From: gts² blue on
[Dunno how important this is, but....]

I am using an "IBM COMPATIBLE" replacement battery (Li-Ion) which ran
out of power (Stopped Charging/Discharging) back in Sept 2004. i was
told by a few people that I wouldn't need to buy another replacement
for it and it's been fine {And I've been using it, still, w/ the
battery and plugged in on AC power. Works fine - I was leery of doing
that myself - some other people had said doing that could mess with
the power settings. Anyway.....). Tho suddenly - yesterday I noticed
the battery was charging again. [I noticed this as I shut down, which
prompted me to restart to make sure I wasn't seeing thngs, and also to
chek out the battery info on the machine itself thru the ThinkPad
Utilitty or whatever it 's called. I was kinda glad that the battery
started holding a charge but if that has something to do with the fan
error, then that kinda sucks. lol

-Geraldine

From: BillW50 on

Date: 25 Apr 2005 19:18:56 -0700

[Dunno how important this is, but....]

Hi Gerri...

I am using an "IBM COMPATIBLE" replacement battery (Li-Ion)
which ran out of power (Stopped Charging/Discharging) back in
Sept 2004. i was told by a few people that I wouldn't need to
buy another replacement for it and it's been fine {And I've
been using it, still, w/ the battery and plugged in on AC
power. Works fine - I was leery of doing that myself - some
other people had said doing that could mess with the power
settings.

Power setting? No I don't see that at all. I think they know
something of what they are talking about, but not enough. Although
the one thing I am very good about are rechargeable batteries. I
still have some that are 30 years old (I orginally typed 30 days
old, that's funny). Which is unheard of even on the Internet.
Rechargeable lithiums have lasted me 10 years now (almost all
experts gives them two years). Although none are from laptops and
I'm always learning. And I think I figured out how to get laptop
lithiums to last at least 10 years too. Well if you use battery
power a lot, kiss that 10 year idea goodbye! As under heavy battery
use, 6 months is doing really well.

First of all, laptops with lithiums are differnet than other devices
like PDAs, cell phones, etc. As these other devices don't create
lots of heat unlike laptops do. So I had to adjust for laptops
because the heat factor changes everything.

In short, keep your laptop battery out of your laptop as much as
possible. As the heat alone will kill it in 2 years or less. You
have to charge it at least once per year if you don't use it.
Although charging it say monthy I don't see it harming anything.
It's best if the computer is off while charging (less heat).

Sometimes when you think the power is going to fail (like a bad
storm is coming), you should insert the battery (unless you are
plugged into a UPS).

Leaving an almost dead battery in the laptop is a bad idea in my
opinion (or even a good battery on AC power). As not only do you get
the heat from the laptop itself, but the current charging a battery
that is weak also adds lots more more heat and it is self defeating.

Anyway.....). Tho suddenly - yesterday I noticed the battery
was charging again. [I noticed this as I shut down, which
prompted me to restart to make sure I wasn't seeing thngs, and
also to chek out the battery info on the machine itself thru
the ThinkPad Utilitty or whatever it 's called. I was kinda
glad that the battery started holding a charge but if that has
something to do with the fan error, then that kinda sucks. lol

Oh gosh Gerri... since September it was dead and now it is taking a
charge? In everything I have read and all of my experience this is
unheard of for a lithium battery. You may become famous! The only
thing I can explain it is that this is the first time the battery is
actually cooled? Do you think this is so?

How this ties into the fan error... well I don't see the connection.
But of course I don't know everything and I have been fooled before.
I don't see you as an engineer type and forgive me if I'm wrong. But
if you or your spouse or whomever can work a multimeter, I'd like to
hear about some voltage checks. As what you have found is something
new and really exciting to me at least. <grin>

Cheers!

Bill (using a Toshiba 2595XDVD under Windows 2000)
-- written and edited within WordStar 5.0

From: gts² blue on
I'm not the engineer type.

:)

So - what's a multimeter? (never heard of one before. lol)
Like a 'Battery Tester"?

I wasn't sure if my battery had anything to do w/ it, but I figured I'd
throw the idea out here in case it did.

Oh yeah - and - I posted the problem here after i had it once, coz I
wasn't sure if that meant you got the error once and that was it or
something.

But considering how computers work. :)

From: gts² blue on
=P I unplugged my machine when the battery hit 100%.

It ran for 5 mins before I got a critical battery error.

See - I've gotten conflicting advice from people. Some people have
said it's OK to leave the battery in, others have said the IBM is made
to run w/o a battery pack. Some have wondered why you'd run a laptop
plugged in w/o a battery in fear of getting dirt/etc on the connectors
and whatnot.

Confusing........lol

From: gts² blue on
.....And in fact, it's charging up again - the Li-Ion battery.

-GERRI-