From: Richard on
On Dec 13, 2:42 pm, docdw...(a)panix.com () wrote:
> In article <ghufmm41...(a)news1.newsguy.com>,
> Michael Wojcik  <mwoj...(a)newsguy.com> wrote:
>
> >docdw...(a)panix.com wrote:
>
> >> the first resonates; as I recall it Ritchie designed C at Bell Labs (back
> >> when it was Bell Labs, early 1970s) as a replacement for Assembley
> >> mnemonics.
>
> >Compiled languages in general were designed as a replacement for
> >assembly programming. That doesn't make them "like assembly".
>
> It was not my intention to give that impression, Mr Wojcik, and I
> apologise for my clumsiness in having done so.
>

> >>  It is a compiled language, true, but still provides low-level
> >> system/memory/device access in an Assembley-like manner.
>
> >No, it doesn't. Some C implementations may extend the language to
> >provide direct access to memory and devices (whatever that may mean on
> >the platform), but that's not part of the C language.
>
> If C, in fact, does *not* 'provide low-level access to memory'

Define 'low level access'.

> and is does
> *not* have a 'primary use is for "system programming", including
> implementing operating systems and embedded system applications,

How have you established what its 'primary use' would be ?

C was first used for applications and utilities (such as editing and
word processing) well before it was used for operating systems. So if
'primary' has its usual meaning of 'first' or 'initial' then that is
not it.

If you meant 'major' then I doubt that operating systems represent the
majority of lines of code in C.

> due to a
> combination of desirable characteristics such as code portability and
> efficiency,

Much the same as many, such as FORTRAN.

> ability to access specific hardware addresses,

Whether it can or not depends on several factors including the
implementation and the memory model of the system.

> ability to
> "pun" types to match externally imposed data access requirements'

As with many languages C often, but not always, uses the machine's
types.

From: Anonymous on

From: btiffin on
On Dec 11, 3:33 pm, Richard <rip...(a)Azonic.co.nz> wrote:
> On Dec 12, 5:04 am, "Paul H" <NoSpamphobergNoS...(a)att.net> wrote:
>
> > Thanks Pete,
> > But your alternatives mostly intimidate me.
>
> You should note that while OpenCobol, Cobol-IT, tinyCobol are mostly
> ANS85 they may not have features that you think of a 'normal'.
> MicroFocus has many extensions, such as X/Open and ADIS. These are not
> standard ANS85 Cobol and may not exist in other compilers.
>
> For example in Microfocus you can ACCEPT and DISPLAY AT position (or
> variations such as LINE COLUMN) to produce screen interactive
> programs.
>
> In Microfocus (and other commercial products) you can have shared
> files with record locking.
>
> These are not standard ANS85 and may not be available in other
> compilers, or may not work the same as MF or other commercial products
> (RM, Acu, etc).
>
> > Isn't using C or Java like
> > coding in assembly language?
>
> No. Using GOTO or not using scope terminators in Cobol is "like using
> assembly language".
>
> > If I stay with COBOL, none of the alternatives
> > offer the debugging environment like MF's.  Animating, breakpoints, value
> > monitoring, etc.  These make me productive.
> > What do you think about
> > Clarion?  I did buy a copy a few years ago, but gave up trying to learn to
> > use it.  Maybe I'll give it another look.
> > Paul

Recent OpenCOBOL 1.1 pre-release versions have a fair handle on SCREEN
SECTION and DISPLAY var LINE nn COLUMN nn WITH ERASE EOS etc...

As far as I know, the only parts of the NIST test suite not passed now
are REPORT SECTION and COMMUNICATION SECTION.

With Berkeley DB, most of the sophisticated record and key management
options are supported and there are efforts afoot for a native VBISAM
layer to make the BDB dependency optional.

We now have layers for embedding JavaScript core (SpiderMonkey), Lua,
Perl, Tcl/Tk, libCURL, Regina REXX, SQLite (both API and a shell
clone), libDBI for MySQL and other databases. Bindings to a full
fledged GUI through GTK+ are in progress and even in its early
version, support for windows, buttons, text entry, file dialogs
etcetera allow for simple but useful GUI applications. Due to
OpenCOBOL's model of C generation there are already linkage options
for gnat Ada, gfortran and the plethora of other languages that
generate object files. Routines for access to gnuplot have been
written, along with shell scripts and other external tools.

A very complete ncurses layer has existed for quite sometime in the
cobcurses package.

Documentation is being written and grows daily including instructions
for using the gdb debugger.

Oh, and it's a very comprehensive COBOL compiler as is, and
development is so active at the moment that it is hard to keep up. ;)

I recommend that anyone and everyone give it a go. http://opencobol.org

A repository of pre-built binaries exist for AIX, HPUX, WIN32 and I've
been running it actively on Debian GNU/Linux since I first bumped into
it a few scant months ago. Information about the repository can be
found in the opencobol.org forums.

Cheers,
Brian
From: William M. Klein on
Brian,
As far as '85 Standard compliance goes, do you know if Roger (or anyone) has
finished all the nested program "stuff"? Las I heard, I didn't think so.

Also, I do not think that ANSI intrinsic functions have been implemented yet -
but again, I could be mistaken. (The Intrinsic Functions Amendment/module was
"optional" for ANSI compliance but was required for FIPS compliance - by 1993).

Having said that, it is a VERY complete compiler including both '85 Standard
features and many common extensions.

--
Bill Klein
wmklein <at> ix.netcom.com

From: btiffin on
On Dec 13, 3:52 pm, "William M. Klein" <wmkl...(a)nospam.ix.netcom.com>
wrote:
> [...]
> for gnat Ada, gfortran and the plethora of other languages that
> generate object files.  Routines for access to gnuplot have been
> written, along with shell scripts and other external tools.
>
> A very complete ncurses layer has existed for quite sometime in the
> cobcurses package.
>
> Documentation is being written and grows daily including instructions
> for using the gdb debugger.
>
> Oh, and it's a very comprehensive COBOL compiler as is, and
> development is so active at the moment that it is hard to keep up.  ;)
>
> I recommend that anyone and everyone give it a go.  http://opencobol.org
>
> A repository of pre-built binaries exist for AIX, HPUX, WIN32 and I've
> been running it actively on Debian GNU/Linux since I first bumped into
> it a few scant months ago.  Information about the repository can be

Re: Intrinsic FUNCTION. Unless I'm mistaken, all the functions are in
1.1

http://opencobol.add1tocobol.com/#q-does-opencobol-implement-any-intrinsic-functions

Re: Nested programs. Again, as far as I know, yes. Nested programs
are fully supported (I could be wrong, as there may be little bits
missing, but I don't think so). Recent addition of GLOBAL support
added the last piece of the puzzle.

Cheers,
Brian