From: David Wang [Msft] on
I repeat:
Until you troubleshoot based on the error code, you are just making random
changes that may/not actually solve anything.

Anyways, let's just concentrate on troubleshooting the actual issue and not
get frustrated by your random guesses at the problem. Really, IIS is telling
you what is wrong; you just have to learn to listen to it.

Starting from the error event itself -- If you look up Win32 Error 0x7E on
MSDN or Google (0x7E in hex is 126 in decimal), via "net helpmsg 126" (or
winerror or any such error code lookup tool easily found in the platform
SDK, via a web search, etc) it returns:

The specified module could not be found.

This means either:
1. The actual Filter DLL you configured IIS to load is not there
2. A DLL which the filter DLL depended on is not located on the server.

To troubleshoot #1
Make sure that the full path to the Filter DLL is correctly matched in IIS
configuration

To troubleshoot #2
Run "DEPENDS.EXE" from the platform SDK on your Filter DLL, and it should
quickly tell you what DLL(s) are missing.

Based on your description, I would first try:
dir C:\isapi_filter\yISAPI_AUTH_001.dll

and see if that succeeds. yISAPI_AUTH_001.dll seems like an odd name that
may have a typo (extra "y") in it.

If the above works, then run DEPENDS.EXE yISAPI_AUTH_001.dll on the DLL
file itself and look for any red boxes (which signify missing linkages).
Classic user mistakes at this point include:
1. compiling the filter DLL as debug (instead of retail), which causes the
DLLs to link against debug runtime libraries that are *not* on any normal
server that has not been set up for debugging
2. compiling the filter DLL against a newer version of C/MFC/ATL libraries
that are not on the server (i.e. if you compile on VS.Net or VS.Net 2003,
you will have linkage against v7.0 or v7.1 libraries while the OS would
obviously not have them ).

Classic user mistake #1 happens when you install VS.Net to a development
machine, which installs the debug runtime DLLs on the machine such that
everything magically works on that machine, but as soon as you copy it to a
real server (which usually does not have VS.Net installed), it fails.

Classic user mistake #2 happens when you lose track of what your Filter DLL
actually depends on (which is a user error -- you always must know what you
are compiling and taking a dependency on, especially if you wish to deploy
the DLL to another machine. The provider of the filter DLL must give correct
deployment instructions, including dependencies, since they are
responsible ).

If your problem does not match any of the above symptoms and classic
remedies, we will need to gather more details about your particular DLL
source code and server setup.

--
//David
IIS
"Charlie" <test(a)test.ca> wrote in message
I've installed the Latest SDK's and set my XP env to win2003 server like so:
SetEnv.Bat /SRV32 /DEBUG

same problem and error though