From: Kjell B. on
Jim S wrote:
> On Mon, 5 Apr 2010 09:14:04 -0400, Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook] wrote:
>
>> "Jim S" <jim(a)jimXscott.co.uk> wrote in message
>>
>>> I understand (most of) what you say except that the Inbox was not created
>>> by me and appears OUTSIDE the Gmail folder.
>> It's the same Inbox, then. If you wish to try what I suggest, nothing adverse
>> will happen. See if you like it.
>
> Nah.
> It's the second or third time I have tried IMAP because - well no reason
> really. I really don't feel comfortable with it and away from home I can
> use webmail. So it's gone.
> Thanks anyhow.

You can of course only use webmail for email still on the server. Those
downloaded via POP3 are normally not accessible when you're not at home
(i.e. unless you can and do use a "keep on server" option such as at
least Thunderbird has). The need for this depends on your use case
though. I

A benefit with IMAP is that you don't need to arrange for a backup
yourself. That should be taken care of by the mail service provider. In
the case of Google, I assume they could be trusted on that part.

I use IMAP whenever possible both due to that all my mails are available
from wherever I am plus the backup aspect. I think most webmail services
I've came across with ISPs are awkward from a usability point of view.
(If I happen to have the luck to have an Exchange server option, I'd go
for that. Even better if it is Exchange 2007 as the webmail service
provided by it is very good although not as the full Outlook client.)

--
Kjell
From: Jim S on
On Tue, 06 Apr 2010 22:54:36 +0200, Kjell B. wrote:

> Jim S wrote:
>> On Mon, 5 Apr 2010 09:14:04 -0400, Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook] wrote:
>>
>>> "Jim S" <jim(a)jimXscott.co.uk> wrote in message

>>> It's the same Inbox, then. If you wish to try what I suggest, nothing adverse
>>> will happen. See if you like it.
>>
>> Nah.
>> It's the second or third time I have tried IMAP because - well no reason
>> really. I really don't feel comfortable with it and away from home I can
>> use webmail. So it's gone.
>> Thanks anyhow.
>
> You can of course only use webmail for email still on the server. Those
> downloaded via POP3 are normally not accessible when you're not at home
> (i.e. unless you can and do use a "keep on server" option such as at
> least Thunderbird has). The need for this depends on your use case
> though. I
>
> A benefit with IMAP is that you don't need to arrange for a backup
> yourself. That should be taken care of by the mail service provider. In
> the case of Google, I assume they could be trusted on that part.
>
> I use IMAP whenever possible both due to that all my mails are available
> from wherever I am plus the backup aspect. I think most webmail services
> I've came across with ISPs are awkward from a usability point of view.
> (If I happen to have the luck to have an Exchange server option, I'd go
> for that. Even better if it is Exchange 2007 as the webmail service
> provided by it is very good although not as the full Outlook client.)

I know, I know but my isp's webmail uses Google so it's all always there.
--
Jim S
Tyneside UK