From: John John - MVP on
William B. Lurie wrote:
>>> [snip]

>>> I don't know why tasklist.exe doesn't play. That command line
>>> has more to it, though.
>>
>> Look at the list of processes in the Task Manager, Tasklist gives you
>> this information (and more) and allows you to capture the list to an
>> output file. You need to strip the streams from the file, I think
>> that when you execute the command and are prompted to confirm the
>> command is relaunched minus any switches or redirection operators.
>> *******************************
> ******************************
> John, I think you're right about the command not relaunching with
> switches, and I'd like to do it fully, but is there another
> workaround? I'm in this so deep, I'd love to pursue it further
> and maybe speed up the boot process, and get rid of unnecessary
> churning of the CPU and hard drive.
> *************************************
> *************************************

Did you try copying the Tasklist.exe file to non NTFS media and then
back? If you can't do it that way then you can use one of these stream
utilities:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897440.aspx
Streams

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/alternate_data_streams.html
AlternateStreamView - View/Copy/Delete NTFS Alternate Data Streams

http://www.merijn.nu/programs.php
(Look for ADS Spy)

John
From: William B. Lurie on

(snip)
John John

>> So now I have the list, and I can decide which of those files
>> I really don't want; that's the next game, right?
>
> Well, yes... sort of. You have the list of services, you set the
> unnecessary services to Manual start. A few of them you set to
> Disabled, there aren't many services that should be disabled, setting
> unwanted services to Manual start is usually the way to handle
> unnecessary services. If you want you can post the list of services and
> we might suggest obvious candidates for the removal list.
>
> John

John, I went to Start>>Run>>cmd and at the > prompt
entered tasklist /svc >C:\startlist.txt
and it executed and made the file. Likewise net start ....

http://bellsouthpwp.net/b/i/billurie/startlist.txt

is the complete file.

I see there about 90% of the items I really wouldn't know
what to do with. If you'd like to suggest which I can
relegate to "Manual" or even "Off" I'd be willing to give
it a go.

Bill Lurie
From: John John - MVP on
William B. Lurie wrote:

> (snip)
> John John
>

>>> So now I have the list, and I can decide which of those files
>>> I really don't want; that's the next game, right?
>>
>> Well, yes... sort of. You have the list of services, you set the
>> unnecessary services to Manual start. A few of them you set to
>> Disabled, there aren't many services that should be disabled, setting
>> unwanted services to Manual start is usually the way to handle
>> unnecessary services. If you want you can post the list of services
>> and we might suggest obvious candidates for the removal list.
>>
>> John
>
> John, I went to Start>>Run>>cmd and at the > prompt
> entered tasklist /svc >C:\startlist.txt
> and it executed and made the file. Likewise net start ....
>
> http://bellsouthpwp.net/b/i/billurie/startlist.txt
>
> is the complete file.
>
> I see there about 90% of the items I really wouldn't know
> what to do with. If you'd like to suggest which I can
> relegate to "Manual" or even "Off" I'd be willing to give
> it a go.

Ok, now you have something to work with. I have a pretty busy day so I
probably won't be able to to get back to you until later today.

Do you share a printer with others? If no you can start by disabling
File and Printer Sharing, you don't share files and no one accesses your
computer on a network so you may as well close this hole the size of
Texas on the machine... It's relatively safe when properly secured but
it's still a hole the size of Texas and if you don't need it close it.

http://safecomputing.umn.edu/guides/fileandprint.html
Disable Network Sharing

http://www.nnex.net/tech/winxp/file_print.htm
Disable File and Print Sharing in Windows XP

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6600_7-6344921-1.html
CNET Security Center How to disable File and Printer Sharing

John
From: William B. Lurie on
John John - MVP wrote:
> William B. Lurie wrote:
>>
>> (snip)
>> John John

>>> Well, yes... sort of. You have the list of services, you set the
>>> unnecessary services to Manual start. A few of them you set to
>>> Disabled, there aren't many services that should be disabled, setting
>>> unwanted services to Manual start is usually the way to handle
>>> unnecessary services. If you want you can post the list of services
>>> and we might suggest obvious candidates for the removal list.
>>>
>>> John
>>
>> John, I went to Start>>Run>>cmd and at the > prompt
>> entered tasklist /svc >C:\startlist.txt
>> and it executed and made the file. Likewise net start ....
>>
>> http://bellsouthpwp.net/b/i/billurie/startlist.txt
>>
>> is the complete file.
>>
>> I see there about 90% of the items I really wouldn't know
>> what to do with. If you'd like to suggest which I can
>> relegate to "Manual" or even "Off" I'd be willing to give
>> it a go.
>
> Ok, now you have something to work with. I have a pretty busy day so I
> probably won't be able to to get back to you until later today.
>
> Do you share a printer with others? If no you can start by disabling
> File and Printer Sharing, you don't share files and no one accesses your
> computer on a network so you may as well close this hole the size of
> Texas on the machine... It's relatively safe when properly secured but
> it's still a hole the size of Texas and if you don't need it close it.
>
> http://safecomputing.umn.edu/guides/fileandprint.html
> Disable Network Sharing
>
> http://www.nnex.net/tech/winxp/file_print.htm
> Disable File and Print Sharing in Windows XP
>
> http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6600_7-6344921-1.html
> CNET Security Center How to disable File and Printer Sharing
>
> John

Thanks, John. I disabled file and printer sharing. When you have
time, I welcome your pointing me toward other stuff that is in the
tasklist that can be switched to manual. I assume that 'manual'
means it does not load on startup but still can be loaded when
needed.
Bill
From: Unknown on
A suggestion for you. Do a Google for 'windowsxp services tweak guide' and
print it out.
It has proven very helpful for me. It explains all services and what
settings should be.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Prev: yahoo's email window