From: Juan on
Hi Benard,

More data:

On production, during the hangs, Inetinfo process is in 0% CPU utilization.
On the testing environment when we stress the apps (we cannot hang it) the
CPU utilization for Inetinfo goes up to 80 - 90 percent.

The server memory utilization oscilates between 400 to 600 MB out of the 2
GB of RAM.

We have spikes of ~1000 sessions and the original developers decided to
store more than a simple id there. I do not know the average bytes that each
session may take but they are kind of fat sessions (all string data).

Internet Services Global - File Cache Misses counter spikes before the
incidents (this indicator increases quickly and exponentially minutes before
the hangs).

The file chache hits % counter oscilates between 55 and 85 %.

The Curent File Cache Memory Usage counter normally moves from 400,000 to
800,000 bytes (are they bytes? Kbytes?) but time to time it grows up to
1,800,00 bytes (bytes? kbytes?). Are these bytes out of the physcal RAM?
Virtual Memory? I am confused about this indicator.

The MAXIMUM File Cache Memory Usage counter, a sort of correlated indicator
to the CURRENT is always much higher (between 3,000,000 and 5,000,000). Based
on the following article that should be really bad, a direct recipy for leaks:

"MAXIMUM File Cache Memory Usage: The value of this counter and the value of
Web Service Cache\Current File Cache Memory Usage should be the same. If the
numbers are different, the cache was flushed. If this counter is
significantly higher than Web Service Cache\Current File Cache Memory Usage,
you might consider recycling the worker process because the application might
have a memory leak."

Source:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/WindowsServer2003/Library/IIS/a0483502-c6da-486a-917a-586c463b7ed6.mspx?mfr=true

The number of 500 Internal server errors also grows steady towards the hang
points. It drops to 0 after recycling, and it immediately starts growing
steady again.

Thanks, once again..
--
Juan

From: Bernard Cheah [MVP] on
I'm no expert in analyzing the log. from the summary - it looks like lot of
blocking among process threads.
Have you start looking at some of the 'recommendation' steps?

From: Bernard Cheah [MVP] on

From: Juan on
Hi Bernard,

Thanks for your answer.

Yes, we are implementing some of the recommendations. However we wanted to
be sure that we undersatand the root cause for the hangs. Based on the report
the things going wrong seem to be:

1) The high heap fragmentations --> causing memory leaks <-- produced by too
many includes
2) Long waits and/or blocking in several threads <-- caused by bottle necks?
(db conns, etc.?)

Is the first reason alone enough to hang the Inetinfo process? If that is
the case how would it be the sequence of actions towards the hang point? Is
the case that IIS/ASP "chocks" after too much i/o traffic of huge ASPs with
100s of includes in the ASP Template Cache?

Regarding the second point, Do you see a single failure point hanging the
server? Or is more that the sum of several waiting points and blocked thread
ends up (again) "chocking" the Inetinfo process. Can a sum of waiting points
and blocked threads hang the process? Or a hang has to be caused by a single
point of failure (deadlock, spin, infinite recursion, etc.) ?

I will try to find an FTP place in which I can put the 100+ MB memory dump
files for you.
Impressive! If you can read the dumps better than the reports that is
amazing, it speaks about the level of your expertise in the subject!

While I find an FTP place (which can take me a while) would it be possible
in parallel to have any of the guys there accustomed to read these reports
taking a look to them?

I will appreciate your answers and I will send you the dumps ASAP.

Thanks a lot for your time!

--
Juan

From: Bernard Cheah [MVP] on
I'm not the person that you should send the dump file :)
If this is urgent, you can open a support case with Microsoft PSS.
if not, you can post a new thread with detail link to the log and dump file,
Attention it to 'Pat', this guy is an expert, me is not :( Anyway, in your
case the hang looks like from long running request that holding all
subsequence request, deadlock could occur as well in this case. Sorry that
I can't be helpful.