From: Jim on
I'm having strange problems appearing on one of my XP Pro computers.
Possible virus but McAfee does not show anything.

Firefox, Safari, and Chrome all work fine but IE8 will not open (if it does,
it will then close). Yes, I re-installed it.

Also, when I boot this computer, the Windows firewall is turned off and I
must reset it usually each time.

Not certain what is happening, greatly appreciate any trouble shooting
suggestions.

From: Elmo on
Jim wrote:
> I'm having strange problems appearing on one of my XP Pro computers.
> Possible virus but McAfee does not show anything.
>
> Firefox, Safari, and Chrome all work fine but IE8 will not open (if it does,
> it will then close). Yes, I re-installed it.
>
> Also, when I boot this computer, the Windows firewall is turned off and I
> must reset it usually each time.
>
> Not certain what is happening, greatly appreciate any trouble shooting
> suggestions.

Most malware will shut down your current a/v software, so McAfee may not
be showing accurate results.

Download, install, update and run these:

Malwarebytes© Corporation

SuperAntispyware
http://www.superantispyware.com/superantispywarefreevspro.html

If they can't get control, try Malwarebytes in Safe Mode, and then in
regular mode.

If still no luck, do this:

Burn BitDefender, or another program listed at the link below, to a CD
(using a working machine) and test the infected machine with it.
BitDefender also has a Rootkit checker on the Linux Desktop; run it if
you think that's the problem:

http://www.techmixer.com/free-bootable-antivirus-rescue-cds-download-list/

Download the executable rather than the .iso image, if one is available,
(though no .exe is available for BitDefender).

After the scan is run, if you elect to quarantine files, they're
quarantined to RAM and lost after you reboot. You'll need to copy any
quarantined files to the hard drive, a thumb drive or elsewhere before
exiting.

--
Joe =o)
From: "db" databaseben at hotmail dot on
the browser can be tested
via safe mode w/networking.

--

db���`�...�><)))�>
DatabaseBen, Retired Professional

From: thanatoid on
"Jim" <jrwolfe(a)comcast.net> wrote in

> I'm having strange problems appearing on one of my XP Pro
> computers. Possible virus but McAfee does not show
> anything.

<SNIP>

IE not opening is not a problem, it's a blessing.

You won't like this question any more than the statement above,
but why do you use 2 fairly good (but finicky and imperfect) and
two terrible and dangerous browsers instead of Opera?

NO ONE needs FOUR browsers, let alone the 4 YOU have chosen.

In case you care, I use Opera and OffByOne. Haven't used IE/OE
since the late 90's. Maybe that's why I have never gotten any
malware on my system.

--
The arrows are faster than rodents!
- t.