From: Dooza on
On 22/07/2010 16:32, Dan wrote:

> "Dooza" <steveNO(a)SPAM.dooza.tv> wrote in message
>> On 22/07/2010 13:28, Dan wrote:
>>> It should only take you 20 seconds or so to swap them over, do you
>>> really need to go to the trouble of having an intermediate maintenance
>>> page too?
>>>
>>> Also, you could assign the same certificate to both the live and the
>>> test site (IIS will happily let you use the same certificate on multiple
>>> sites), and set the host headers and SSL port to the same on both
>>> (obviously while the test site is stopped of course, as otherwise it
>>> will conflict with the current site!), then stop the current site and
>>> start the test site - you should be able to get down time to no more
>>> than a second or so, at least no more than it would be if you were
>>> stopping and starting sites in your method above.
>>
>> Hi Dan, that sounds good, but I am not sure how I get the same
>> certificate on both sites. Can you explain it to me?
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Steve
>
> You've already got the certificate on one site, right? Just go to the
> other in IIS manager, right click and go to the security tab. Click the
> Server Certificate button, and then pick "Assign an existing
> certificate" - you'll then get a list of all the certificates already in
> the store on the server, pick the one you're already using and that's
> it. When you're ready to go live, check all the details are right on
> your test (SSL port, host headers, etc) and stop the current site and
> start up the test site.

Hi Dan,
Just to let you know it worked perfectly. I moved from the old site to
the new one without any issues at all, thank you for your advice,
another lesson learnt!

Steve
From: Dan on

> On 22/07/2010 16:32, Dan wrote:
>>
>> "Dooza" <steveNO(a)SPAM.dooza.tv> wrote in message

>>> Hi Dan, that sounds good, but I am not sure how I get the same
>>> certificate on both sites. Can you explain it to me?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Steve
>>
>> You've already got the certificate on one site, right? Just go to the
>> other in IIS manager, right click and go to the security tab. Click the
>> Server Certificate button, and then pick "Assign an existing
>> certificate" - you'll then get a list of all the certificates already in
>> the store on the server, pick the one you're already using and that's
>> it. When you're ready to go live, check all the details are right on
>> your test (SSL port, host headers, etc) and stop the current site and
>> start up the test site.
>
> Hi Dan,
> Just to let you know it worked perfectly. I moved from the old site to the
> new one without any issues at all, thank you for your advice, another
> lesson learnt!
>
> Steve

Good to hear. It's always the first time that's a little nerve wracking, but
now you know it works you'll be clicking and switching without any worries
:)

--
Dan