From: BillW50 on
In news:ee19e5hrn2i2mgs9onqpbbtr5cjh180nd7(a)4ax.com,
Fixer typed on Sun, 25 Oct 2009 17:09:06 +0000:
> On Sun, 25 Oct 2009 08:26:52 -0500, BillW50 <BillW50(a)aol.kom> wrote:
>
>> Fixer wrote on Sat, 24 Oct 2009 09:00:59 +0100:
>>> I am searching for a 64bit mp3 utility that I can use to replace
>>> MusicMatch Jukebox. I know there are lots of players out there but
>>> what I need it to do most is the ability to simply double click
>>> songs in my library and add them to a playlist. All the software
>>> out there seems to require playlists to be created in advance and
>>> not 'on-the-fly' like Musicmatch allows.
>>>
>>> any suggestions?
>>
>> Sure Windows Media Player can do that (probably others too). By
>> default, double clicking creates a new playlist. Although right
>> clicking allows adding to the current playlist. To change the
>> default of double left clicking, go to file types and you can change
>> the default action when you double click.
>
> Unfortunatly no it doesn't it was one of the 1st i tried, when you
> double click on it , it does play the song , but when you double click
> the next track it just replaces it with the one it WAs playing and
> does not create a playlist so that you could scroll back to the
> begining and play the whole list from start to finish

Fortunately yes. As that is the default action. But you can change this
under "registered file types". And you can change the default action
from "Play" to "Add to Windows Media Player List" when you left double
click on a media file.

The only problem is, they moved "registered file types" from where it
was under Windows XP. It is now reported to be:

1. Click Start. Open Control Panel, click Control Panel Home in
Windows Vista, and click Programs.
2. Click Default Programs, and click Associate a file type or
protocol with a program.
3. On this screen, the registered file types are displayed

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd560745%28WS.10%29.aspx

It is supposed to be here. But I can't find it. Can anybody?

--
Bill
Gateway MX6124 ('06 era) - Windows XP SP2

From: BillW50 on
In news:hc2418$8bu$1(a)news.eternal-september.org,
BillW50 typed on Sun, 25 Oct 2009 13:05:27 -0500:
> The only problem is, they moved "registered file types" from where it
> was under Windows XP. It is now reported to be:
>
> 1. Click Start. Open Control Panel, click Control Panel Home in
> Windows Vista, and click Programs.
> 2. Click Default Programs, and click Associate a file type or
> protocol with a program.
> 3. On this screen, the registered file types are displayed
>
> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd560745%28WS.10%29.aspx
>
> It is supposed to be here. But I can't find it. Can anybody?

Found what I was looking for under:

Control Panel
Default Programs
Associate a file type or protocol with a program

Although I can't find where it allows you to assign an action like
Windows XP allows you to do.

From: BillW50 on
In news:hc25cf$ka5$1(a)news.eternal-september.org,
BillW50 typed on Sun, 25 Oct 2009 13:28:29 -0500:
> In news:hc2418$8bu$1(a)news.eternal-september.org,
> BillW50 typed on Sun, 25 Oct 2009 13:05:27 -0500:
>> The only problem is, they moved "registered file types" from where it
>> was under Windows XP. It is now reported to be:
>>
>> 1. Click Start. Open Control Panel, click Control Panel Home in
>> Windows Vista, and click Programs.
>> 2. Click Default Programs, and click Associate a file type or
>> protocol with a program.
>> 3. On this screen, the registered file types are displayed
>>
>> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd560745%28WS.10%29.aspx
>>
>> It is supposed to be here. But I can't find it. Can anybody?
>
> Found what I was looking for under:
>
> Control Panel
> Default Programs
> Associate a file type or protocol with a program
>
> Although I can't find where it allows you to assign an action like
> Windows XP allows you to do.

Here is how it is done under Windows XP. We just have to figure out how
to do the same under Windows 7. It might require registry editing. :-(

Changing The Default Action For A File Type In Microsoft Windows XP

A file type's default action is the one that happens when you
double-click it or single-click it if you've set up Windows Explorer for
single-click starting. If you right-click a file in Windows Explorer,
the default action is shown in boldface on the shortcut menu. Most
generally, the default action for a document is to open it for editing
or display it in its parent application, so the application with which
it is associated. There are exceptions, however. The default action for
a .reg file, for example, is to merge the file's data with the registry.
To edit the .reg file, you need to choose a no default command (Edit)
from the shortcut menu. Otherwise, you can change the default action to
Edit.

