From: BillW50 on

Date: 26 Apr 2005 05:14:49 -0700

I'm not the engineer type.

:)

So - what's a multimeter? (never heard of one before. lol) Like
a 'Battery Tester"?

Hi Gerri... Yes, it is like a battery tester. <grin>

I wasn't sure if my battery had anything to do w/ it, but I
figured I'd throw the idea out here in case it did.

Always a good idea because sometimes it makes a big difference.

Oh yeah - and - I posted the problem here after i had it once,
coz I wasn't sure if that meant you got the error once and that
was it or something.

Normally if you only get the error only once and that's it. Then it
means everything is back to normal once again. But oddly enough,
since your fan no longer runs. That is indeed a strange one!

But considering how computers work. :)

You don't have little gremlins or ghosts hanging around your place,
do you? If not, just checking. <grin>

Date: 26 Apr 2005 05:14:49 -0700

=P I unplugged my machine when the battery hit 100%.

It ran for 5 mins before I got a critical battery error.

Ah typical for a very weak battery. And after a good nights sleep I
believe I know why that battery started to charging once again. As
most lithium batteries have a series of safety circuits to prevent
something going wrong and the battery from bursting into flames. And
one of the things is a fuse or a circuit breaker built into the
battery. So it sounds like yours got reset.

See - I've gotten conflicting advice from people. Some people
have said it's OK to leave the battery in, others have said the
IBM is made to run w/o a battery pack.

You can leave the battery in for sure, but the battery won't last as
long as leaving it out. Also many laptops will still use some power
even when the laptop is off. So without AC always applied, it may
drain the battery down. Oddly enough many laptops will charge the
battery up on AC only once and never check or recharge it again as
long as AC is still applied. So in this case, it still is a good
idea to remove the battery too.

Some have wondered why you'd run a laptop plugged in w/o a
battery in fear of getting dirt/etc on the connectors and
whatnot.

Confusing........lol

Well that is something to be a little concern about. Mine has a
battery cover which can be removed from the battery and can be
placed back in the laptop again. So dust and dirt isn't an issue.
Plus mine even without the cover, is still sealed pretty well
anyway. Just some pins sticking out a bit which isn't a problem for
me either. Well not on a table or desk anyway. In my lap, it's
better with the cover on. <grin>

Although what others may be able to do on their laptops is only pull
out the battery just enough that it is no longer connected to the
laptop anymore. I don't know, does that work on yours fairly well? On
one old laptop, I could plug the battery in backwards. Meaning the
connections were facing the wrong direction (at the other end). And
this stopped dust and dirt pretty well too. <grin>

Date: 26 Apr 2005 05:55:13 -0700

....And in fact, it's charging up again - the Li-Ion battery.

Virtually always when a battery gets as bad as yours, it usually
only gets worse instead of better. And they take longer than a new
battery to charge up (and don't last long when being discharged).
And while it is okay to play around with for now, but long term it
isn't a good idea. And I leave it out if you aren't playing with it.
As it creates a lot of heat and is harder on the charging circuit
than a fresh battery is. <grin>

Cheers!

Bill (using a HP Pavilion AMD 1.2GHZ under Windows 2000)
-- written and edited within WordStar 5.0

From: gts² blue on
The house gets dusty easily ( There are moving vans across the street
which seem to make more dust and stuff in the house.)
But this afternoon, I plugged in the computer w/o a battery. And
nothing seems to be off or weird or anything - nothing's exploding like
I'm always afraid of. lol ;)

Oh yes - and my fan's working. =)

Now onto the replies:

>>>Hi Gerri... Yes, it is like a battery tester. <grin>

Care to elaborate? :)

>>>Always a good idea because sometimes it makes a big difference.

I always think of that. So I usually try to mention even the smallest
thing
in case it has to do with...*whatever* :)

>>>Normally if you only get the error only once and that's it. Then it
means everything is back to normal once again.

Good to know. Sometimes I think : ONE ERROR and something may be
messed up. lol

####But considering how computers work. :)

>>>You don't have little gremlins or ghosts hanging around your place,
do you? If not, just checking. <grin>

I just meant I understand how everything has to be in order and all
that.

And nope: no gremlins ;)

>>>Ah typical for a very weak battery. And after a good nights sleep I
believe I know why that battery started to charging once again. As
most lithium batteries have a series of safety circuits to prevent
something going wrong and the battery from bursting into flames. And
one of the things is a fuse or a circuit breaker built into the
>>>battery. So it sounds like yours got reset.

I'm also a bit worried because the battery I'm using is one I got off
eBay (in 2003 )
So I always wondered if the battery was just shitty or something.

Too Bad I didn't a battery cover - or the equivilant OF.

I'm not sure if pulling it out slightly would work. It had a 'lock' on
it.

From: gts² blue on
I've been running the machine w/o the battery in.

It's on my desk , but still -- I wish there was some way to cover it .

I happened to be reading another thread here on a docking station.

Would that somehow keep the battery slot contacts frm getting dusty /
dirty ?

What's a docking station for, exactly, anyway? :)

From: BillW50 on

Date: 28 Apr 2005 16:59:00 -0700

The house gets dusty easily (There are moving vans across the
street which seem to make more dust and stuff in the house.)
But this afternoon, I plugged in the computer w/o a battery.
And nothing seems to be off or weird or anything - nothing's
exploding like I'm always afraid of. lol ;)

Hi Gerri... Well sticking a dry lintless cloth in there is one safe
idea (it can't be damp).

Oh yes - and my fan's working. =)

Oh! And how did you find that out? Ran it a bit longer than before?
Or since the battery has been removed?

Now onto the replies:

>>>Hi Gerri... Yes, it is like a battery tester. <grin>

Care to elaborate? :)

Well a multimeter is a meter with multiple functions. Typically they
can check voltage, current, and resistance.

>>>Always a good idea because sometimes it makes a big difference.

I always think of that. So I usually try to mention even the
smallest thing in case it has to do with...*whatever* :)

Very nice! <grin>

[snip]

>>>Ah typical for a very weak battery. And after a good nights sleep I
believe I know why that battery started to charging once again. As
most lithium batteries have a series of safety circuits to prevent
something going wrong and the battery from bursting into flames. And
one of the things is a fuse or a circuit breaker built into the
>>>battery. So it sounds like yours got reset.

I'm also a bit worried because the battery I'm using is one I
got off eBay (in 2003 ) So I always wondered if the battery was
just shitty or something.

A battery left in a laptop for two years is pretty typical of this
lifespan. So it sounds like it did its job pretty well. Although
leaving a battery out (as long as it has been charged up), will last
much longer.

Too Bad I didn't a battery cover - or the equivilant OF.

I'm not sure if pulling it out slightly would work. It had a
'lock' on it.

Well if I had one of those batteries (a bad one), I could modify it
so it would not electrically connect to the laptop itself. But it
could be used as a cover, if you are really worried about it.

Cheers!

Bill (using a Toshiba 2595XDVD under Windows 2000)
-- written and edited within WordStar 5.0

From: gts² blue on
Can you do me a favor?

Remove all the messages you posted here. I don;t want my email address
public and Im already getting spam.

Or is there a way to have this entire thread deleted?