From: Ben on
I search my inbox with Lookeen and it always shows me the newest items first. By default... If you want to check it out www.lookeen.net

Barry S wrote:

Jeff,I sympathize. We are stuck on Outlook 2003 (corporate IT).
22-Jan-09

Jeff,

I sympathize. We are stuck on Outlook 2003 (corporate IT). I frequently
search my Inbox, which currently contains 4,689 items spanning the last few
years. I see the behavior where it retrieves the oldest items (which for us,
have been archived in an enterprise vault) first. I make a lot of use of the
Advanced Find features, but the default date-range options are too limited.
Received "In the last 7 days" is good. But I'd much rather have "In the last
N days" (where I get to enter 'N', and it 'sticks').

It's possible to do this with Advanced tab in Advanced Find, but it takes
quite a bit more clicking to set it up.

Barry

"Jeff.Thorn(a)gmail.com" wrote:

On Tuesday, November 18, 2008 10:43 AM
Gordon wrote:

Re: Outlook 2007 Instant Search Flaw
Dunno -mine always shows the most recent at the top.....

On Tuesday, November 18, 2008 11:30 AM
Patrick Reed wrote:

Unfortunately, I'm no expert with searching.
Unfortunately, I'm no expert with searching. But, as I understand it, the
current items in whatever data file is being used here are (or should)
already be indexed. As new items arrive, indexing should be running in the
background when the PC has available resources. With a very large collection
of data and many new items being added frequently, obviously the searches
will take longer and longer. Before performing a search in Outlook, check
Tools | Instant Search | Indexing Status... Does it ever show there are
items remaining to be indexed?

If it's just a simple matter of the order in which search results display, I
believe however the current view is sorted when you start the search is what
dictates the sort order for the results. It should just be a simple matter
of changing the folder's sort order to "Newest on top" to show these at the
top of the search results when you kick off the search.

--
-Patrick Reed

<Jeff.Thorn(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

On Tuesday, November 18, 2008 2:18 PM
Patrick Reed wrote:

I'm not sure you can exclude items after a certain date from being indexed.
I'm not sure you can exclude items after a certain date from being indexed.
You could move these items that are one+ years old out of this folder and
put them in an archive folder or somewhere else. Otherwise I would suggest
hitting the drop-down next to the serach field to expand the Query Builder
and narrow the search using date criteria.

--
-Patrick Reed

<Jeff.Thorn(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

On Tuesday, November 18, 2008 2:53 PM
Diane Poremsky [MVP] wrote:

That's not how it works with Instant Search - it is how it worked with Find in
That's not how it works with Instant Search - it is how it worked with Find
in older versions or if Windows Desktop Search is not installed in 2007.
Instant search should be almost instantaneous though, unlike the older
versions where it was painful to wait for the new items. All mail items
search go by folder, so if older items are in a folder that is higher in the
tree, they may come up faster but again, it should only be a split second or
so faster.

You can search by date - type received:this month in the search field. Or
click the down chevrons to expand the search dialog and Add Criteria to add
Received.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:
dailytips-subscribe-request(a)lists.outlooktips.net

EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE-REQUEST(a)PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM

newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.

<Jeff.Thorn(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

On Thursday, November 20, 2008 7:38 AM
Jeff.Thor wrote:

Outlook 2007 Instant Search Flaw
Using Outlook 2007's Instant Search feature, is there ANY WAY to make
it start searching the newest messages first? If I use it on a large
folder, it always returns emails that are years old before finding the
most recent email (which I am usually looking for). This is a huge
annouance and would GREATLY improve the feature.

Any advice is appreciated!

Jeff

On Thursday, November 20, 2008 7:38 AM
Jeff.Thor wrote:

By default I always have the view setting to show the newest on thetop.
By default I always have the view setting to show the newest on the
top. Yet, when I kick off a search, I first see emails from 2007 come
up, then some from Jan 08, then March 08, finally when the search is
almost done, I see the email from last month which I was originally
searching for. It is quite a pain!

On Thursday, January 22, 2009 11:03 AM
Barry S wrote:

Jeff,I sympathize. We are stuck on Outlook 2003 (corporate IT).
Jeff,

I sympathize. We are stuck on Outlook 2003 (corporate IT). I frequently
search my Inbox, which currently contains 4,689 items spanning the last few
years. I see the behavior where it retrieves the oldest items (which for us,
have been archived in an enterprise vault) first. I make a lot of use of the
Advanced Find features, but the default date-range options are too limited.
Received "In the last 7 days" is good. But I'd much rather have "In the last
N days" (where I get to enter 'N', and it 'sticks').

It's possible to do this with Advanced tab in Advanced Find, but it takes
quite a bit more clicking to set it up.

Barry

"Jeff.Thorn(a)gmail.com" wrote:

Build A Managed C# Playing Card UserControl
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/3bdc8513-f37f-4fb1-90d1-f4121997a18d/build-a-managed-c-playin.aspx

Pages: 1
Prev: Outloo 2003 pst file finding?
Next: outlook