From: Paul H on
I've been using MicroFocus Net Express for many years, but now I want to
write a small application that would sell for maybe $20.00. MF would charge
a run-time fee to each user, so I need to select a different Compiler.
Where can I find a list of inexpensive compilers, with ratings? Does such a
list exist? TIA, Paul

From: Paul H on
I've been using MicroFocus Net Express for many years, but now I want to
write a small application that would sell for maybe $20.00. MF would charge
a run-time fee to each user, so I need to select a different Compiler.
Where can I find a list of inexpensive compilers, with ratings? Does such a
list exist? TIA, Paul

I neglected to mention that I need to use it in a Vista environment.
Thanks.

From: Pete Dashwood on
Paul H wrote:
> I've been using MicroFocus Net Express for many years, but now I want
> to write a small application that would sell for maybe $20.00. MF
> would charge a run-time fee to each user, so I need to select a
> different Compiler. Where can I find a list of inexpensive compilers,
> with ratings? Does such a list exist? TIA, Paul
>
> I neglected to mention that I need to use it in a Vista environment.
> Thanks.

Paul,

given the criteria, have you thought about using Open COBOL?

(The price is pretty right)

One reason I moved to Fujitsu was because of MicroFocus Runtime Fees. (The
main reason was because they shafted the VISOC user base... but that's a
long time ago and can fairly be considered water under the bridge.)

Later of course, I moved off COBOL altogether and today enjoy a free
compiler, a free IDE that is light years ahead of the COBOL one, and instant
support directly from the Internet for free.

Nevertheless, if you really don't want to change languages, Open COBOL might
be an option worth investigating.

There are more existing lines of code written for Open Source now, than
there are for COBOL in the World. (Some of the Open Source may be written in
COBOL, but it would be an insignificant amount.)

Even though the Open Source movement has failed to really penetrate the
commercial marketplace to any significant extent (so far...) it is well
worth keeping an eye on what they are doing.

I like their approach; most of what they are writing is components and they
are getting a very good uptake for them.

Here's what they claim:
http://www.eweek.com/index2.php?option=content&task=view&id=50786&pop=1&hide_ads=1&page=0&hide_js=1

I have been saying for a long time that the age of source code being King is
gone. People are using Open Source binaries without requiring the source and
most open "source" is NOT source at all.

Although I have bought and paid for the (old) fujitsu NetCOBOL and
PowerCOBOL compilers (Not the (new) .NETCOBOL for .NET CLR generating)
compiler, if I didn't have those compilers available and REALLY needed to do
something in COBOL, I'd DEFINITELY have a look at Open COBOL.

Maybe, if it is a small project, it might be time to consider moving to C#?
You can download the compiler, the IDE, and video tutorials on how to use
them, all for free. The community is very supportive and I've never had a
problem that wasn't solved, usually in minutes.

Or maybe Java? You can get Eclipse for free and Java is free. Both excellent
and useful alternatives to COBOL

Whatever you decide, I wish you luck in your enterprise.

Pete.

From: Alain Reymond on
Paul H a �crit :
> I've been using MicroFocus Net Express for many years, but now I want to
> write a small application that would sell for maybe $20.00. MF would charge
> a run-time fee to each user, so I need to select a different Compiler.
> Where can I find a list of inexpensive compilers, with ratings? Does such a
> list exist? TIA, Paul
>
> I neglected to mention that I need to use it in a Vista environment.
> Thanks.

Paul,

There is a new interesting open source project based on opencobol that
might interest you : http://www.cobol-it.com
It works under Windows, Linux and some other Unix flavors.
I have not yet tested it but it seems very serious and has a very good
resonance in the press.

Best regards.

Alain
From: Paul H on
Thanks Pete,
But your alternatives mostly intimidate me. Isn't using C or Java like
coding in assembly language? If I stay with COBOL, none of the alternatives
offer the debugging environment like MF's. Animating, breakpoints, value
monitoring, etc. These make me productive. What do you think about
Clarion? I did buy a copy a few years ago, but gave up trying to learn to
use it. Maybe I'll give it another look.
Paul