From: bobwilliams on
Let's assume I have a 10MP camera
My sensor is say, 3650 X 2740 pixels.
But say I want to create an image at 1825 x 1370 pixels.
How does the camera actually reduce the 5.0MPs to 2.5MPs
Does it choose groups of 4 pixels and somehow average them out to groups
of 1 pixel each?
How does this process differ from compressing the 10MP image by a factor
of 4.
I know that in one case the image SIZE is reduced (as well as the file
size) whereas in the other case, the image SIZE remains the same but the
file size is reduced.
How exactly does each process affect the appearance of say an 8x10 print.
Bob Williams

From: bobwilliams on
bobwilliams wrote:
> Let's assume I have a 10MP camera
> My sensor is say, 3650 X 2740 pixels.
> But say I want to create an image at 1825 x 1370 pixels.
> How does the camera actually reduce the 5.0MPs to 2.5MPs
> Does it choose groups of 4 pixels and somehow average them out to groups
> of 1 pixel each?
> How does this process differ from compressing the 10MP image by a factor
> of 4.
> I know that in one case the image SIZE is reduced (as well as the file
> size) whereas in the other case, the image SIZE remains the same but the
> file size is reduced.
> How exactly does each process affect the appearance of say an 8x10 print.
> Bob Williams

OOPS!
I meant to say, How does the camera actually reduce the 10MPs to 2.5MPs?
Bob
From: Ofnuts on
On 30/07/2010 10:36, bobwilliams wrote:
> bobwilliams wrote:
>> Let's assume I have a 10MP camera
>> My sensor is say, 3650 X 2740 pixels.
>> But say I want to create an image at 1825 x 1370 pixels.
>> How does the camera actually reduce the 5.0MPs to 2.5MPs
>> Does it choose groups of 4 pixels and somehow average them out to
>> groups of 1 pixel each?
>> How does this process differ from compressing the 10MP image by a
>> factor of 4.
>> I know that in one case the image SIZE is reduced (as well as the file
>> size) whereas in the other case, the image SIZE remains the same but
>> the file size is reduced.
>> How exactly does each process affect the appearance of say an 8x10 print.
>> Bob Williams
>>
> OOPS!
> I meant to say, How does the camera actually reduce the 10MPs to 2.5MPs?
> Bob

When using a smaller pixel count, what a given camera does exactly is
hardly documented. Most processing would be built around these
algorithms (in decreasing order or quality and computing power needs):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lanczos_resampling
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicubic_interpolation
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bilinear_interpolation
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nearest-neighbor_interpolation

PC software normally uses the first two. Some pre-blurring, and
post-sharpening can be used. This would also be combined with the
demosaicing algorithm.

--
Bertrand
From: Neil on
On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 01:25:37 -0700, bobwilliams wrote:

> Let's assume I have a 10MP camera
> My sensor is say, 3650 X 2740 pixels. But say I want to create an image
> at 1825 x 1370 pixels. How does the camera actually reduce the 5.0MPs to
> 2.5MPs Does it choose groups of 4 pixels and somehow average them out to
> groups of 1 pixel each?
> How does this process differ from compressing the 10MP image by a factor
> of 4.
> I know that in one case the image SIZE is reduced (as well as the file
> size) whereas in the other case, the image SIZE remains the same but the
> file size is reduced.
> How exactly does each process affect the appearance of say an 8x10
> print. Bob WilliamsÕÅ?€(¹

Why not try it.

You would then know that whatever results you get are real and not
guessed at by someone else.

--
Neil - reverse 'ra' and delete 'l'.
From: Martin Brown on
On 30/07/2010 09:25, bobwilliams wrote:
> Let's assume I have a 10MP camera
> My sensor is say, 3650 X 2740 pixels.
> But say I want to create an image at 1825 x 1370 pixels.
> How does the camera actually reduce the 5.0MPs to 2.5MPs
> Does it choose groups of 4 pixels and somehow average them out to groups
> of 1 pixel each?

It does (or rather should do) something a little bit more sophisticated
than a simple average. It has to low pass filter the image to downsample
and avoid producing Moire fringe aliasing artefacts.

> How does this process differ from compressing the 10MP image by a factor
> of 4.

Critically the top half of the high frequency components present in the
orginal image are lost forever when you downsample to a half size one.
The information content and size is reduced accordingly.

> I know that in one case the image SIZE is reduced (as well as the file
> size) whereas in the other case, the image SIZE remains the same but the
> file size is reduced.
> How exactly does each process affect the appearance of say an 8x10 print.
> Bob Williams

The finest visible detail in the 10Mpixel image will be about 1/300"
across whereas in the 2.5Mpixel image it will be 1/150".

For my money the higher resolution image using higher compression will
almost always beat the lower resolution less compressed image. There can
be exceptions and unless you are absolutely certain you will never need
the extra pixels or you are running out of media space there is little
or no advantage in decreasing image size in the camera.

Regards,
Martin Brown