From: Koen on
Hey,

We're having a similar issue. Could you post the URL where you found the information. I cannot find it on the Citrix site.

Thanks in advance,

Koen

W.a.Sdanou wrote:

Re: Installing software is very slow on TS 2003
24-Jan-09

On 9-1-2009 15:42, gabrielthewhite(a)community.nospam wrote:
We've resolved the problem.
It's the Universal Printer Driver from Hewlett pakckard that's filling
up the registry, every time a remote user made a connection to the
terminal servers. I read the problem description and solution from the
citrix site. We had to make a script to be executed by every remote user
logging on, to remove al unnessecary registry key's. This was done by
exporting the regisitry keys to excel and than adding the right commands
to every line to delete the keys one by one.
The problem is also resolved with the latest version 4.7.2 of the
universal printer driver. But it doesn't remove the unnessecary keys
automaticaly.

On Saturday, December 27, 2008 8:41 AM
W.a.Sdanou wrote:

Installing software is very slow on TS 2003
Since a few month's were having a problem with installing new software
on both windows 2003 SP2 R2 terminal servers. We don't know exactly when
it occured first. No other servers seem to have this problem. We tried
to trace it back to some other installed piece of software or windows
update, but without any succes. What happens is the following. When
installing a small piece of software like delprof.exe, it takes about 25
minutes before it's done. During this time, msiexec.exe takes 25% of the
processor capacity. On other servers it takes about 10 seconds to
install. Its on a dual processor 3Ghz (with hyperthreading) ProLiant
DL360 G4p. Also, at times it takes a few minutes for users to logon.
this times it's the userinit.exe that uses 25% processor
capacity.Installing Windows updates or other software takes hours.

We have check about all the obviouse things, like slow hardware,
profiles, redirecting, other software but nothing came up.

Does anyone have a suggestion, or had to cope with the same problem?

On Sunday, December 28, 2008 4:02 PM
Vera Noest [MVP] wrote:

You might want to enable both user environment and windows installer logging
You might want to enable both user environment and windows
installer logging to get more information about what is going on:

221833 - How to enable user environment debug logging in retail
builds of Windows
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=221833

223300 - How to Enable Windows Installer Logging
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=223300

Vera Noest
TS troubleshooting: http://ts.veranoest.net
___ please respond in newsgroup, NOT by private email ___

"W.a.Sdanou" <wasdanou(a)gmail.com> wrote on 27 dec 2008 in
microsoft.public.windows.terminal_services:

On Tuesday, December 30, 2008 6:44 AM
W.a.Sdanou wrote:

I won't bother you with the complete logging, but I logged removing and
I won't bother you with the complete logging, but I logged removing and
installing delprog.msi and noticed the following lines. Notice the
amount of time after logging "Opening Terminal Server registry
propogation window".

when installing:

MSI (s) (04:60) [11:57:09:110]: Server not locked: locking for product
{6E5C9B5E-8AB6-4D49-9DF7-1A48B29BB9E1}
MSI (s) (04:60) [11:57:09:141]: Opening Terminal Server registry
propogation window.
Action ended 12:32:35: InstallInitialize. Return value 1.
MSI (s) (04:60) [12:32:35:567]: Doing action: ProcessComponents
Action 12:32:35: ProcessComponents. Updating component registration
Action start 12:32:35: ProcessComponents.

I've also seen some of these error messages:

DEBUG: Error 2826: Control BottomLine on dialog PrepareDlg extends
beyond the boundaries of the dialog to the right by 5 pixels
Internal Error 2826. PrepareDlg, BottomLine, to the right

But in the end it simply says:

=== Logging stopped: 30-12-2008 12:34:42 ===
MSI (c) (70:90) [12:34:42:911]: Note: 1: 1707
MSI (c) (70:90) [12:34:42:911]: Product: Windows Resource Kit Tools -
DelProf.exe -- Installation operation completed successfully.

MSI (c) (70:90) [12:34:42:911]: Windows Installer installed the product.
Product Name: Windows Resource Kit Tools - DelProf.exe. Product Version:
5.2.3790.1060. Product Language: 1033. Installation success or error
status: 0.

MSI (c) (70:90) [12:34:42:911]: Grabbed execution mutex.
MSI (c) (70:90) [12:34:42:911]: Cleaning up uninstalled install
packages, if any exist
MSI (c) (70:90) [12:34:42:927]: MainEngineThread is returning 0
=== Verbose logging stopped: 30-12-2008 12:34:43 ===

I've searched around and wonder if reinstalling .NET framework 1.0 and
3.p sp1 can resolve this. Or are there other roads to be walked.

On 28-12-2008 22:02, Vera Noest [MVP] wrote:

On Friday, January 09, 2009 9:42 AM
gabrielthewhitecommunitynospa wrote:

Hey man.. did you ever make any progress on this?
Hey man.. did you ever make any progress on this? I have been experiencing a
similar problem on a couple 2003 terminal servers of mine, and I'd love to
hear what you have learned!!

Gabe

On Friday, January 09, 2009 5:12 PM
W.a.Sdanou wrote:

No, as you can see I got no further reply on my last post.
No, as you can see I got no further reply on my last post.
Tried to reinstall MSI 4.5 incl hotfix but that didnt work.
Also re-installing .net framework 3.5 sp1 didnt bring any succes.
What I did see, is when installing a product, and using process-explorer
from sysinternals, and looking at all handles and DLLs processes opened
and loaded by msiexec I see a lot of HP-management tools preferences. I
tried to start a install of the lateste HP Proliant support Pack
software, but it timed out on installing the first new drivers.
But I suspect that there can be something wrong with the HP software.
I did'nt find anything conclusive yet on timeout issues on the HP site.

On 9-1-2009 15:42, gabrielthewhite(a)community.nospam wrote:

On Friday, January 09, 2009 5:42 PM
Jeff Pitsch wrote:

Is it possible to uninstall the support pack?
Is it possible to uninstall the support pack?

Jeff Pitsch
Microsoft MVP - Terminal Services

W.a.Sdanou wrote:

On Saturday, January 10, 2009 12:32 PM
W.a.Sdanou wrote:

I don't believe it possible.
I don't believe it possible. So removing all drivers one by one seems to
be the only option. But I don't want to do this because, also when
removing any software, it's very slow. I expect that time out errors
will occure when removing every piece of HP software. reinstalling a
completely new machine probably takes less time, and i'm already
considering this. But without knowing the cause of this issue it could
even return after installing a brand new machine, which would than have
been a waste of time.

On 9-1-2009 23:42, Jeff Pitsch wrote:

On Saturday, January 24, 2009 2:17 PM
W.a.Sdanou wrote:

Re: Installing software is very slow on TS 2003
On 9-1-2009 15:42, gabrielthewhite(a)community.nospam wrote:
We've resolved the problem.
It's the Universal Printer Driver from Hewlett pakckard that's filling
up the registry, every time a remote user made a connection to the
terminal servers. I read the problem description and solution from the
citrix site. We had to make a script to be executed by every remote user
logging on, to remove al unnessecary registry key's. This was done by
exporting the regisitry keys to excel and than adding the right commands
to every line to delete the keys one by one.
The problem is also resolved with the latest version 4.7.2 of the
universal printer driver. But it doesn't remove the unnessecary keys
automaticaly.

ActiveReports For .NET to PDF Format In Browser
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/9354d8a6-d09a-4249-aa75-be519f4f4272/activereports-for-net-to.aspx