From: Jonathan on
1. Our project has a targetted completion of June 30, 2010.
2. For visual purposes, I created a milestone 'Project complete - target
June 30, 2010' which has a deadline of June 30 and a 'Must Finish On' June 30
constraint (knowing that this is an inflexible constraint) so that I can
visualize the milestone and deadline on the same June 30 date.
3. How do I have indicators appear against tasks that end beyond the
targeted project end date?

Thanks
From: Jan De Messemaeker on
Hi,

Link the task to the projected end and they will show negative slack (whihc,
through a simple formula in a custom field, turn into graphicl indicators)

--
Jan De Messemaeker
Microsoft Project Most Valuable Professional

From: Jonathan on
To clarify: I want to have each task that finishes or might finish beyond the
targetted June 30 project deadline, identified by an indicator in the
Indicator column. If I understand you correctly, are saying that I need to
link every one of the currently unfinished tasks to the the 'Project complete
- target June 30, 2010' deadline 'task'?

Also - if you're feeling in a generous mood (!), do you think you might
perhaps share with me the formula I need to enter in the customized field?

Thanks and kind regards!

From: Trevor Rabey on
Jan is always very generous but you can easily do this yourself.
After you link the task to the nailed-down finish milestone you will want to
see if the task has negative slack.
Switch to the Schedule Table.
Use Tools, Customize Fields to use a spare field, Rename it, make the
formula, and set up the graphics.
The formula that you put in a spare (flag) field will be something like
IIF([Total Slack] < 0,yes,no).
Then set up the graphical indicators.

You can't use the Indicators column because it is reserved for whatever MSP
uses it for.

BTW, putting hard date constraints and deadlines on milestones which have
predecessors which end up with negative slack is a nightmarish contradiction
of all best practice critical path modeling, and will cause a lot of
frustration and interpretation difficulties.
I can explain how to do it but I don't recommend it.
Guys, bit of support here?
--
Trevor Rabey
0407213955

From: Jan De Messemaeker on
Hi Trevor,

Theory of constraints is by no means a nightmarish project management
method.
And according to several users it leads to success rather than frustration.
Fixed deadlines are an every day's reality and IMHO more important that
original estimations or the plan at hand.

Greetings,