From: E-Double on
Are there any suggestions or guidelines on how to create a section of an IIS
6 Web site to be used for HTTP file downloads ? We are trying to avoid
having to setup an FTP server and would like the end-user to be able to
browse the site and download the files using HTTP seamlessly within IE and a
few other browsers. The file sizes will likely range from 5 MB to about 50
MB.

What authentication methods are recommended ? What permissions must be set
on the file specifically (or folder?) to prompt the user to download the file
but not allow for the file (eg PPT, PDF, DOC, etc...) to be run from the site
? Are there any third party utilities that are commonly used with IIS for
this purpose, or does IIS usually handle this on its own ?

TIA ...

e.
From: Ken Schaefer on

"E-Double" <EDouble(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Are there any suggestions or guidelines on how to create a section of an
> IIS
> 6 Web site to be used for HTTP file downloads ? We are trying to avoid
> having to setup an FTP server and would like the end-user to be able to
> browse the site and download the files using HTTP seamlessly within IE and
> few other browsers. The file sizes will likely range from 5 MB to about 50
> MB.
>
> What authentication methods are recommended ?

What are your requirements for authentication?

> What permissions must be set
> on the file specifically (or folder?) to prompt the user to download the
> file
> but not allow for the file (eg PPT, PDF, DOC, etc...) to be run from the
> site
> ?

That is impossible for you to police. It is entirely up to the client
whether to automatically load the file in an application, or force the user
to save the file. Most OSes will ask the user whether they want to save the
file, or open it in the default configured application.

The best you can do, is set a MIME type to something like
x-application/binary or similar, for which there is no default application
configured on the target machine.

Cheers
Ken

--
http://adOpenStatic.com/blog

From: John Elliot on
Hi,

Since you are open to third-party utilities, I recommend you check
SynaMan (http://synaman.com)

IIS by itself allows downloading file, but not uploading. In order to
upload file, you need to write a program in ASP.net or a similar technology.

Regards.
JE.

From: Ken Schaefer on

"John Elliot" <johne(a)anonymous.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Since you are open to third-party utilities, I recommend you check SynaMan
> (http://synaman.com)
>
> IIS by itself allows downloading file, but not uploading.

Actually IIS supports WebDAV, which allows PUT command, which can write
files to a server.

IIS also has FTP service :-)

Cheers
Ken

From: John Elliot on
Ken,

AFAIK, WebDAV is only for updating the web contents, such as .HTM, .ASP
files. Does it allow uploading files to a regular folder?

JE.