From: Paul on
Bill Anderson wrote:
> Paul wrote:
>

>> At the current time, you've tried swapping the supply and that didn't
>> help.
>> Next, would be the motherboard. Preferably, for a different model.
>>

> Yeah, I was afraid of that. Paul, I really appreciate all the effort
> you put into your reply, but I'm just a weekend hobbyist, not an
> electrical engineer. I don't have the equipment you recommended and I
> doubt I'll ever be able to follow your instructions. Thanks so much,
> but the only thing you said that I can follow is that I probably need a
> new motherboard.
>
> My board is a P5K Deluxe WiFi AP. You know, I've had this thing for
> something like three years which is about a year beyond my normal desire
> to build a new, faster, better computer. I've gone this long because my
> computer is doing everything I want to do, and doing it very nicely.
> Editing video is a snap compared to past builds.
>
> And would you believe I'm going to have major surgery tomorrow morning
> and will be sitting around the house recovering for the next couple of
> weeks? I've decided to leave the computer running for the next couple
> of days while I'm away just so I don't come home to find a computer that
> won't start.
>
> But if all goes well, I could spend my time off building a new computer.
>
> Here's what I have now:
>
> Motherboard: ASUS P5K DELUXE/WIFI-AP LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX
> Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache
> LGA 775
> Memory: Crucial 4GB Ballistix 240-pin DIMM, DDR2
> PC2-8500
> Video Card: SAPPHIRE 100210L Radeon HD 2600XT 256MB 128-bit GDDR4 PCI
> Express x16
> Power Supply: PC Power and Cooling ULTRA-QUIET PSU: SILENCER(R) 610
> EPS12V
> Video capture: ATI VisionTek TV Wonder PCI Express
> Storage: Four 500 gigabyte hard drives -- three Western Digital and
> one Maxtor.
>
> Do you know of a better motherboard that will accept the processor and
> all the rest? In other words, can I just swap out motherboards or will
> I need a new processor and video card? Is it time to do a big upgrade,
> or can I get by with just a new MBO that will perform as well as the
> P5K? Any MBO recommendations? You've been giving me great MBO advice
> since at least Sept. 2004 (I just checked Google Groups), and here I am
> asking the same question I've asked several times before: What's a good
> MBO for me?

You could pick a P45 motherboard and reuse your components. Just be careful
to select one with DDR2 memory slots.

If you're interested in Asus options, you could use their CPUSupport page,
plug in Q6600 and see what boards are compatible.

http://support.asus.com.tw/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

Something down in the P5Q section perhaps.

http://support.asus.com.tw/cpusupport/cpu_support_right_master.aspx?type=0&name=Core%202%20Quad%20Q6600%20(2.40GHz%2C1066FSB%2CL2%3A2X4MB%2Crev.B3%2C4%20cores)&SLanguage=en-us

ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131377

There are probably a few Gigabyte boards that would qualify as well.
For each board, you can go to the Gigabyte site and check their CPU chart,
download a user manual and so on. The GA-EP45-UD3P at the top of the
list might be good.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010200280%2050001314%20107172615&bop=And&ShowDeactivatedMark=False&ActiveSearchResult=True&SrchInDesc=p45&Page=1

In terms of selection, remember that LGA775 is probably on its way out
at retail, which is why you won't find as wide a selection as before.

You'll need to do a repair install, and re-activate Windows. And likely
explain to MS over the phone, you've had a motherboard failure and that
is your replacement.

Paul
From: Paul on
Ray wrote:

> Bill,
> I have the same exact ASUS P5k3 deluxe board and had a boot problem when I
> first built the PC, it would start to power up and fail and nothing, and it
> was a faulty power supply. Now the problem has returned in the same exact
> form as your description, 2 years later. Flashing lights, no beep, black
> screen. Only way to get it to boot is turn the reset switch on the back of
> the case off and on again and reboot the main power switch on the front of
> the tower. It only happens once every couple of weeks. But is annoying none
> the less. I also have been getting major BSOD'S lately, I am thinking maybe
> something is a miss with a driver, I did manage a screen cap of the first
> BSOD and it looks like and NVIDIA error it says specifically, (N4_disp.dll)
> stop error. I am thinking maybe my video card drivers are creating all my
> headaches.
>
> My configuration is
> ASUS P5k3 deluxe WiFi AP.
> 4gb Corsair DDR3
> Nvidia 9800 GTX
> Windows XP Sp3

Asus has forums, and you can check the discussions there, to see if your
problem is a common one. At least, for the BIOS/startup problem.

http://vip.asus.com/forum/topic.aspx?board_id=1&model=P5K3+Deluxe&SLanguage=en-us

Nvidia has forums as well, and may have discussions about particular drivers etc.

http://forums.nvidia.com/

If you need to search a forum, you can try an external search engine like this one.
This might be good for searching the Nvidia forum. By specifying the "domain" and
limiting it to one web site, you get a more focused search result.

http://www.altavista.com/web/adv

Paul
From: Bill Anderson on
Paul wrote:

> ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX
>
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131377

I've ordered it. Thanks, Paul. You made it easy.

> You'll need to do a repair install, and re-activate Windows. And likely
> explain to MS over the phone, you've had a motherboard failure and that
> is your replacement.

I'll try a repair install but I suspect a clean install will be
required. Well, I have the next two weeks off to recover from surgery
so now I'll have something to keep me busy.

The P5K is running great on the no-name power supply as long as I don't
turn it off. It's been running since Tuesday.

Thanks once again for the help!

