From: William B. Lurie on
Thank you, "un"......I shall do that.

From: John John - MVP on
William B. Lurie wrote:
> John John - MVP wrote:
>> William B. Lurie wrote:
>>>
>>> (snip)
>>> John John

>>> John, I went to Start>>Run>>cmd and at the > prompt
>>> entered tasklist /svc >C:\startlist.txt
>>> and it executed and made the file. Likewise net start ....
>>>
>>> http://bellsouthpwp.net/b/i/billurie/startlist.txt
>>>
>>> is the complete file.
>>>
>>> I see there about 90% of the items I really wouldn't know
>>> what to do with. If you'd like to suggest which I can
>>> relegate to "Manual" or even "Off" I'd be willing to give
>>> it a go.
>>
>> Ok, now you have something to work with. I have a pretty busy day so
>> I probably won't be able to to get back to you until later today.
>>
>> Do you share a printer with others? If no you can start by disabling
>> File and Printer Sharing, you don't share files and no one accesses
>> your computer on a network so you may as well close this hole the size
>> of Texas on the machine... It's relatively safe when properly secured
>> but it's still a hole the size of Texas and if you don't need it close
>> it.
>>
>> http://safecomputing.umn.edu/guides/fileandprint.html
>> Disable Network Sharing
>>
>> http://www.nnex.net/tech/winxp/file_print.htm
>> Disable File and Print Sharing in Windows XP
>>
>> http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6600_7-6344921-1.html
>> CNET Security Center How to disable File and Printer Sharing
>>
>> John
>
> Thanks, John. I disabled file and printer sharing. When you have
> time, I welcome your pointing me toward other stuff that is in the
> tasklist that can be switched to manual. I assume that 'manual'
> means it does not load on startup but still can be loaded when
> needed.

Yes, setting a service to "Manual" means that the service is not set to
start when the computer is booted and that it will be loaded if needed.
Note that even if set to manual the service might still load when the
computer is booted, that is normal, by and large you should not set a
service to "Disabled" unless you have good reasons to do so. Also note
that some services that are set to manual might not launch properly when
needed, in these cases the service must remain as an "Automatic" start
service. Let's start with the list of services, after you clean the
services up a bit you can then address the Tasklist processes.

Please keep the following in mind:

1- Do not change the startup type unless you understand the purpose of
the service.

2- Keep a record of the changes that you make, in case you need to
reverse them later.

3- Create Restore Points before making changes.

4- Keep in mind that disabling one item might cause other services or
processes to also disappear from the start list, a service or process
might spawn other processes so it isn't unusual to see more than one
thing disappear from the start list when you make changes. Also note
that a service might rely on the presence of another service so killing
one service might prevent another one from successfully starting. Rerun
your "Net Start" and "Tasklist /svc" commands after you make changes and
compare with the previous list.

5- Look in the Event Viewer log after you disable services and reboot
the machine, make sure that the changes do not trigger errors or warnings.

6- It's your computer, only you know exactly what is being run on it
and what is going on with it. We may offer suggestions but ultimately
the decisions are yours to make, we can't be held responsible if things
go sour. Remember that "One Man's Junk is Another Man's Treasure" and
that services or processes that are useless to us might be indispensable
to you, no two computers are the same!

For the time being lest look at the list of *Services* and some that I
would set to manual or disabled:

Ati HotKey Poller

I would set this service to Manual start or even disable it. Doing away
with this might cure the ATI errors showing up in your Event Log. Most
people don't make use of ATI HotKeys but before you change the service
read here (Look for the entry under Ati2evxx, Atievxx, Atipolab):

http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pages/tasklist_a.htm

Distributed Link Tracking Client
Set it to manual, I doubt that you have any need for this.

DNS Client
Set this to manual.

Fast User Switching Compatibility
You're the sole user on the machine, no need to Fast User Switch, set
this service to manual.

Machine Debug Manager
A pesky thing that probably came to you courtesy of Microsoft Office,
set it to manual. This thing can be pretty persistent and a bit
difficult to disable.

Pervasive PSQL Workgroup Engine
I don't know what this is for, are you using database software?

Secondary Logon
Set this to manual, it allows you to run programs or processes under a
different user account (such as the RunAs feature). Most folks never
use this.

Server
If you uninstalled File and Printer Sharing the Server service should no
longer be in the list of services. If File and Printer Sharing was only
disabled the Server service will still show but it should not be
running. For additional security, if the service is still on the list
you can set it to disabled, this will prevent File and Printer Sharing
from running.

SSDP Discovery Service
I always set this to disabled and I have never had any problems with it
being disabled. There are security concerns around this service and
most folks don't want it running on their computers but read here before
you disable it:

http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/Services/SSDP_Discovery_Service.htm

TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper
Set this to manual, only needed for NetBIOS name resolution on networks.

Viewpoint Manager Service
I haven't a clue what this is for.

WebClient
Set this to manual.

Windows Time
Entirely up to you, sets (synchronizes) the time on your computer with a
time server on the internet.

Wireless Zero Configuration
No wireless devices, no need for this. Set it to manual.

John
From: William B. Lurie on
John John - MVP wrote:
> [...]
>

> SSDP Discovery Service
> I always set this to disabled and I have never had any problems with it
> being disabled. There are security concerns around this service and
> most folks don't want it running on their computers but read here before
> you disable it:
>
> http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/Services/SSDP_Discovery_Service.htm
>

> TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper
> Set this to manual, only needed for NetBIOS name resolution on networks.
>

> Viewpoint Manager Service
> I haven't a clue what this is for.
>

> WebClient
> Set this to manual.
>

> Windows Time
> Entirely up to you, sets (synchronizes) the time on your computer with a
> time server on the internet.
>

> Wireless Zero Configuration
> No wireless devices, no need for this. Set it to manual.

Thanks for spending the time, John. I do appreciate it.
Bill
From: John John - MVP on
William B. Lurie wrote:
> [...]
>> it being disabled. There are security concerns around this service
>> and most folks don't want it running on their computers but read here
>> before you disable it:
>>
>> http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/Services/SSDP_Discovery_Service.htm
>>

>> TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper
>> Set this to manual, only needed for NetBIOS name resolution on networks.
>>

>> Viewpoint Manager Service
>> I haven't a clue what this is for.
>>

>> WebClient
>> Set this to manual.
>>

>> Windows Time
>> Entirely up to you, sets (synchronizes) the time on your computer with
>> a time server on the internet.
>>

>> Wireless Zero Configuration
>> No wireless devices, no need for this. Set it to manual.
>>

>> John
> Thanks for spending the time, John. I do appreciate it.

You're welcome.

John
First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2 3 4