From: Paul H on
I should have added that in the late 60's the "Journal of the ACM" had an
article that said something to the effect that all processing could be
driven by thorough description of data structures. That's why I like COBOL
so much. By describing data structures, the code needed to deal with
arithmetic or logic can ignore these details. The programmer is unlikely to
scribble on memory outside of his data division. No wonder more lines of
COBOL code (a quarter of a trillion lines?) are in use today, with billions
more written every year. And consider the number of lines of lower level
language that are needed to do what single lines of COBOL do. "string" and
"unstring delimited by" are good examples. I dread the flaming responses
that these comments will cause. Please, just let me express my opinion
without being punished. Paul

"Paul H" <NoSpamphobergNoSpam(a)att.net> wrote in message
Wow! I have almost no idea what you guy are arguing about (maybe a little).
I do understand that my comment that I want to avoid anything that seems
like assembly language caused most of this.

I started my career with Autocoder on an IBM 1401, then Honeywell's
Easycoder, then a couple others whose names I can't remember (something on a
Data general computer?) I used 8086 machine language to enable my COBOL to
access serial ports, Enuf assembler!!!

I conclude that no COBOL will do what I need. Maybe Clarion (I already own
version 5.5), or RealBasic, if I can find a data base that stays in my
target price range.

Thanks for your help, everybody.

Paul

"Paul H" <NoSpamphobergNoSpam(a)att.net> wrote in message
I've been using MicroFocus Net Express for many years, but now I want to
write a small application that would sell for maybe $20.00. MF would charge
a run-time fee to each user, so I need to select a different Compiler.
Where can I find a list of inexpensive compilers, with ratings? Does such a
list exist? TIA, Paul

From: Richard on
On Dec 17, 6:18 pm, "Paul H" <NoSpamphobergNoS...(a)att.net> wrote:
> Wow!  I have almost no idea what you guy are arguing about (maybe a little).
> I do understand that my comment that I want to avoid anything that seems
> like assembly language caused most of this.

> I started my career with Autocoder on an IBM 1401, then Honeywell's
> Easycoder, then a couple others whose names I can't remember (something on a
> Data general computer?)  I used 8086 machine language to enable my COBOL to
> access serial ports,  Enuf assembler!!!
>
> I conclude that no COBOL will do what I need.

As your only specified criteria were 'no run-time fees' and
'inexpensive' then OpenCobol and COBOL-IT can meet these 100%.

If you want to use a Microfocus ADIS type user interface, ie screen
section then apparently OpenCobol and COBOl-IT will do this too. They
will also give file sharing and record locking.

COBOL-IT does have an animator style debugger.

What other requirements do you have that these do not meet ?

> Maybe Clarion (I already own
> version 5.5), or RealBasic, if I can find a data base that stays in my
> target price range.

PostgreSQL
MySQL
SQLLite
FireBird

http://www.freebyte.com/programming/database/#opensourcedatabases

From: William M. Klein on
Paul H,
Wasn't the answer of using OpenCOBOL, the one that would actually provide you
with what you want?

--
Bill Klein
wmklein <at> ix.netcom.com

From: Anonymous on
In article <gi94kb1qt9(a)news2.newsguy.com>,
Michael Wojcik <mwojcik(a)newsguy.com> wrote:
>docdwarf(a)panix.com wrote:
>> In article <gi63hm324ng(a)news7.newsguy.com>,
>> Michael Wojcik <mwojcik(a)newsguy.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> ISO 9899-1999 is, of course, the authoritive source; but the
>>> comp.lang.c FAQ would also have cleared up this misconception.
>>
>> I have found something calling it'sself the comp.lang.c FAQ at
>> http://c-faq.com/ . This leads me to a section about pointers,
>> http://c-faq.com/ptrs/index.html , and that leads me to a question about
>> 'what is the difference between arrays and pointers'
>> http://c-faq.com/aryptr/practdiff.html . From that page:
>>
>> --begin quoted text:
>>
>> A pointer is a reference to any data element (of a particular type)
>> anywhere.
>>
>> --end quoted text

[snip]

>> Now... if the reference provided by a pointer is one towards low-level
>> memory (a sub-set of 'anywhere')
>
>If it is. But it may not be, since there are many other subsets of
>"anywhere". The quoted text doesn't say that pointers could be
>constructed to point to anywhere; it says the object referred to by
>the pointer could be anywhere.

Mr Wojcik, my eyes are not what they used to be... the reference I supply
states 'any data element (of a particular type)', not 'object'. If there
is another reference which states 'an object, and only an object, is 'any
data element (of a particular type)'' then your point is valid... if not
then other conclusions might not only be possible, but valid.

As I stated earlier... things might have changed in the decades since I
was taught about this.

DD

From: Anonymous on
In article <49488b95$0$5486$bbae4d71(a)news.suddenlink.net>,
Paul H <NoSpamphobergNoSpam(a)att.net> wrote:
>Wow! I have almost no idea what you guy are arguing about (maybe a little).

Welcome to the club, Mr Hoberg... now, try not to get beaten too severely
with it!

DD