From: anonymous on
On Thu, 03 Jun 2010 09:14:31 +1000, Steven Saunderson <phelum(a)Syd.au>
wrote:

>On Wed, 02 Jun 2010 12:54:07 -0500, anonymous(a)anonymous.com wrote:
>
>> Hello everyone.
>> I'm moving here from the Microsoft.public groups
>
>Wow, this is exciting. Were you shunning this group previously ?
>
>Cheers,

Nope, I used to come here a lot, but this group sort of died and
everyone was on the ms.public groups. Now that they're supposed to
die, I'm back here. Actually they all work the same, so who cares
what the name is. Maybe those MS groups wont disappear, but I'd
rather get settled here now. No sense posting to a group that may
vanish any day now.

From: Sunny on

"98 Guy" <98(a)Guy.com> wrote in message news:4C07295B.D635E13F(a)Guy.com...
> Steven Saunderson wrote:
>
>> Will the Microsoft newsgroups actually disappear ?
>
> Last November or December, Microsoft performed a major "cleaning" and
> removed over 500 newsgroups on it's server. Many of them were
> non-english-language groups, many of them for obscure microsoft
> products, and many had little to no traffic for some time. Some
> examples contrary to that were:
>
> - microsoft.public.win98.display.multi-monitor
> - microsoft.public.win98.fat32
>
> So Julien did infact issue the appropriate control messages to remove
> those 500+ groups from usenet, and those server operators that choose to
> honor those control messages (one way or another) did infact remove
> those groups from their server. This is basically an automatic process
> for most of them - it's not like they were aware of this situation.
>
> In the above two examples, the usenet server I'm using to post this
> message (aioe.org) followed the ISC list and removed those two groups
> from it's server.

Not true actually :-
I saw your test post from 2009 and checked microsoft.public.win98.fat32,
and

while it is not on the Microsoft, eternal and aioe servers it is still
available on
bigpond
Telstra
freenews.netfront
My replies to your 11 Dec 2009 "testing" were accepted on all servers (3
Jun 2010)

From: 98 Guy on
Sunny wrote:

> > - microsoft.public.win98.display.multi-monitor
> > - microsoft.public.win98.fat32
> >
> > So Julien did infact issue the appropriate control messages to
> > remove those 500+ groups from usenet, and those server operators
> > that choose to honor those control messages (one way or another)
> > did infact remove those groups from their server.
> >
> > In the above two examples, the usenet server I'm using to post
> > this message (aioe.org) followed the ISC list and removed those
> > two groups from it's server.
>
> Not true actually :-
>
> I saw your test post from 2009 and checked
> microsoft.public.win98.fat32, and while it is not on the Microsoft,
> eternal and aioe servers it is still available on (...)

What I said *IS* true, and you are admitting it.

I said that those two groups (above) are NOT on aioe.org, and you say
it's not true, then you say they are not on aioe.org (or eternal
september) but that they are on other servers.

I wasn't talking about other servers.

It is true that any server operator that follows the ISC group list
would have removed those groups. This is the case for aioe and Eternal
September.

> bigpond
> Telstra
> freenews.netfront
>
> My replies to your 11 Dec 2009 "testing" were accepted on all
> servers (3 Jun 2010)

That's nice. It just proves that those servers don't seem to follow the
ISC group list - or perhaps they will wait until October 1 before they
actually start removing the microsoft groups - or perhaps they won't
remove ANY of them.

Microsoft has started to remove the groups on their hit-list according
to the June-1 termination date that they posted to the affected groups.
They seem to be doing it in alphabetical order.

Only 1 group was removed on June 1:

microsoft.public.arabic.iis

And 377 groups were removed on June 2, from:

microsoft.public.active.directory.interfaces
microsoft.public.activex.controls
microsoft.public.activex.programming.control.webdc
microsoft.public.ado.windowsce
microsoft.public.ageofempires
microsoft.public.applicationcenter.clb
microsoft.public.applicationcenter.healthmonitor
microsoft.public.applicationcenter.nlb
microsoft.public.applicationcenter.setup
microsoft.public.ar.inetexplorer.ie6beta
microsoft.public.arabic.design.gallery
microsoft.public.arabic.frontpage
(...)

(...)
microsoft.public.es.windowsme
microsoft.public.es.windowsmedia
microsoft.public.es.windowsnt
microsoft.public.es.windowsvista
microsoft.public.es.windowsxp.aplicaciones
microsoft.public.es.windowsxp.hardware
microsoft.public.es.windowsxp.instalacion
microsoft.public.es.windowsxp.seguridad
microsoft.public.es.xbox
microsoft.public.es.xml
From: Hot-text on
We see on 10/10 if all MS groups wont disappear!

From: T.K on

<anonymous(a)anonymous.com> kirjoitti
viestiss�:6g6d06do24s46fnm7s80vi2mhrd98gvuct(a)4ax.com...
> Hello everyone.
> I'm moving here from the Microsoft.public groups
>
> Even if those groups are still working, which it appears they are,
> they will soon die, so why stay there. As as a Win98 user, I'll post
> here from now on.
>
> Later

Hi everyone,

I�m also moving here alt.windows98 and alt.windows95. As a Win95 and 98 user
I am going to read and post here, because I guess(?) those Microsoft.public
groups are going to die, also on this news server. I hope that others who
were posting at eg. microsoft.public.win98(and 95)gen.discussion, would also
move here.

See you,

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4