From: JL on
Purchased an old Nokia on eBay a few weeks ago and been using it with
a Vodafone SIM with no problems. When I insert an Orange SIM I get
signal for a few seconds and then it disappears. Selecting 'Orange' on
a manual network search gives a 'No Access' message.

Thought there was something funny happening with Orange but I've since
tested all networks and am thinking the handset has possibly been
reported stolen:
O2 and Vodafone - No problems, will register and make/receive calls
Orange and T-Mobile - Brief registration with good signal and then
signal goes. Manual search gives 'No Access'.

If the IMEI was barred surely I shouldn't be able to make calls using
O2 and Voda?

Does it sound like the IMEI is barred or something else? If so, any
way I can get this bar lifted...not sure I'll have much luck, but
might try ringing Orange in the morning...

From: Steve Dulieu on

"JL" <newsaccount(a)mail2web.com> wrote in message
> Purchased an old Nokia on eBay a few weeks ago and been using it with
> a Vodafone SIM with no problems. When I insert an Orange SIM I get
> signal for a few seconds and then it disappears. Selecting 'Orange' on
> a manual network search gives a 'No Access' message.
>
> Thought there was something funny happening with Orange but I've since
> tested all networks and am thinking the handset has possibly been
> reported stolen:
> O2 and Vodafone - No problems, will register and make/receive calls
> Orange and T-Mobile - Brief registration with good signal and then
> signal goes. Manual search gives 'No Access'.
>
> If the IMEI was barred surely I shouldn't be able to make calls using
> O2 and Voda?
>
> Does it sound like the IMEI is barred or something else? If so, any
> way I can get this bar lifted...not sure I'll have much luck, but
> might try ringing Orange in the morning...

No need, you've managed to buy a single band GSM900 handset. Ain't ever
gonna work on Orange or T-mobile (which use GSM1800) I'm afraid.
--
Cheers, Steve.
Change jealous to sad to reply.

From: Steve Terry on
"JL" <newsaccount(a)mail2web.com> wrote in message
> Purchased an old Nokia on eBay a few weeks ago and been using it with
> a Vodafone SIM with no problems. When I insert an Orange SIM I get
> signal for a few seconds and then it disappears. Selecting 'Orange' on
> a manual network search gives a 'No Access' message.
>
> Thought there was something funny happening with Orange but I've since
> tested all networks and am thinking the handset has possibly been
> reported stolen:
> O2 and Vodafone - No problems, will register and make/receive calls
> Orange and T-Mobile - Brief registration with good signal and then
> signal goes. Manual search gives 'No Access'.
>
> If the IMEI was barred surely I shouldn't be able to make calls using
> O2 and Voda?
>
> Does it sound like the IMEI is barred or something else? If so, any
> way I can get this bar lifted...not sure I'll have much luck, but
> might try ringing Orange in the morning...

Sounds like it's faulty on 1800MHz
If it was a 900MHz monobander you wouldn't get to select Orange
or T Mobile at all.

Before the Dublin blacklist database Orange and T Mobile
would blacklist on their own network phones with bad billing.
i.e. if it was blacklisted on Orange it would still work on T Mobile
and visa versa

What phone is it?

Steve Terry
--
Welcome Sign-up Bonus of �1 when you signup free at:
http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/G4WWK

From: Jim.GM4DHJ/ Mobile... on

"Steve Dulieu" <steve.dulieu(a)greenyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

> "JL" <newsaccount(a)mail2web.com> wrote in message
>> Purchased an old Nokia on eBay a few weeks ago and been using it with
>> a Vodafone SIM with no problems. When I insert an Orange SIM I get
>> signal for a few seconds and then it disappears. Selecting 'Orange' on
>> a manual network search gives a 'No Access' message.
>>
>> Thought there was something funny happening with Orange but I've since
>> tested all networks and am thinking the handset has possibly been
>> reported stolen:
>> O2 and Vodafone - No problems, will register and make/receive calls
>> Orange and T-Mobile - Brief registration with good signal and then
>> signal goes. Manual search gives 'No Access'.
>>
>> If the IMEI was barred surely I shouldn't be able to make calls using
>> O2 and Voda?
>>
>> Does it sound like the IMEI is barred or something else? If so, any
>> way I can get this bar lifted...not sure I'll have much luck, but
>> might try ringing Orange in the morning...
>>
> No need, you've managed to buy a single band GSM900 handset. Ain't ever
> gonna work on Orange or T-mobile (which use GSM1800) I'm afraid.

bit like my philips c12 then...quality....

From: JL on
On 22 July, 07:16, "Jim.GM4DHJ/ Mobile..." <jim.gm4...(a)ntlworld.com>
wrote:
> "Steve Dulieu" <steve.dul...(a)greenyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

> > "JL" <newsacco...(a)mail2web.com> wrote in message
> >> Purchased an old Nokia on eBay a few weeks ago and been using it with
> >> a Vodafone SIM with no problems.  When I insert an Orange SIM I get
> >> signal for a few seconds and then it disappears. Selecting 'Orange' on
> >> a manual network search gives a 'No Access' message.
>
> >> Thought there was something funny happening with Orange but I've since
> >> tested all networks and am thinking the handset has possibly been
> >> reported stolen:
> >> O2 and Vodafone - No problems, will register and make/receive calls
> >> Orange and T-Mobile - Brief registration with good signal and then
> >> signal goes.  Manual search gives 'No Access'.
>
> >> If the IMEI was barred surely I shouldn't be able to make calls using
> >> O2 and Voda?
>
> >> Does it sound like the IMEI is barred or something else?  If so, any
> >> way I can get this bar lifted...not sure I'll have much luck, but
> >> might try ringing Orange in the morning...
>
> > No need, you've managed to buy a single band GSM900 handset. Ain't ever
> > gonna work on Orange or T-mobile (which use GSM1800) I'm afraid.
>
> bit like my philips c12 then...quality....

It's a 6210 - it is not 900Mhz only.

Orange and T-Mobile show up in a manual network search and the phone
will briefly display 'Orange' when switching it on, and then the
signal goes. When the phone is next to the computer speakers you can
hear the interference so there is definitely some communication
happening between the handset and Orange...