From: dmh on
Hi,
I've been waiting to install Server R2 with the new RDS feature - IP
Virtualization - so that our user sessions get a unique IP address at
logon. This then allows us to use our Watchguard Firebox and various
rules to control user activity on the internet.

Finally installed last weekend. I did a direct upgrade from Server
2008 to 2008 R2 without incident.

Enabling IP Virtulization per session is basically 2 check boxes.
Should be easy.

The problem is that some sessions are still getting the RDS Host IP
address of 192.168.16.5 when they logon.
If I do an IP config from either the Client or the Host I see

IPv4 Address 192.168.16.5
IPv4 Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
IPv4Address 192.168.16.100
IPv4 Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway and DNS etc

I've used the documented registry setting to allocate an IP range for
IP Virtulization - 192.168.16.100 to 192.168.16.199 and excluded this
range in DHCP.

I'm expecting when I go to my Firebox that I would see my
authenticated user shown as user(a)activedirectory 192.168.16.100 and so
on. Instead I see user(a)activedirectory 192.168.16.5

When it shows the users IP address as 192.168.16.5 all our security
rules go out the windows.

This is one of the issues this feature was supposed to address.

Questions.

1. Is there an easy way to determine the IP address issued to a
session (you would think it would be shown in the Remote Desktop
Servies Manager? ) While the example above shows 192.168.16.100 I've
seen examples of several more IP addresses being in this list with no
way of knowing which one is "active" for that specific users session.
I had read that a user would only see their own IP address whereas an
Administrator would see all IP address. This is not the case.

2. Does anyone know why the users session is not getting just the IP
address designated as it is designed to do.
If I can stop sessions getting the RDS host ip address I would be
golden.

Any help or pointers would be appreciated. I've run out of ideas.

Thank you
David