non-corrupted identity string from the drive,
printed on the BIOS screen, chances are the drive is in trouble.
Maybe a bad cable or a bad port is enough to do it. For this particular
level of checking, the BIOS screen is enough for a quick check.
Once you can see an ID for all drives, then you can try
booting an OS for further testing.

You can also download a disk diagnostic, at least from some
of the disk drive manufacturers. I have a Seatools for DOS
floppy I got from Seagate, and I use that to check
disks. Part of the check would be detecting whether
the hard drive, can be seen on the end of the cable
or not. Not all manufacturers provide diagnostics,
and the diagnostic may insist on at least one branded
company product being connected to the machine. I haven't
tested my Seagate floppy diskette, with non-Seagate drives.

As for the comment about jumpers on SATA drives, there is
a jumper of some importance. That is the "Force150" jumper.
You use that one, when connecting a SATA II drive, to a
VIA chipset motherboard SATA port. See Figure 7 here for
more details. VIA fixed this on the VT8237S chip, so
they eventually figured it out. But older chipsets
are affected.

http://www.seagate.com/staticfiles/maxtor/en_us/documentation/installation_guides/diamondmax20_and_21_installation_guide_sata_en.pdf

Paul