From: Grant Edwards on
On 2010-06-28, Thomas Jollans <thomas(a)jollans.com> wrote:
> On 06/28/2010 03:21 AM, Stephen Hansen wrote:
>> On 6/27/10 6:11 PM, geremy condra wrote:
>>>
>>> Might as well spare yourself the trouble and install linux or *bsd. It's
>>> probably easier.
>>
>> Not at all, bash via msys is trivial to install and use.
>>

> Installing Linux is still a LOT easier than installing a working MSYS
> since you get proper package management with proper dependency
> resolution, while with MSYS, you end up downloading dozens of different
> inter-dependent GNU packages one-by-one until anything works. At least
> that's what it looked like a couple of months ago.
>
> Granted, cygwin has a nice installer.

Cygwin's installer is OK if you're installing while online.
Otherwise, it's difficult unless you download absolutely everything.

--
Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! Let me do my TRIBUTE
at to FISHNET STOCKINGS ...
From: Stephen Hansen on
On 6/28/10 2:20 AM, Thomas Jollans wrote:
> On 06/28/2010 03:21 AM, Stephen Hansen wrote:
>> On 6/27/10 6:11 PM, geremy condra wrote:
>>>
>>> Might as well spare yourself the trouble and install linux or *bsd. It's
>>> probably easier.
>>
>> Not at all, bash via msys is trivial to install and use.
>>

> Installing Linux is still a LOT easier than installing a working MSYS
> since you get proper package management with proper dependency
> resolution, while with MSYS, you end up downloading dozens of different
> inter-dependent GNU packages one-by-one until anything works. At least
> that's what it looked like a couple of months ago.
>
> Granted, cygwin has a nice installer.

Huh?

The hardest part about installing msys is adding mingw-get to the PATH.
Then you just "mingw-get install mingwrt w32api binutils gcc" and you
have your basic environment done. If there's something you want in
addition, say gdb, you just mingw-get install gdb. You don't have to
pick and choose various interdependent packages. It does allt he
dependency stuff for the packages it can handle.

Now, mingw-get is a bit newish (though I don't know when they came out
with it), but before that you only had to pick and choose packages IIRC
if you decided you wanted a really minimal msys. You could get a basic
'meh, basically everything normal' and just run with it and have nearly
everything you'd expect in a bash-command-line sort of environment.

--

... Stephen Hansen
... Also: Ixokai

From: Stephen Hansen on
On 6/28/10 7:15 AM, Edward A. Falk wrote:
> In article<mailman.2146.1277570052.32709.python-list(a)python.org>,
> Thomas Jollans<thomas(a)jollans.com> wrote:
>
>> There is no reason for print not being a function. Also, do you use
>> print *that* much? Really?
>
> I use it all the time. Who doesn't? What do you use instead?

It depends on what my purpose is.

If its debugging output or something similar, I use the logging module
exclusively (the fine grained control it gives me on just how much
information, categorized as such, with which modules, is invaluable to
prevent brain hemorrhage from TMI or confusion from TLI).

Any other use, I basically operate on a file object. I never write to
stdout directly, but instead to some file object passed into some
function-- it may very well be stdout, but the code doesn't know that,
because I half the time I don't have a stdout (or stderr) and half the
time I do.

I *could* use, say, print >>file_object, "..." in those cases, but I
sort of hate that construct kind of a lot. So don't. :)

--

... Stephen Hansen
... Also: Ixokai

From: Thomas Jollans on
On 06/28/2010 04:36 PM, Stephen Hansen wrote:
> On 6/28/10 2:20 AM, Thomas Jollans wrote:

>>> Not at all, bash via msys is trivial to install and use.
>>>

>> Installing Linux is still a LOT easier than installing a working MSYS
>> since you get proper package management with proper dependency
>> resolution, while with MSYS, you end up downloading dozens of different
>> inter-dependent GNU packages one-by-one until anything works. At least
>> that's what it looked like a couple of months ago.
>>
>> Granted, cygwin has a nice installer.
>
> Huh?
>
> The hardest part about installing msys is adding mingw-get to the PATH.
> Then you just "mingw-get install mingwrt w32api binutils gcc" and you
> have your basic environment done. If there's something you want in
> addition, say gdb, you just mingw-get install gdb. You don't have to
> pick and choose various interdependent packages. It does allt he
> dependency stuff for the packages it can handle.
>
> Now, mingw-get is a bit newish (though I don't know when they came out
> with it), but before that you only had to pick and choose packages IIRC
> if you decided you wanted a really minimal msys. You could get a basic
> 'meh, basically everything normal' and just run with it and have nearly
> everything you'd expect in a bash-command-line sort of environment.

mingw-get. That might be exactly the tool I wish I'd had. Does it
install MSYS as well or only strictly MinGW components? To quote the
information I did have (which is still on the MinGW homepage):

"""Currently, the best way to download MSYS is to choose the MSYS
components you want from the download page and to extract them one by
one in an empty directory."""

Oh well
Thomas
From: Stephen Hansen on
On 6/28/10 9:23 AM, Thomas Jollans wrote:
>>> Installing Linux is still a LOT easier than installing a working MSYS
>>> since you get proper package management with proper dependency
>>> resolution, while with MSYS, you end up downloading dozens of different
>>> inter-dependent GNU packages one-by-one until anything works. At least
>>> that's what it looked like a couple of months ago.
>>>
>>> Granted, cygwin has a nice installer.
>>
>> Huh?
>>
>> The hardest part about installing msys is adding mingw-get to the PATH.
>> Then you just "mingw-get install mingwrt w32api binutils gcc" and you
>> have your basic environment done. If there's something you want in
>> addition, say gdb, you just mingw-get install gdb. You don't have to
>> pick and choose various interdependent packages. It does allt he
>> dependency stuff for the packages it can handle.
>>
>> Now, mingw-get is a bit newish (though I don't know when they came out
>> with it), but before that you only had to pick and choose packages IIRC
>> if you decided you wanted a really minimal msys. You could get a basic
>> 'meh, basically everything normal' and just run with it and have nearly
>> everything you'd expect in a bash-command-line sort of environment.
>>

> mingw-get. That might be exactly the tool I wish I'd had. Does it
> install MSYS as well or only strictly MinGW components? To quote the
> information I did have (which is still on the MinGW homepage):
>
> """Currently, the best way to download MSYS is to choose the MSYS
> components you want from the download page and to extract them one by
> one in an empty directory."""

Umm, I'm confused now.

I have no idea, I think perhaps I last installed msys itself with the
full-installer bit, and have since added certain mingw components with
mingw-get, but I have no idea.

Except I swear that's not what happened.

I don't know, I retract all claims, and am going to go back to my OSX
Terminal.app :)

--

... Stephen Hansen
... Also: Ixokai