From: David Mark on
On May 25, 9:27 pm, Garrett Smith <dhtmlkitc...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5/25/2010 6:13 PM, David Mark wrote:

> >> I asked you first. What're you shy now or what?
>
> > LOL.  Just tired of your amnesia-induced-endless-loop bullshit.  ;)
>
> Doesn't look an answer to the question.

Since when do I answer to you? :) And it's usually a waste of time.

That can be taken as a
> concession of the claim that someone deserves a "thank you" card (not
> even Roger Gilreath, etc).

One thing's for sure; you are owed nothing (except perhaps the well-
deserved reputation of an amnesiac with inconceivably poor reading
comprehension). Same goes for "dhtml", "dhtmlkitchen", etc. Some
legacy that is.
From: David Mark on
On May 26, 7:24 pm, "S.T." <a...(a)anon.com> wrote:
> On 5/25/2010 3:07 PM, David Mark wrote:

> >> FWIW, ran most aspects of my jQuery-heavy websites and extranet apps
> >> through the the IE9 Platform Preview and not seeing any issues
> >> whatsoever.
>
> > It's not worth a plugged nickel.  jQuery doesn't use UA sniffing (and
> > still no thank you card from them). They use bogus object inferences,
> > which are less likely to be affected by what I described.  But your
> > empirical evidence gathered with the preview
> > edition and your "jQuery-heavy" websites is virtually worthless.
>
> All I'm saying is, based on ~15 minutes of observation, the jQuery
> apocalypse you continue to rant about appears very unlikely to arrive
> with IE9.

You are truly without a clue. The "jQuery apocalypse" has been here
for years (your delusions notwithstanding).

> Perhaps IE9 will start a Dojo or YUI apocalypse and you can throw a
> party or something.

Dojo has never amounted to anything. Don't see a lot of YUI out there
either (other than on Yahoo's site).

> Stay upbeat.

I couldn't be more upbeat. Thanks!
From: Dr J R Stockton on
In comp.lang.javascript message <0dcced05-a32c-41e8-9c5f-ba2be82715ab(a)a2
0g2000vbc.googlegroups.com>, Tue, 25 May 2010 16:16:12, David Mark
<dmark.cinsoft(a)gmail.com> posted:

>> >Yes, that and a buck fifty will buy you a cup of coffee.
>>
>> Not round here. �It would be of more than $1.50 quality; and they'd want
>> proper money too.
>
>What does that mean?

It means that, round here, $1.50 would not buy me a cup of coffee, and
that, therefore, you are wrong.

>> >Why are you trying to sniff out IE in the first place? �That's the
>> >rub.
>>
>> It should not be done in finished code, but it can be rather useful in
>> cross-browser testing : switch off one part that gives difficulty in IE
>> and continue on easier IE work, knowing that the expert on IE will be
>> back tomorrow or hoping that the newsgroup will be able to help.
>
>There are better ways to do that (e.g. conditional compilation).

For dealing with IE, yes; it was only an example. There are differences
between various non-IE browsers; for example, one has a fault which in
certain circumstances give a display which is stable on other browsers a
nasty case of the continuous twitch. For that, of course, it makes no
sense to test for the aforementioned persistent IE error.

--
(c) John Stockton, nr London UK. replyYYWW merlyn demon co uk Turnpike 6.05.
No Encoding. Quotes precede replies. Snip well. Write clearly. Mail no News.
From: David Mark on
On May 27, 1:15 pm, Dr J R Stockton <reply1...(a)merlyn.demon.co.uk>
wrote:
> In comp.lang.javascript message <0dcced05-a32c-41e8-9c5f-ba2be82715ab(a)a2
> 0g2000vbc.googlegroups.com>, Tue, 25 May 2010 16:16:12, David Mark
> <dmark.cins...(a)gmail.com> posted:

> >> Not round here.  It would be of more than $1.50 quality; and they'd want
> >> proper money too.
>
> >What does that mean?
>
> It means that, round here, $1.50 would not buy me a cup of coffee, and
> that, therefore, you are wrong.

It's a figure of speech, doc.

> >> It should not be done in finished code, but it can be rather useful in
> >> cross-browser testing : switch off one part that gives difficulty in IE
> >> and continue on easier IE work, knowing that the expert on IE will be
> >> back tomorrow or hoping that the newsgroup will be able to help.
>
> >There are better ways to do that (e.g. conditional compilation).
>
> For dealing with IE, yes; it was only an example.

A very poor one as IE detection was the subject at hand.

> There are differences
> between various non-IE browsers;

Do tell.

> for example, one has a fault which in
> certain circumstances give a display which is stable on other browsers a
> nasty case of the continuous twitch.

Your posts often give me a continuous twitch. I suppose I asked for
it this time. :(

> For that, of course, it makes no
> sense to test for the aforementioned persistent IE error.

No, it would be better if you left such things to those who know what
they are doing. ;)
From: RobG on
On May 27, 9:24 am, "S.T." <a...(a)anon.com> wrote:
> On 5/25/2010 3:07 PM, David Mark wrote:
[...]
> > It's not worth a plugged nickel.  jQuery doesn't use UA sniffing (and
> > still no thank you card from them). They use bogus object inferences,
> > which are less likely to be affected by what I described.  But your
> > empirical evidence gathered with the preview
> > edition and your "jQuery-heavy" websites is virtually worthless.
>
> All I'm saying is, based on ~15 minutes of observation, the jQuery
> apocalypse you continue to rant about appears very unlikely to arrive
> with IE9.

From the new jQuery forum (trimmed for convenience):

| Verison[sic] compatibility issue?
|
| I've got a site with the following code already in place:
|
| <script ... src="/javascript/jquery-1.2.6.min.js"></script>
| <script ... src="/javascript/jquery-ui.js"></script>
| <script ... src="/javascript/json2.js"></script>
| <script ... src="/javascript/dialogs.js"></script>
| <script ... src="/javascript/adminutils.js"></script>

[...]

| I'm trying to add this feature to a page:
| http://www.clecompte.com/building-simple-jquery-rotating-carousel/
|
| If I just load up this code with my existing jquery library
| reference, it doesn't work. If I use a newer library (like 1.3.2
| used on the example page at the link above, or the latest version),
| it breaks other things on the site.
|
| As a temporary workaround, I've used an iframe to bring this in as
| a separate page, but obviously that's not ideal.
|
| I'd like to get everything working on the same page, but I'm
| not sure where to begin troubleshooting.

It was posted 2 days ago on the new forum and not a single response.
None.

> Perhaps IE9 will start a Dojo or YUI apocalypse and you can throw a
> party or something. Stay upbeat.

Celebrating other's misfortunes is bad form - make sure you stay safe
though.

--
Rob