From: Jure Sah on
Hello,

One of our users has reported the issue that their Inbox folder has
become renamed to "Image001.jpg". We confirmed this. I have found one
other tech support person reporting the same problem, with explanation
how it happened.

In the spirit of keeping our data safe, I would like to know WHY and
HOW this happens. The user obviously cannot accidentially do this
himself. We use a NOD32 antivirus (integrates into Outlook with a
plugin) and Blackberry software.

Any information would be helpful.

LP,
Jure
From: Karl Timmermans on
Part1: "We confirmed this .....one other tech support person......
with explanation how it happened."

Part2: "I would like to know WHY and HOW this happens"

Part3: "...use a NOD32 antivirus ....... and Blackberry software."

Based on your post - you already know "how" it happens - details
that perhaps would have been nice to have shared. If the "how" is
known then the "why" would stem from the "how" details and if
the "how" involves 3rd party software - perhaps the question
would be best posed to the vendors of the software involved.

Since Outlook by itself does not change default folder names and as
you correctly indicate - user can also not change those folder names,
then logically by extension, the "why" part of the answer would
come from the source(s) of the problem.

Karl
Karl Timmermans - The Claxton Group
ContactGenie - QuickPort/DataPort/Exporter/Toolkit/Duplicate Contact Mgr
"Contact import/export/data management tools for Outlook '2000/2010"
http://www.contactgenie.com

From: Jure Sah on
Typo. There is a "no" missing in the sentence.

I don't have an answer.

Despite the extensions, outlook caused it because there are no
companies in the world as crappy as Microsoft. Any properly programmed
software would prevent such broken functionality.

Anyway, I need a reason.

From: Orland, Kathleen on
You jump to conclusions about Outlook before anyone has a chance to
troubleshoot. If you install software that integrates with Outlook, you can
no longer expect it to work as designed. There's an alteration in that case.

What happens if you start Outlook in safe mode? I can't tell you exactly how
to do that because you did not include your version of Outlook or even your
O/S.

XP and older:

Start > Run > outlook.exe /safe
(note the space between outlook.exe and /safe)

Vista and W7:

Start > Start Search> outlook.exe /safe
(same space)

Also, what happens if you delete the following *while* Outlook is closed:

outcmd.dat
extend.dat
frmcache.dat
views.dat

Reopen Outlook and see if the issue has resolved.

Outlook does not require AV integration since the real time scanner will
catch whatever it's updated for. Many 3rd party applications that integrate
with Outlook can cause problems.

--

Kathleen Orland

From: Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook] on
"Jure Sah" <dustwolfy(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

> Typo. There is a "no" missing in the sentence.
>
> I don't have an answer.
>
> Despite the extensions, outlook caused it because there are no
> companies in the world as crappy as Microsoft. Any properly programmed
> software would prevent such broken functionality.

Since we can't see your PC and we don't know what's on the PC, there's no good
way to determine the "why". Outlook didn't cause it. Something else did,
like a user action.

The first thing I'd do, however, is uninstall NOD32 and reinstall without the
mail scanning feature. It's never necessary to integrate an AV program with
Outlook and many reasons why you shouldn't.

The next thing I'd do is start Outlook once with the /resetfoldernames command
switch. Press WinKey+R. Enter "outlook.exe /resetfoldernames" (including the
space but without the quotes) in the Open field, then press Enter.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]