From: 98 Guy on
Steven Saunderson wrote:

> > Isn't there a Usenet administration that decides what groups
> > exist ? NO not one at all!
>
> I think there is.

Once you get beyond the "big 8" hierarchies, there is no single agreed
upon authoritative list or list-master.

ISC.org maintains a list that is followed by (some ? many ? most ?)
usenet operators.

> I don't know how much influence MS has and whether they've
> requested that the groups be closed

I've repeated this explanation many times. I guess I'll do it again.

Those that have some opinion or belief or understanding of Microsoft's
relationship to the microsoft.public usenet hierarchy fall into one of
the following catagories:

a) they believe that the server that microsoft operates acts like some
sort of "master" or "root" server for the microsoft.public hierarchy of
groups, and that this MS server (or servers) are required for these
groups to exist on usenet, for messages posted to them to propagate
world wide, etc.

b) they believe that the newsgroup hierarchy "microsoft.public" is the
legal property of Microsoft, and therefore microsoft can force those
groups off of usenet world-wide by threat of legal action if necessary.

Some people fall into both (a) and (b).

Both (a) and (b) are wrong.

For those that don't fall into (a) or (b), the only remaining class is:

c) they believe that usegroup names are just a string of ASCII
characters, and individual NNTP server operators can choose to carry
what-ever newsgroups they want. Or they can defer that choice to any
number of authoritative and pseudo-authoritative bodies that forumulates
so-called "official" lists of newsgroups.

> Why don't you try posting a message to
> microsoft.public.win98.disks.general and see what happens.

microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion still exists on most news
servers. It was removed from Micrsoft's server yesterday about 4:30 pm
pacific-coast time. It was removed as part of a mass removal that took
Microsoft's server down from 1730 groups to about 214.
From: Sunny on
Never said it was.
Do you bother to read anything before replying ?
e.g. the statement at the bottom of this post ?

"Hot-Text" <hot-text(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
> microsoft.public.win98.fat32 is not on AIOE go more!
> " Sunny" <wombathouse(a)yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
>> I saw your test post from 2009 and checked
>> microsoft.public.win98.fat32, and
>>
>> while it is not on the Microsoft, eternal and aioe servers it is still
>> available on
>> bigpond
>> Telstra
>> freenews.netfront
>> My replies to your 11 Dec 2009 "testing" were accepted on all servers
>> (3 Jun 2010)

First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Prev: This group easy to find.