From: Jim S on

> In Outlook 2007, you control this by the Send/Receive Settings where you
> can request that only the headers are synchronized (that is obviously
> unavoidable). If I remember correctly, though, if you don't actively
> change this, you will have full synchronization as a result of
> subscribing. (With Thunderbird, you do it by selecting a folder for
> offline use, details omitted in this Outlook group. Default is to not
> have it available for offline use.)
>
> Nothing weird with Outlook 2007's folder structure in my view. It is a
> separate structure though from your Personal Folders structure.

Ok then please help me.
I now have an IMAP account only.

MY isp uses Google to store its mail so I have a set of personal folders
which include an inbox/outbox/sent items etc.
Q1 do I just collapse them and pretend they are not there or do they serve
a purpose?

In my IMAP folders I have a Google Mail folder which has
All-mail/Bin/Drafts/Sent Mail/Spam/Starred
Q2 do I collapse this until I need it?

In my IMAP folders, but outside Google Mail I have another Inbox (and all
the folders I dragged from my pop account before I deleted it.
Q3 Are these really the only folders I need?

I am on a single pc for home use only.
--
Jim S
Tyneside UK
From: Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook] on
"Jim S" <jim(a)jimXscott.co.uk> wrote in message

> Ok then please help me.
> I now have an IMAP account only.
>
> MY isp uses Google to store its mail so I have a set of personal folders
> which include an inbox/outbox/sent items etc.
> Q1 do I just collapse them and pretend they are not there or do they serve
> a purpose?

Since IMAP cannot support a calendar, contacts, tasks, or a journal (i.e., any
non-mail type of folder), Outlook must have these folders. Moreover, an IMAP
account's folders cannot be specified as the default folders in Outlook's mail
profile settings. Outlook always created the full complement of default
folders in its default folder file, so along with the non-mail folders, you
also get the mail folders, like Inbox, Outbox, Deleted Items, and so on. If
you do not use the non-mail features of Outlook, then, yes, those folders
won't help you. You should consider using a program other than Outlook in
that case. I hear Thunderbird is a good, free mail client that handles IMAP
accounts well.

> In my IMAP folders I have a Google Mail folder which has
> All-mail/Bin/Drafts/Sent Mail/Spam/Starred
> Q2 do I collapse this until I need it?

I usually specify "[Gmail]" as my folder root in the IMAP account settings. I
then right-click the IMAP folder root in the Navigation Pane, choose IMAP
Folders, and subscribe only to the folders I wish to see, selecting the option
to hide all non-subscribed folders. "All Mail", "Spam", and "Starred" are not
among the folders I want to appear. Doing this makes the gmail folders all
appear just under the root like Outlook normally presents folders.

> In my IMAP folders, but outside Google Mail I have another Inbox (and all
> the folders I dragged from my pop account before I deleted it.
> Q3 Are these really the only folders I need?

That's fine. If you have moved all your messags to the server. Since they're
not under the "Gmail" structure, my method of configuring the account won't
work well for you unless you put those folders at the same level as the normal
Inbox (which means you'd probably have to rename the extra Inbox you created
that's "outside".
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

From: Jim S on
On Thu, 1 Apr 2010 16:37:09 -0400, Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook] wrote:

> "Jim S" <jim(a)jimXscott.co.uk> wrote in message
>
>> Ok then please help me.
>> I now have an IMAP account only.
>>
>> MY isp uses Google to store its mail so I have a set of personal folders
>> which include an inbox/outbox/sent items etc.
>> Q1 do I just collapse them and pretend they are not there or do they serve
>> a purpose?
>
> Since IMAP cannot support a calendar, contacts, tasks, or a journal (i.e., any
> non-mail type of folder), Outlook must have these folders. Moreover, an IMAP
> account's folders cannot be specified as the default folders in Outlook's mail
> profile settings. Outlook always created the full complement of default
> folders in its default folder file, so along with the non-mail folders, you
> also get the mail folders, like Inbox, Outbox, Deleted Items, and so on. If
> you do not use the non-mail features of Outlook, then, yes, those folders
> won't help you. You should consider using a program other than Outlook in
> that case. I hear Thunderbird is a good, free mail client that handles IMAP
> accounts well.
>
>> In my IMAP folders I have a Google Mail folder which has
>> All-mail/Bin/Drafts/Sent Mail/Spam/Starred
>> Q2 do I collapse this until I need it?
>
> I usually specify "[Gmail]" as my folder root in the IMAP account settings. I
> then right-click the IMAP folder root in the Navigation Pane, choose IMAP
> Folders, and subscribe only to the folders I wish to see, selecting the option
> to hide all non-subscribed folders. "All Mail", "Spam", and "Starred" are not
> among the folders I want to appear. Doing this makes the gmail folders all
> appear just under the root like Outlook normally presents folders.
>
>> In my IMAP folders, but outside Google Mail I have another Inbox (and all
>> the folders I dragged from my pop account before I deleted it.
>> Q3 Are these really the only folders I need?
>
> That's fine. If you have moved all your messags to the server. Since they're
> not under the "Gmail" structure, my method of configuring the account won't
> work well for you unless you put those folders at the same level as the normal
> Inbox (which means you'd probably have to rename the extra Inbox you created
> that's "outside".

I understand (most of) what you say except that the Inbox was not created
by me and appears OUTSIDE the Gmail folder.
--
Jim S
Tyneside UK
From: Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook] on

> I understand (most of) what you say except that the Inbox was not created
> by me and appears OUTSIDE the Gmail folder.

It's the same Inbox, then. If you wish to try what I suggest, nothing adverse
will happen. See if you like it.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

From: Jim S on
On Mon, 5 Apr 2010 09:14:04 -0400, Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook] wrote:

> "Jim S" <jim(a)jimXscott.co.uk> wrote in message
>
>> I understand (most of) what you say except that the Inbox was not created
>> by me and appears OUTSIDE the Gmail folder.
>
> It's the same Inbox, then. If you wish to try what I suggest, nothing adverse
> will happen. See if you like it.

Nah.
It's the second or third time I have tried IMAP because - well no reason
really. I really don't feel comfortable with it and away from home I can
use webmail. So it's gone.
Thanks anyhow.
--
Jim S