To change a file type's default action, follow these steps:

1. In the Registered File Types list on the File Types tab, select the
file whose default action you want to change.

2. Click Advanced.

3. In the list of available actions, select the action you want to be
the default.

4. Click Set Default.

http://www.itechtalk.com/thread1940.html

From: Fixer on
On Sun, 25 Oct 2009 15:14:12 -0500, "BillW50" <BillW50(a)aol.kom> wrote:

>In news:hc25cf$ka5$1(a)news.eternal-september.org,
>BillW50 typed on Sun, 25 Oct 2009 13:28:29 -0500:
>> In news:hc2418$8bu$1(a)news.eternal-september.org,
>> BillW50 typed on Sun, 25 Oct 2009 13:05:27 -0500:
>>> The only problem is, they moved "registered file types" from where it
>>> was under Windows XP. It is now reported to be:
>>>
>>> 1. Click Start. Open Control Panel, click Control Panel Home in
>>> Windows Vista, and click Programs.
>>> 2. Click Default Programs, and click Associate a file type or
>>> protocol with a program.
>>> 3. On this screen, the registered file types are displayed
>>>
>>> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd560745%28WS.10%29.aspx
>>>
>>> It is supposed to be here. But I can't find it. Can anybody?
>>
>> Found what I was looking for under:
>>
>> Control Panel
>> Default Programs
>> Associate a file type or protocol with a program
>>
>> Although I can't find where it allows you to assign an action like
>> Windows XP allows you to do.
>
>Here is how it is done under Windows XP. We just have to figure out how
>to do the same under Windows 7. It might require registry editing. :-(
>
>Changing The Default Action For A File Type In Microsoft Windows XP
>
>A file type's default action is the one that happens when you
>double-click it or single-click it if you've set up Windows Explorer for
>single-click starting. If you right-click a file in Windows Explorer,
>the default action is shown in boldface on the shortcut menu. Most
>generally, the default action for a document is to open it for editing
>or display it in its parent application, so the application with which
>it is associated. There are exceptions, however. The default action for
>a .reg file, for example, is to merge the file's data with the registry.
>To edit the .reg file, you need to choose a no default command (Edit)
>from the shortcut menu. Otherwise, you can change the default action to
>Edit.
>
>To change a file type's default action, follow these steps:
>
>1. In the Registered File Types list on the File Types tab, select the
>file whose default action you want to change.
>
>2. Click Advanced.
>
>3. In the list of available actions, select the action you want to be
>the default.
>
>4. Click Set Default.
>
>http://www.itechtalk.com/thread1940.html

No need to go through all that palava, just right click on any mp3
file and then choose open with it then gives you the option to set as
default as it's always done since XP.
I will have a look at the default settings though for media player and
see if i can set to add to playlist
From: BillW50 on
In news:v6sae59a5269b0qr7uaru7ag0csflk01qh(a)4ax.com,
Fixer typed on Mon, 26 Oct 2009 09:51:55 +0000:
> On Sun, 25 Oct 2009 15:14:12 -0500, "BillW50" <BillW50(a)aol.kom> wrote:
>
>> In news:hc25cf$ka5$1(a)news.eternal-september.org,
>> BillW50 typed on Sun, 25 Oct 2009 13:28:29 -0500:
>>> In news:hc2418$8bu$1(a)news.eternal-september.org,
>>> BillW50 typed on Sun, 25 Oct 2009 13:05:27 -0500:

>>> Found what I was looking for under:
>>>
>>> Control Panel
>>> Default Programs
>>> Associate a file type or protocol with a program
>>>
>>> Although I can't find where it allows you to assign an action like
>>> Windows XP allows you to do.
>>
>> Here is how it is done under Windows XP. We just have to figure out
>> how to do the same under Windows 7. It might require registry
>> editing. :-(
>>
>> Changing The Default Action For A File Type In Microsoft Windows XP
>>
>> A file type's default action is the one that happens when you
>> double-click it or single-click it if you've set up Windows Explorer
>> for single-click starting. If you right-click a file in Windows
>> Explorer, the default action is shown in boldface on the shortcut
>> menu. Most generally, the default action for a document is to open
>> it for editing or display it in its parent application, so the
>> application with which it is associated. There are exceptions,
>> however. The default action for a .reg file, for example, is to
>> merge the file's data with the registry. To edit the .reg file, you
>> need to choose a no default command (Edit) from the shortcut menu.
>> Otherwise, you can change the default action to Edit.
>>
>> To change a file type's default action, follow these steps:
>>
>> 1. In the Registered File Types list on the File Types tab, select
>> the file whose default action you want to change.
>>
>> 2. Click Advanced.
>>
>> 3. In the list of available actions, select the action you want to be
>> the default.
>>
>> 4. Click Set Default.
>>
>> http://www.itechtalk.com/thread1940.html
>
> No need to go through all that palava, just right click on any mp3
> file and then choose open with it then gives you the option to set as
> default as it's always done since XP.
> I will have a look at the default settings though for media player and
> see if i can set to add to playlist

No, I am not talking about what application handles what file type(s). I
am talking about what an application should do with it by double
clicking. Under Windows XP and earlier, you can tell say Windows Media
Player (or some other player) to add to a playlist instead of just
playing the file when you double click for example. Although I haven't
figured out how to do the same under Vista/Windows 7. Although with
regedit, I am confident you can.