From: Steven D'Aprano on
On Wed, 30 Jun 2010 22:52:06 +1000, Lie Ryan wrote:

>> (1) The main use-cases for print are quick (and usually dirty) scripts,
>> interactive use, and as a debugging aid.
>
> That is precisely how the quick-and-dirty syntax of print statement can
> be justified. While debugging, you'll need to be able to quickly add and
> delete prints here and there, and the extra parens can quickly become
> irritating.

*rolls eyes*

Not as irritating as people who complain about having to type parentheses.

--
Steven
From: geremy condra on
On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 4:34 PM, Steven D'Aprano
<steve(a)remove-this-cybersource.com.au> wrote:

>>> (1) The main use-cases for print are quick (and usually dirty) scripts,
>>> interactive use, and as a debugging aid.
>>
>> That is precisely how the quick-and-dirty syntax of print statement can
>> be justified. While debugging, you'll need to be able to quickly add and
>> delete prints here and there, and the extra parens can quickly become
>> irritating.
>
> *rolls eyes*
>
> Not as irritating as people who complain about having to type parentheses.

http://www.xkcd.net/297/

Actually, I agree with this complaint though- it is much easier to type
spaces than parens.

Geremy Condra
From: Steven D'Aprano on
On Wed, 30 Jun 2010 17:21:32 -0400, geremy condra wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 4:34 PM, Steven D'Aprano
> <steve(a)remove-this-cybersource.com.au> wrote:

>>> That is precisely how the quick-and-dirty syntax of print statement
>>> can be justified. While debugging, you'll need to be able to quickly
>>> add and delete prints here and there, and the extra parens can quickly
>>> become irritating.
>>
>> *rolls eyes*
>>
>> Not as irritating as people who complain about having to type
>> parentheses.
>
> http://www.xkcd.net/297/
>
> Actually, I agree with this complaint though- it is much easier to type
> spaces than parens.

Yes. And typing "p" is easier than typing "print". Perhaps we should
replace all Python built-ins with one letter names so that we can
*really* optimize our typing effort?

i m
d sin2pi(x):
r m.s(x*2*m.p)

f n == '__main__':
p "Sine of 1.3*2*pi is," sin2pi(1.3)

Perhaps not.

The rule against premature optimization doesn't just apply to *code*.

--
Steven
From: geremy condra on
On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 6:30 PM, Steven D'Aprano
<steve-REMOVE-THIS(a)cybersource.com.au> wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Jun 2010 17:21:32 -0400, geremy condra wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 4:34 PM, Steven D'Aprano
>> <steve(a)remove-this-cybersource.com.au> wrote:

>>> *rolls eyes*
>>>
>>> Not as irritating as people who complain about having to type
>>> parentheses.
>>
>> http://www.xkcd.net/297/
>>
>> Actually, I agree with this complaint though- it is much easier to type
>> spaces than parens.
>
> Yes. And typing "p" is easier than typing "print". Perhaps we should
> replace all Python built-ins with one letter names so that we can
> *really* optimize our typing effort?
>
> i m
> d sin2pi(x):
>    r m.s(x*2*m.p)
>
> f n == '__main__':
>    p "Sine of 1.3*2*pi is," sin2pi(1.3)
>

> Perhaps not.
>
> The rule against premature optimization doesn't just apply to *code*.

Hypocrite. You just took Jorgen Grahn to task in another thread for
slaying exactly this kind of strawman. You're too smart to think that
this is what I was advocating.

Geremy Condra
From: Mark Lawrence on
On 30/06/2010 23:30, Steven D'Aprano wrote:

[snips]

> The rule against premature optimization doesn't just apply to *code*.

+1QOTW

Kindest regards.

Mark Lawrence.