From: Dan on

"Dooza" <steveNO(a)SPAM.dooza.tv> wrote in message
> On 22/07/2010 13:28, Dan wrote:
>> It should only take you 20 seconds or so to swap them over, do you
>> really need to go to the trouble of having an intermediate maintenance
>> page too?
>>
>> Also, you could assign the same certificate to both the live and the
>> test site (IIS will happily let you use the same certificate on multiple
>> sites), and set the host headers and SSL port to the same on both
>> (obviously while the test site is stopped of course, as otherwise it
>> will conflict with the current site!), then stop the current site and
>> start the test site - you should be able to get down time to no more
>> than a second or so, at least no more than it would be if you were
>> stopping and starting sites in your method above.
>
> Hi Dan, that sounds good, but I am not sure how I get the same certificate
> on both sites. Can you explain it to me?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Steve

You've already got the certificate on one site, right? Just go to the other
in IIS manager, right click and go to the security tab. Click the Server
Certificate button, and then pick "Assign an existing certificate" - you'll
then get a list of all the certificates already in the store on the server,
pick the one you're already using and that's it. When you're ready to go
live, check all the details are right on your test (SSL port, host headers,
etc) and stop the current site and start up the test site.

--
Dan

From: Dooza on
On 22/07/2010 16:32, Dan wrote:

> "Dooza" <steveNO(a)SPAM.dooza.tv> wrote in message
>> On 22/07/2010 13:28, Dan wrote:
>>> It should only take you 20 seconds or so to swap them over, do you
>>> really need to go to the trouble of having an intermediate maintenance
>>> page too?
>>>
>>> Also, you could assign the same certificate to both the live and the
>>> test site (IIS will happily let you use the same certificate on multiple
>>> sites), and set the host headers and SSL port to the same on both
>>> (obviously while the test site is stopped of course, as otherwise it
>>> will conflict with the current site!), then stop the current site and
>>> start the test site - you should be able to get down time to no more
>>> than a second or so, at least no more than it would be if you were
>>> stopping and starting sites in your method above.
>>
>> Hi Dan, that sounds good, but I am not sure how I get the same
>> certificate on both sites. Can you explain it to me?
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Steve
>
> You've already got the certificate on one site, right? Just go to the
> other in IIS manager, right click and go to the security tab. Click the
> Server Certificate button, and then pick "Assign an existing
> certificate" - you'll then get a list of all the certificates already in
> the store on the server, pick the one you're already using and that's
> it. When you're ready to go live, check all the details are right on
> your test (SSL port, host headers, etc) and stop the current site and
> start up the test site.

Fantastic, once we have finished the testing I will do this. Thank you
for your help, its really appreciated.

Cheers,

Steve
From: .._.. on
Note, using the same cert simultaniously on two sites will only work if the
two sites (staging and production) are on two different IP addresses.

It won't work if you are using host headers only to differentiate site
traffic.

From: Dooza on
On 22/07/2010 16:43, .._.. wrote:
> Note, using the same cert simultaniously on two sites will only work if the
> two sites (staging and production) are on two different IP addresses.
>
> It won't work if you are using host headers only to differentiate site
> traffic.

It won't be used simultaneously, the test site will be stopped when it
has the SSL added to it, then when its time to go live I stop the
current site and start the new site.

Steve
From: Chris M on
On 22/07/2010 16:43, .._.. wrote:
> Note, using the same cert simultaniously on two sites will only work if the
> two sites (staging and production) are on two different IP addresses.
>
> It won't work if you are using host headers only to differentiate site
> traffic.

Yes, it will. You just can't do it via the GUI.

cscript adsutil SET W3SVC/<SiteID>/SecureBindings

--
Chris.