From: "Jim K" jim on
I am getting a dozen or more of these errors in the event log before IIS
terminates. The DHCP service won't start either, which I assume is related.
The info link has nor further information. Here are a couple of the errors,
which all read as "Unable to decrypt"

Unable to decrypt the secure property. Ignoring the
property./LM/W3SVC/1/ROOT/exchange-omaUNCPassword

ErrorCode : 0x80090006

Unable to decrypt the secure property. Ignoring the
property./LM/EventManagerAdminACL

ErrorCode : 0x80090006

And the termination message:
The IIS Admin Service service terminated with service-specific error
2148073478 (0x80090006).

This is a real mess!

Thanks for any thoughts,
Jim

From: Cris Hanna (SBS-MVP) on
Did you apply the patches last night??? And did you reboot afterwards??

--
Cris Hanna [SBS-MVP]
--------------------------------------

From: "Jenny wu [MSFT]" on
Hi Jim,

Thanks for posting here. Thanks for Cris's input.

From your description, I understand the issue is that you received some
error message "Unable to decrypt ...", and IIS admin service and DHCP
service can not be start. If I am off base, please don't hesitate to let me
know.

For the 0x80090006 error, that indicates that there is corruption in IIS
metabase. The issue may occur by some particular anti-virus application or
third party application installed on this server.

I. Do you have a fine IIS metabase backup or system status backup on your
side? If yes, you can refer to the following KB article to choose restore
system status to restore IIS metabase and then rerun CEICW again.
Backing Up and Restoring Windows Small Business Server 2003
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=487736f8-f6f5-436d-
a82d-0c8d66e2a634&displaylang=en

Disaster recovery includes metabase backup and restore
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=241635

825763 How to configure Internet access in Windows Small Business Server
2003
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=825763

II. If you have not fine IIS metabase backup or system status backup, you
may need re-install the IIS to resolve the issue. Please strictly follow
below article to process:

887305 How to re-install Internet Information Services (IIS) 6.0 in Windows
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=887305

After the IIS reinstallation successfully, please rerun CEICW wizard to
configure network connection.

III. Additionally, in case the IIS configuration has been changed often,
you can backup and restore IIS metabase termly. Additionally you can use
the iisback.vbs script to create a Metabase Backup Programmatically.

The detail information is outlined in the following article:

324277 How To Create a Metabase Backup by Using IIS 6.0 in Windows Server
2003
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=324277

Hope above information helps. I am happy to be of assistance to you and
look forward to your reply.

Have a nice day!

Sincerely,

Jenny Wu
Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support
You can locate the newsgroup here:

issue.

--------------------
>From: "Cris Hanna \(SBS-MVP\)"
<crisnospamhanna(a)computingnospampossibilities.net>

From: "Jim K" jim on
Jenny,

The article on reinstalling IIS is no longer linked as you indicate. What do
I have to be careful of, in particular?

Thanks
Jim

From: "Jenny wu [MSFT]" on
Hi Jim,

Thanks for your update. I appreciate your time.

I am sorry for the delayed response due to weekend. Please understand that
the newsgroups are staffed weekdays by Microsoft Support professionals to
answer your systems and applications questions. Your understanding is
greatly appreciated!

I am sorry for that the KB article 887305 is archived now. I would like to
provide the detailed steps to reinstall the IIS server in SBS 2003 server.

*Important: These steps remove all your IIS configuration settings. After
you follow these steps, you must restore any custom Web sites and reinstall
any programs that require IIS. For example, programs such as Microsoft
Exchange Intelligent Message Filter, Microsoft Customer Relationship
Management (CRM), and many third-party antivirus programs require IIS and
will no longer work after you follow these steps. Therefore, before you
follow these steps, we recommend that you first try all other resources or
methods to resolve the IIS-related problem that you experience.

