From: Peter on
"bugbear" <bugbear(a)trim_papermule.co.uk_trim> wrote in message
> Outing Trolls is FUN! wrote:
>> On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 12:59:32 +0100, Martin Brown
>> <|||newspam|||@nezumi.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> For my money the higher resolution image using higher compression will
>>> almost always beat the lower resolution less compressed image. There can
>>> be exceptions and unless you are absolutely certain you will never need
>>> the extra pixels or you are running out of media space there is little
>>> or no advantage in decreasing image size in the camera.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Martin Brown
>>
>> Showing how little you know.
>>
>> If using higher ISO's with more noise, it can be advantageous to use
>> in-camera downsampling. As this will average-out the noise from the RAW
>> sensor data.
>
> It would be more "advantageous" to retain the original data
> and use a superior noise reduction algorithm later.
>
> You can look up noise reduction algorithms on your own time
> if you think averaging is a good one.

the only reason to answer it, is when, as above, it is spreading
misinformation. You are correct. It is not stating that most NR, including
averaging, works on a principle of blurring. Therefore details will be lost.

--
Peter

From: ray on
On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 01:25:37 -0700, bobwilliams wrote:

> Let's assume I have a 10MP camera
> My sensor is say, 3650 X 2740 pixels. But say I want to create an image
> at 1825 x 1370 pixels. How does the camera actually reduce the 5.0MPs to
> 2.5MPs Does it choose groups of 4 pixels and somehow average them out to
> groups of 1 pixel each?
> How does this process differ from compressing the 10MP image by a factor
> of 4.
> I know that in one case the image SIZE is reduced (as well as the file
> size) whereas in the other case, the image SIZE remains the same but the
> file size is reduced.
> How exactly does each process affect the appearance of say an 8x10
> print. Bob Williams

I would imagine you are talking about JPEG compression here. Suggest you
experiment a little with your favourite photo manipulation software.
You'll find that most images can be very highly compressed without any
noticeable degredation. The same is not true for dropping resolution.
From: David J Taylor on
"Martin Brown" <|||newspam|||@nezumi.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
[]
> For my money the higher resolution image using higher compression will
> almost always beat the lower resolution less compressed image. There can
> be exceptions and unless you are absolutely certain you will never need
> the extra pixels or you are running out of media space there is little
> or no advantage in decreasing image size in the camera.
>
> Regards,
> Martin Brown

That reflects my own findings, Martin

Cheers,
David

From: David J Taylor on
"Tim Conway" <tconway_113(a)comcast.net> wrote in message
[]
> And you don't have to be so damn rude.

Better to kill-file it, not repeat it's lies, and not to feed it.

From: Ryan McGinnis on