--
Bill Anderson

I am the Mighty Favog
From: Bill Anderson on
hemm99(a)hotmail.com wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Jan 2010 08:57:50 -0500, Bill Anderson
> <billanderson601(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> Bob wrote:

>> OK, I really need some help now. This morning, with the no-name spare
>> PS installed, I powered up the computer but it didn't post. I powered
>> down as described above, waited a few seconds, and pushed the power
>> button again. This time the computer powered up and after a few seconds
>> it powered down. Then it powered up again and then it powered down.
>> Then it powered up and then it powered down again, this time for good.
>> I didn't touch the computer at all during this -- I just watched in
>> amazement.
>>
>> Then I pushed the power button and powered up and no post. So I powered
>> down and powered up again and this time I got a beep and now all is well.
>>
>> The problem isn't the power supply. But what could it be? I don't know
>> what to look at first. Help?
>
> I just had the same problem and in my case it was a memory stick. I
> was able to duplicate the problem by gently pressing on the bad stick.
> Press one way and it would not boot. Press the other way and it would
> boot every time. Cleaning the memory sticks contacts and all is well.

You nailed it hemm99, and I'm afraid I found a most expensive way to
confirm you're right.

I ordered a new motherboard and went through the rigamarole of switching
everything out. It was nice that the mounting screws on the new P5Q
board were in exactly the same place as those on the P5K board, but
really switching out a motherboard is not what I think of as a fun way
to spend an afternoon.

OK, the new board is in place and ... what's this? It won't post? Grrrr.

I try this, I try that, but no post. Fans power up, drives spin up,
light on the optical drive is on, but no beep.

OK, time to disconnect everything non-essential and start from scratch.
Still no post.

What's left? Oh, the four memory sticks. So I remove all but one, and
fire up the computer and .... BEEP.

So I start replacing memory one stick at a time, and when one particular
stick goes in, no post.

Actually it fails intermittently -- which entirely explains my
computer's frustrating behavior lately. And once it's running, there's
no problem at all.

So what to do? Leave the new board in place and re-load a gazillion
drivers over and over again for the four OSs I can boot from? I
considered it overnight and then this morning I switched boards back to
the P5K.

And the P5Q goes back in its box so I can admire it up there on the
shelf while I'm complaining to Crucial once again about their crappy
unreliable memory.

Thanks, everybody. At least now I know what's going on -- and it's NOT
the power supply.

--
Bill Anderson

I am the Mighty Favog
From: Bill Anderson on
Paul wrote:
> Bill Anderson wrote:
>> hemm99(a)hotmail.com wrote:

>>> I just had the same problem and in my case it was a memory stick. I
>>> was able to duplicate the problem by gently pressing on the bad stick.
>>> Press one way and it would not boot. Press the other way and it would
>>> boot every time. Cleaning the memory sticks contacts and all is well.
>>
>> You nailed it hemm99, and I'm afraid I found a most expensive way to
>> confirm you're right.
>>
>> I ordered a new motherboard and went through the rigamarole of
>> switching everything out. It was nice that the mounting screws on the
>> new P5Q board were in exactly the same place as those on the P5K
>> board, but really switching out a motherboard is not what I think of
>> as a fun way to spend an afternoon.
>>
>> OK, the new board is in place and ... what's this? It won't post?
>> Grrrr.
>>
>> I try this, I try that, but no post. Fans power up, drives spin up,
>> light on the optical drive is on, but no beep.
>>
>> OK, time to disconnect everything non-essential and start from
>> scratch. Still no post.
>>
>> What's left? Oh, the four memory sticks. So I remove all but one,
>> and fire up the computer and .... BEEP.
>>
>> So I start replacing memory one stick at a time, and when one
>> particular stick goes in, no post.
>>
>> Actually it fails intermittently -- which entirely explains my
>> computer's frustrating behavior lately. And once it's running,
>> there's no problem at all.
>>
>> So what to do? Leave the new board in place and re-load a gazillion
>> drivers over and over again for the four OSs I can boot from? I
>> considered it overnight and then this morning I switched boards back
>> to the P5K.
>>
>> And the P5Q goes back in its box so I can admire it up there on the
>> shelf while I'm complaining to Crucial once again about their crappy
>> unreliable memory.
>>
>> Thanks, everybody. At least now I know what's going on -- and it's
>> NOT the power supply.
>>

> I'm having trouble following this now. Are the symptoms really the same
> with the new board ? I thought you had power going on and off before ?
> At least now it sounds like the power is staying on.

Yes, the power did go on and off, but not to the extent it was doing it
before. Hit power button, computer fans start up, computer fans shut
down, pause three seconds, computer fans start up again (but no
subsequent post). This did happen on the new P5Q. I have become so
accustomed to seeing this behavior when I'm working on the computer that
I've begun to accept it as normal. I do not see it over the long haul,
week after week of on and off use. I see it only when I'm working on
the innards in some way -- when I've been cycling power for some reason.
You'll have to tell me what might be switching things off and on. I
have begun to think it's some sort of internal protection mechanism,
though how this is protecting anything I have no idea.

I'm so dense that it took a while for it to dawn on me that by running
the fans but not posting the P5Q was displaying exactly the same
behavior as the P5K. It was just that the P5Q completely refused to post
with the bad memory stick installed. The P5K would post after numerous
tries.

I'm running on three 1-gig memory sticks now and everything's going
fine. Tonight I've been pricing cheap processor, video, memory etc. to
use the P5Q to build my mom a nice, faster computer. So it's not wasted
money. And it's certainly been a learning experience.

Thanks, Paul.

--
Bill Anderson

I am the Mighty Favog