From: Jim S on
I tried using O 2007 with IMAP a while ago. It worked well enough but
seemed to take an inordinate amount of time synchronising.
Can I avoid this unless I choose?
I do keep a fair number of folders on my pc, which I understand need to
be synchronised - but every time?
My isp uses a version of Gmail for its mail if that makes any difference.
I can see this being a problem if I was to access my mail from a memory
stick as I wouldn't want all my folders to download to that.
--
Jim S
From: Jim S on
On Tue, 30 Mar 2010 22:16:06 +0200, Roady [MVP] wrote:

> The first time you synchronize it does a full sync to cache the entire
> mailbox. Additional caching/synching takes place when you access a folder or
> during a scheduled send/receive operation. It only syncs the changes.
> Setting the send/receive interval to a ridiculously low number (like less
> than 5), can result in endless send/receive tasks.
>
> If you have a virus scanner installed with Outlook, disable its integration
> with Outlook. Especially when it writes some sort of "scanned" marker to the
> message, you'll double the traffic since now the change needs to be synched
> back to the server again.

Ok so I set it up with my desktop pc.
When I try to access it with an email client on my flash drive won't it
download the files to my drive?
--
Jim S
Tyneside UK
From: Jim S on
On Tue, 30 Mar 2010 22:42:37 +0200, Roady [MVP] wrote:

> That completely depends on the mail client that you are using on that drive
> and not Outlook. Assuming you are making an IMAP connection with that client
> as well, then that application will probably build a cache somewhere as
> well. IMAP accounts will always leave a copy on the server if that was your
> actual question.

Bear with me as I don't quite understand this IMAP business and of course I
am ending up asking a question about IMAP and not strictly Outlook :o)
If you are prepared to answer then if I have a big folder setup on my pc,
this will be mirrored on the server - fine - but if I now access it by e.g.
Thunderbird or the like from my flash drive, won't the folder(s) need to be
downloaded to the flash drive which might not have enough space.
--
Jim S
Tyneside UK
From: Jim S on
On Wed, 31 Mar 2010 00:48:03 +0200, Roady [MVP] wrote:

> With an IMAP account you can subscribe to the folder you want.
> Any folder that you subscribe to will have a 2-way sync with the server so
> changes you made on either side will be reflected to either side as well.
> Since everything is stored on the server, other clients can reach the
> content you added via Outlook as well.
>
> If you subscribe to a folder and you run out of disk space, then it is
> totally up to the mail client that you use how that is dealt with. This
> could be anything from a friendly error, a crash or data corruption. In case
> of Outlook, you'll get a send/receive error and the sync process is halted.

Thanks.
Perhaps the USB stick access will have to be via webmail
OR
I just stick with POP3 as I seem to recall the folder structure in O-2007
was a bit weird.
--
Jim S
Tyneside UK
From: Kjell B. on
Jim S wrote:
> On Wed, 31 Mar 2010 00:48:03 +0200, Roady [MVP] wrote:
>
>> With an IMAP account you can subscribe to the folder you want.
>> Any folder that you subscribe to will have a 2-way sync with the server so
>> changes you made on either side will be reflected to either side as well.
>> Since everything is stored on the server, other clients can reach the
>> content you added via Outlook as well.
>>
>> If you subscribe to a folder and you run out of disk space, then it is
>> totally up to the mail client that you use how that is dealt with. This
>> could be anything from a friendly error, a crash or data corruption. In case
>> of Outlook, you'll get a send/receive error and the sync process is halted.
>
> Thanks.
> Perhaps the USB stick access will have to be via webmail
> OR
> I just stick with POP3 as I seem to recall the folder structure in O-2007
> was a bit weird.

To my knowledge, neither Outlook 2007 nor Thunderbird do a full
synchronization just because a folder is subscribed. (I understand that
Outlook 2010 does though.)

In Outlook 2007, you control this by the Send/Receive Settings where you
can request that only the headers are synchronized (that is obviously
unavoidable). If I remember correctly, though, if you don't actively
change this, you will have full synchronization as a result of
subscribing. (With Thunderbird, you do it by selecting a folder for
offline use, details omitted in this Outlook group. Default is to not
have it available for offline use.)

Nothing weird with Outlook 2007's folder structure in my view. It is a
separate structure though from your Personal Folders structure.

--
Kjell