From: Stephen Hansen on
On 6/27/10 4:03 PM, Eric_Dexter(a)msn.com wrote:
> On Jun 27, 2:09 pm, "Martin v. Loewis"<mar...(a)v.loewis.de> wrote:
>> The same happened with other kinds of deprecations and removals through
>> the life of 2.x. Some applications where tied to a specific Python
>> release, or to a specific feature that had been deprecated. These either
>> needed to be ported, or dropped.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Martin
>
> It should be easier to have a large number of python versions on one
> machine... I am realy fond of 2.5 so I am probily going to start
> compiling them or just include the python2.5 exe if I port stuff and
> settle it that way..

Why do you think you'll need to compile anything?

I can't speak for the the people who run python.org, but considering you
can still get 1.5.2 in binary form for windows, I don't see why they'd
ever stop offering Python 2.5.

Just because new development for the 2.x series is coming to a halt,
doesn't mean anyone's forcing everyone to start using 2.6, 2.7, or 3.x,
or that suddenly Python.org is going to stop offering downloads for it.
There's just no reason for them to bother as long as there's any sort of
interest. I mean, ten years from now maybe if no one ever downloads 2.5
-- but as it is, its 11 years since 1.5.2 was released and no one seems
inclined to remove it. :)

--

... Stephen Hansen
... Also: Ixokai

From: Tim Roberts on
Stefan Reich <wertiges.produkt(a)googlemail.com> wrote:

>Consider Java as a better example: JDK 1.6 still runs and compiles
>everything written for JDK 1.0. That is proper management.

And Python has the same management. Python 2.6 still runs and compiles
everything written for Python 2.0. If there is ever a JDK 2.0, I'll wager
it will have the same incompatibility issues as Python 3.0. That "major
number" change is telling you something. PHP 5 will not handle a lot of
PHP 4 code.

>Python 3 is, I'm sorry to say, an example of unfathomably bad management.

Are you arguing that language developers do not have the right to make
incompatible changes, ever?
--
Tim Roberts, timr(a)probo.com
Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.
From: Grant Edwards on
On 2010-06-27, Benjamin Kaplan <benjamin.kaplan(a)case.edu> wrote:

>> It should be easier to have a large number of python versions on one
>> machine... ?I am realy fond of 2.5 so I am probily going to start
>> compiling them or just include the python2.5 exe if I port stuff and
>> settle it that way..
>
> You're on the only platform where it isn't that easy. All us *nix
> users have to do is compile it with the altinstall flag, and then use
> #!/usr/bin/env python25
> Windows uses the file extension instead of the shebang line to execute
> stuff, so it's harder for you to have multiple versions.

If you install a real shell on Windows, then the hash-bang line works
fine. :)

--
Grant

From: geremy condra on
On Sun, Jun 27, 2010 at 8:50 PM, Grant Edwards <invalid(a)invalid.invalid> wrote:
> On 2010-06-27, Benjamin Kaplan <benjamin.kaplan(a)case.edu> wrote:
>
>>> It should be easier to have a large number of python versions on one
>>> machine... ?I am realy fond of 2.5 so I am probily going to start
>>> compiling them or just include the python2.5 exe if I port stuff and
>>> settle it that way..
>>
>> You're on the only platform where it isn't that easy. All us *nix
>> users have to do is compile it with the altinstall flag, and then use
>> #!/usr/bin/env python25
>> Windows uses the file extension instead of the shebang line to execute
>> stuff, so it's harder for you to have multiple versions.
>
> If you install a real shell on Windows, then the hash-bang line works
> fine. :)

Might as well spare yourself the trouble and install linux or *bsd. It's
probably easier.

Geremy Condra
From: Stephen Hansen on
On 6/27/10 6:11 PM, geremy condra wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 27, 2010 at 8:50 PM, Grant Edwards<invalid(a)invalid.invalid> wrote:
>> If you install a real shell on Windows, then the hash-bang line works
>> fine. :)
>
> Might as well spare yourself the trouble and install linux or *bsd. It's
> probably easier.

Not at all, bash via msys is trivial to install and use.

--

... Stephen Hansen
... Also: Ixokai