From: Robert on
On Thu, 11 Dec 2008 10:04:02 -0600, "Paul H" <NoSpamphobergNoSpam(a)att.net> wrote:

>Thanks Pete,
>But your alternatives mostly intimidate me. Isn't using C or Java like
>coding in assembly language?

No, C is like Cobol, not assembly language. People who say C is like assembly language are
the ones who were frustrated by pointers. But Pete said C#, which is like Java. Both are
OO, and slightly higher level of abstraction than Cobol.

> If I stay with COBOL, none of the alternatives
>offer the debugging environment like MF's. Animating, breakpoints, value
>monitoring, etc. These make me productive.

MF's anim command line debugger is crude compared to gdb. MF's NetExpress GUI debugger
isn't as good as Microsoft's various workbenches such as DevStudio formerly VisDev.

> What do you think about Clarion?

It's not a mainstream language, has roots in 4GL code generation.

--- end of reply ---

From: Richard on
On Dec 12, 5:04 am, "Paul H" <NoSpamphobergNoS...(a)att.net> wrote:
> Thanks Pete,
> But your alternatives mostly intimidate me.  Isn't using C or Java like
> coding in assembly language?  If I stay with COBOL, none of the alternatives
> offer the debugging environment like MF's.  Animating, breakpoints, value
> monitoring, etc.  These make me productive.  What do you think about
> Clarion?  I did buy a copy a few years ago, but gave up trying to learn to
> use it.  Maybe I'll give it another look.
> Paul
>
> "Pete Dashwood" <dashw...(a)removethis.enternet.co.nz> wrote in message

> Paul H wrote:
> > I've been using MicroFocus Net Express for many years, but now I want
> > to write a small application that would sell for maybe $20.00.  MF
> > would charge a run-time fee to each user, so I need to select a
> > different Compiler. Where can I find a list of inexpensive compilers,
> > with ratings?  Does such a list exist?  TIA, Paul
>
> > I neglected to mention that I need to use it in a Vista environment.
> > Thanks.
>
> Paul,
>
> given the criteria, have you thought about using Open COBOL?
>
> (The price is pretty right)
>
> One reason I moved to Fujitsu was because of MicroFocus Runtime Fees. (The
> main reason was because they shafted the VISOC user base... but that's a
> long time ago and can fairly be considered water under the bridge.)
>
> Later of course, I moved off COBOL altogether and today enjoy a free
> compiler, a free IDE that is light years ahead of the COBOL one, and instant
> support directly from the Internet for free.
>
> Nevertheless, if you really don't want to change languages, Open COBOL might
> be an option worth investigating.
>
> There are more existing lines of code written for Open Source now, than
> there are for COBOL in the World. (Some of the Open Source may be written in
> COBOL, but it would be an insignificant amount.)
>
> Even though the Open Source movement has failed to really penetrate the
> commercial marketplace to any significant extent (so far...) it is well
> worth keeping an eye on what they are doing.
>
> I like their approach; most of what they are writing is components and they
> are getting a very good uptake for them.
>
> Here's what they claim:http://www.eweek.com/index2.php?option=content&task=view&id=50786&pop...
>
> I have been saying for a long time that the age of source code being King is
> gone. People are using Open Source binaries without requiring the source and
> most open "source" is NOT source at all.

You are confused. While the article says that many projects are
distributing compiled binaries the source for those is available.

From: Richard on
On Dec 12, 5:04 am, "Paul H" <NoSpamphobergNoS...(a)att.net> wrote:
> Thanks Pete,
> But your alternatives mostly intimidate me.

You should note that while OpenCobol, Cobol-IT, tinyCobol are mostly
ANS85 they may not have features that you think of a 'normal'.
MicroFocus has many extensions, such as X/Open and ADIS. These are not
standard ANS85 Cobol and may not exist in other compilers.

For example in Microfocus you can ACCEPT and DISPLAY AT position (or
variations such as LINE COLUMN) to produce screen interactive
programs.

In Microfocus (and other commercial products) you can have shared
files with record locking.

These are not standard ANS85 and may not be available in other
compilers, or may not work the same as MF or other commercial products
(RM, Acu, etc).

> Isn't using C or Java like
> coding in assembly language?

No. Using GOTO or not using scope terminators in Cobol is "like using

From: Pete Dashwood on
Richard wrote:
> [...]
>> written in
>> COBOL, but it would be an insignificant amount.)
>>
>> Even though the Open Source movement has failed to really penetrate
>> the
>> commercial marketplace to any significant extent (so far...) it is
>> well
>> worth keeping an eye on what they are doing.
>>
>> I like their approach; most of what they are writing is components
>> and they
>> are getting a very good uptake for them.
>>
>> Here's what they
>> claim:http://www.eweek.com/index2.php?option=content&task=view&id=50786&pop...
>>
>> I have been saying for a long time that the age of source code being
>> King is
>> gone. People are using Open Source binaries without requiring the
>> source and
>> most open "source" is NOT source at all.

Apparently, you like to think that. Never let the facts get in the way of
your perception.

> While the article says that many projects are
> distributing compiled binaries the source for those is available.

I did not say otherwise. The article also says that the BINARIES are being
freely distriuted which is all I commented on. Not everyone who uses the
binaries is downloading the source. They have no need to, and that was my
point. However, they CAN do so if they wish.

Pete.

From: James J. Gavan on
Paul H wrote:
> I've been using MicroFocus Net Express for many years, but now I want to
> write a small application that would sell for maybe $20.00. MF would charge
> a run-time fee to each user, so I need to select a different Compiler.
> Where can I find a list of inexpensive compilers, with ratings? Does such a
> list exist? TIA, Paul
>
> I neglected to mention that I need to use it in a Vista environment.
> Thanks.

So you've got it working with Vista :-).

Now you will have to check this out specifically - a LONnnnngggg time
ago, M/F upped the ante on Net Express by telling us they wanted more
'loot'. They obviously got some very nasty messages back, because they
relented, somewhat. Again check specifics, but it goes something like
this - if you were using N/E V 3.1, up to Fixpack # ?, and your sale
price to customers was LESS than $1,000 - then you were OK - they
introduced an amnesty clause.

Now assuming one upgraded to N/E V 5.1, I'm not sure that those same
rules would apply. I haven't seem him in writing for quite a while now
but probably the best man to contact is Alan Wheeler, who was the M/F
spokesman for the 'Amnesty' clause. The last e-mail address I have for
him is :-

Alan.Wheeler(a)microfocus.com

No need to rush elsewhere, ignoring your existing skills with M/F COBOL,
if the 'Amnesty' clause applies to you.

(Bearing in mind that both Acu and RM(Liant), are now both owned by
Micro Focus, it doesn't leave you much choice if you want to stick with
a 'professional' compiler - just Fujitsu - but that's not cheap now either).

Jimmy