From: randyhyde@earthlink.net on

Betov wrote:

> > For example, you want to write a simple text filter program which
> > reads from stdin
>
> I have never heard of any "Standard In" in any actual OS.

Demonstrates your ignorance.

> > and copies any printable ASCII character (0x20-0x7e)
> > to stdout.
>
> I have never heard of any "Standard Out" in any actual OS.

Also demonstrates your ignorance.

> > When ever possible, I also use only standard IO in C programs, so
> > the program is OS independent and can be compiled with any C compiler
> > on any system (why do you think does an assembler need a GUI?).
>
> Feel free to believe in things that do not exist, if you
> like, but, to me, believing in something that does not exist
> is a mental disease.

You mean, like the "assembly rebirth?" :-)

> You deceive me, Herbert.

Turnabout is fair play, Rene.
Cheers,
Randy Hyde

From: wolfgang kern on

Hi John,

| randyhyde(a)earthlink.net wrote:

I'd forget as fast as possible what a weird old man try to sell
as the only truth.

[...]
| I am not sure what skill level I must reach to do this.

You don't need very high abstracted skills to read and understand
the win32.hlp.

But you might need some help (I also needed to become started with),
to get the main clue of how windoze-API shall be used.

Just ask away, all your question are welcome here.

__
wolfgang

From: Betov on
"JGCASEY" <jgkjcasey(a)yahoo.com.au> ýcrivait news:1125435178.212612.228710
@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

>> * Using the Tool (the Assembler Syntax, IDE, and such)
>>

>> * Assembly (Mnemonics, Declarations, and such)
>>

>> * Api (with introduction examples)
>

> That appears to cover it. For an absolute beginner
> you would have to cover binary numbers perhaps?

Not there... See [F1]/[Beginners' Steps]... and read
a bit of these "can't_do_without" Chapters...

>> When running these small Tutorials from RosAsm [Help]
>> Menu, you see 1) the Source of the Tutorial, 2) the
>> Dialog showing the Source to be Executed ([File] /
>> [Run], and 3) the Tutorial Dialog with the Informations
>> to be read.
>
> Do you mean those funny little pop up window thingies
> IVTOOOBeginner_1?

Yes. Believe it or not, they represent a _LOT_ of
work...

:)

> It would be nice to be able to
> print them out. I do like hardcopy. From your IDE
> Help menu I chose IVTOOOBeginner_1.exe to be greeted
> with a source file I couldn't read. Nothing like the
> DOS code? Except for the occasional move eax &FALSE.
> I assume & means address?

You seem to write more questions, than you read the
answers, don't you?

:)))

This is what you should have seen right in front of
your nose, hafter having clicked upon [Assembly],
in the Tutorial Dialog where this _Win32 Equate_
Notation is explained in the first lines...

???... or did not you even depress [F6] ???...

> Perhaps DOS is for dummies so I found it easy to
> learn from a couple of assembler books? A low
> level OS for a low level brain :)

I have written Megas of Source both for DOS and for
Win32: Win32 Asm is _WAY_ easier.

> I have just been looking at your RosAsm. I didn't
> realise you had a Wizard there to create a form
> template. I assume you than just add in code like
> you do for VB? Indeed you seem to have a lot of
> useful programming aids but I am not sure how i
> would use them.

From RosAsm, you load any File (take Base3.exe...),
and you Run the Wizard from the Menu. After Edition,
when you leave the Wizard, it pastes automatically
the Edited _Source_ into your actual Source, at the
Position of your Cursor. Then you just call for it,
from where-ever you'd like...

> There are issues like, you have the means to load
> resources but I am not sure how you integrate this
> into a program. Things like an image, for example,
> in DOS the program would load it as a file into
> some allocated memory location. I would have my
> own display routines.

When you edit (create) or load a Resource, with RosAsm,
you just have to depress [F5] for having it compiled
into your PE.

Then, you execute it, from your code, by calling for
the appropriated Api, which depends on the Resource
Type... which is explained, in detail, in almost all
and any Win32 Tutorials and Demos sets...

> To test a tutorial I guess you need to sit a
> complete beginner down and see where/if they
> are not sure what to do next or cannot follow
> the explanation.
>
> Thank you for your efforts in trying to work out
> my issues. I am not sure what to do about them.

I would suggest that you ask a bit less questions
at ALA, and that you read a bit more of Tutorials,
Demos and Documentations, and then, that you try to
do something not too complex, for a first hand.

:))

Juts clicking on "IVTOOOBeginner_1", and not even
reading the first lines cannot help a lot, and i
cannot read them for you (i and James had enough
work at writing them...).

;)

Betov.

< http://rosasm.org >

From: Betov on
"f0dder" <f0dder_nospam(a)flork.dk.invalid> ýcrivait news:4314c3ae$0$177
$edfadb0f(a)dtext01.news.tele.dk:

>> I have never heard of any "Standard Out" in any actual OS.
>
> GetStdHandle(Parameters: nStdHandle)

Don't joke me, please. I am serious when saying
that there is no room, in a modern OS, for any
"Standard" thingie.

Betov.

< http://rosasm.org >

From: Alex McDonald on

Betov wrote:
> "f0dder" <f0dder_nospam(a)flork.dk.invalid> écrivait news:4314c3ae$0$177
> $edfadb0f(a)dtext01.news.tele.dk:
>
> >> I have never heard of any "Standard Out" in any actual OS.
> >
> > GetStdHandle(Parameters: nStdHandle)
>
> Don't joke me, please. I am serious when saying
> that there is no room, in a modern OS, for any
> "Standard" thingie.
>

> Betov.
>
> < http://rosasm.org >

Are you being serious here? Or is _this_ meant as a joke?

--
Regards
Alex McDonald