Step 1: Remove IIS
========================
1. Click Start, point to Control Panel, and then click Add or Remove
Programs.
2. In the Currently installed programs list, click Windows Small Business
Server 2003, and then click Change/Remove.
3. In the Microsoft Windows Small Business Server Setup program, click
Next.
4. Click Next, click Maintenance on the Action menu next to Server Tools,
click Remove on the Action menu next to Intranet, and then click Next.
5. Click Next, and then click Finish on the Finishing Your Installation
page of the Microsoft Windows Small Business Server Setup program.
6. Remove Microsoft SQL Server Desktop Engine (SHAREPOINT) and Windows
SharePoint Services 2.0.
To do this follow these steps.

Important: If you want to keep the SharePoint (companyweb) Web site and
database, skip steps 6 through 10 and go to step 11. If you want to remove
Sharepoint and install a new Sharepoint (companyweb) Web site and database,
continue with step 6.

Warning If you continue with steps 6 through 10, you will have a default
companyweb Web site as soon as you have completed the steps in this
article.

a. In the Add or Remove Programs dialog box, click Microsoft SQL Server
Desktop Engine (SHAREPOINT), and then click Remove.
b. Click Yes when you are prompted to confirm.
c. If Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 2.0 appears in the list of
currently-installed programs, click this program, and then click Remove.
d. Click Yes when you are prompted to confirm.

7. Remove the following intranet-related registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SmallBusinessServer\Intranet

To do this, follow these steps:

a. Click Start, click Run, type regedit , and then click OK.
b. Locate and click the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SmallBusinessServer\Intranet
c. On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click Yes on the following
message that appears:
Are you sure you want to delete this key and all its subkeys?

8. Remove the following Windows SharePoint Services-related registry
subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\SHAREPOINT
Important Do not remove this registry subkey if you did not remove the
Microsoft SQL Server Desktop Engine for Windows SharePoint Services in step
6.

To remove this registry subkey, follow these steps:

a. Click Start, click Run, type regedit , and then click OK.
b. Locate, and then click the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\SHAREPOINT
c. On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click Yes on the following
message that appears:
Are you sure you want to delete this key and all its subkeys?

9. Remove the following registry subkey, if it exists:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\Web Server
Extensions\Ports\Port /LM/W3SVC/4:

*Note: Do not remove the "Port /LM/W3SVC/1:" registry subkey. The "Port
/LM/W3SVC/1:" registry subkey refers to the Microsoft FrontPage 2002 Server
Extensions component which is installed on the Default Web Site.
Additionally, if registry subkeys such as "Port /LM/W3SVC/ n :" appear,
back up these registry subkeys, and then remove them.

To remove this registry subkey, follow these steps:

a. Click Start, click Run, type regedit , and then click OK.
b. Locate, and then click the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\Web Server
Extensions\Ports\Port /LM/W3SVC/4:
c. On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click Yes on the following
message that appears:
Are you sure you want to delete this key and all its subkeys?

10. Rename the following folder:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL$SHAREPOINT

*Important: Do not rename this folder if you did not remove the Microsoft
SQL Server Desktop Engine for Windows SharePoint Services in step 6.

To rename this folder, follow these steps:

a. Click Start, click Run, type %programfiles%\Microsoft SQL Server , and
then click OK.
b. Right-click MSSQL$SHAREPOINT, and then click Rename.
c. Type MSSQL$SHAREPOINT.old , and then press ENTER.

11. Remove Internet Information Services. To do this, follow these steps:
a. Click Start, point to Control Panel, and then click Add or Remove
Programs.
b. Click Add/Remove Windows Components, click Application Server, and then
click Details.
c. Click to clear the Internet Information Services (IIS) check box, and
then click Yes on the following message that appears:
The following components are dependent on the installation of the "Internet
Information Services (IIS)"

ASP.NET
RPC over HTTP Proxy

Is it OK to remove these components as well?
d. Click OK, click Next, and then click Finish when the Windows Components
Wizard has completed configuring Windows Small Business Server.

12. Rename the Inetpub folder to Inetpub.old. To do this, follow these
steps:

a. Right-click Start, and then click Explore.
b. Expand Local Disk (C:), right-click Inetpub, and then click Rename.
c. Type Inetpub.old , and then press ENTER.

Step 2: Install IIS

1. Reinstall the Internet Information Services component. To do this,
follow these steps:

a. Click Start, point to