From: David Mark on
From what I've heard of IE9, it sure seems to spell doom for Dojo,
ExtJs, YUI, etc. And jQuery too (at least to some extent). They all
have tons of rickety branches based on an "isIE" variable. Dojo, for
example, has hundreds of scripts, each with at least a few sniffs (some
have dozens) and they are all interdependent as hell (often one script
tries to work around the mistakes of others).

IE8 was a major blow, but I think IE9 will be the knockout. What can
they do but scrap the old junk and start over? So much for all of those
pretty widgets. :)
From: Joe Nine on
David Mark wrote:
> From what I've heard of IE9, it sure seems to spell doom for Dojo,
> ExtJs, YUI, etc. And jQuery too (at least to some extent). They all
> have tons of rickety branches based on an "isIE" variable. Dojo, for
> example, has hundreds of scripts, each with at least a few sniffs (some
> have dozens) and they are all interdependent as hell (often one script
> tries to work around the mistakes of others).
>
> IE8 was a major blow, but I think IE9 will be the knockout. What can
> they do but scrap the old junk and start over? So much for all of those
> pretty widgets. :)

Why? The useragent changes I've read about sound to be completely normal
and as expected. For example, "MSIE 8" is now "MSIE 9". Anyone looking
for that digit will see 8 is now 9.

http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2010/03/23/introducing-ie9-s-user-agent-string.aspx
From: Joe Nine on
Joe Nine wrote:
> David Mark wrote:
>> From what I've heard of IE9, it sure seems to spell doom for Dojo,
>> ExtJs, YUI, etc. And jQuery too (at least to some extent). They all
>> have tons of rickety branches based on an "isIE" variable. Dojo, for
>> example, has hundreds of scripts, each with at least a few sniffs (some
>> have dozens) and they are all interdependent as hell (often one script
>> tries to work around the mistakes of others).
>>
>> IE8 was a major blow, but I think IE9 will be the knockout. What can
>> they do but scrap the old junk and start over? So much for all of those
>> pretty widgets. :)
>
> Why? The useragent changes I've read about sound to be completely normal
> and as expected. For example, "MSIE 8" is now "MSIE 9". Anyone looking
> for that digit will see 8 is now 9.
>
> http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2010/03/23/introducing-ie9-s-user-agent-string.aspx

Read your post again and I see you're only saying that IE9 will be the
last of the versions that don't cause the useragent sniffers a problem.
Not that IE9 itself will cause a problem. I expect they'll start doing
what Opera 10 did (identify itself as 9.80). Microsoft already did that
with Win 7 which identifies itself as Win 6.1 instead of Win 7.
From: David Mark on
Joe Nine wrote:
> David Mark wrote:
>> From what I've heard of IE9, it sure seems to spell doom for Dojo,
>> ExtJs, YUI, etc. And jQuery too (at least to some extent). They all
>> have tons of rickety branches based on an "isIE" variable. Dojo, for
>> example, has hundreds of scripts, each with at least a few sniffs (some
>> have dozens) and they are all interdependent as hell (often one script
>> tries to work around the mistakes of others).
>>
>> IE8 was a major blow, but I think IE9 will be the knockout. What can
>> they do but scrap the old junk and start over? So much for all of those
>> pretty widgets. :)
>
> Why? The useragent changes I've read about sound to be completely normal
> and as expected. For example, "MSIE 8" is now "MSIE 9". Anyone looking
> for that digit will see 8 is now 9.

Most of the isIE branches are based solely on IE, not its version.
Suddenly most of those bogus inferences will be wrong. ;)
From: David Mark on
Joe Nine wrote:
> Joe Nine wrote:
>> David Mark wrote:
>>> From what I've heard of IE9, it sure seems to spell doom for Dojo,
>>> ExtJs, YUI, etc. And jQuery too (at least to some extent). They all
>>> have tons of rickety branches based on an "isIE" variable. Dojo, for
>>> example, has hundreds of scripts, each with at least a few sniffs (some
>>> have dozens) and they are all interdependent as hell (often one script
>>> tries to work around the mistakes of others).
>>>
>>> IE8 was a major blow, but I think IE9 will be the knockout. What can
>>> they do but scrap the old junk and start over? So much for all of those
>>> pretty widgets. :)
>>
>> Why? The useragent changes I've read about sound to be completely
>> normal and as expected. For example, "MSIE 8" is now "MSIE 9". Anyone
>> looking for that digit will see 8 is now 9.
>>
>> http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2010/03/23/introducing-ie9-s-user-agent-string.aspx
>

> Read your post again and I see you're only saying that IE9 will be the
> last of the versions that don't cause the useragent sniffers a problem.
> Not that IE9 itself will cause a problem. I expect they'll start doing
> what Opera 10 did (identify itself as 9.80). Microsoft already did that
> with Win 7 which identifies itself as Win 6.1 instead of Win 7.

No, see my follow-up.