From: ~BD~ on
Some of the latest security updates for Windows XP will not be installed
on machines infected with a rootkit virus.

A rootkit is sneaky malware that buries itself deep inside the Windows
operating system to avoid detection.

Microsoft said it had taken the action because similar updates issued in
February made machines infected with the Alureon rootkit crash
endlessly.

The latest updates can spot if a system is compromised by the Alureon
rootkit and halt installation.

From: MEB on
On 04/16/2010 04:11 PM, ~BD~ wrote:
> Some of the latest security updates for Windows XP will not be installed
> on machines infected with a rootkit virus.
>
> A rootkit is sneaky malware that buries itself deep inside the Windows
> operating system to avoid detection.
>
> Microsoft said it had taken the action because similar updates issued in
> February made machines infected with the Alureon rootkit crash
> endlessly.
>
> The latest updates can spot if a system is compromised by the Alureon
> rootkit and halt installation.
>
> said it had taken the action because similar updates issued in February
> made machines infected with the Alureon rootkit crash endlessly.
>
> The latest updates can spot if a system is compromised by the Alureon
> rootkit and halt installation.

I'm curious to know:

1. Whether you believe it is more viable to leave an infected system
un-patched with a notification of WHY the failure occurred; verses,

2. Patching an infected system giving a false sense of security AND
leaving the system infected, AND the resultant security compromised
within the infected computer - i.e., a non-existent security/fix?

It would appear that unless one cleans the infection(s) FIRST, it is
rather ignorant to install supposed security and other fixes/patches
when they would be useless anyway [having already been compromised by
the infection(s)].

We CAN'T expect an auto-cleanup/removal of the infections PRIOR to
patching as that MAY destroy personal data or other untoward activities.

So what EXACTLY would you suggest be done verses this purported
activity of not patching infected systems?

--
MEB
http://peoplescounsel.org/ref/windows-main.htm
From: "FromTheRafters" erratic on
"~BD~" <BoaterDaveNoSpam(a)Hotmail.co.uk> wrote in message
> Some of the latest security updates for Windows XP will not be
> installed
> on machines infected with a rootkit virus.

Is that like a trojan rootkit virus? Non-replicating viruses?

....only in biology will you find such beasts.

> A rootkit is sneaky malware that buries itself deep inside the Windows
> operating system to avoid detection.

My Avira "nag screen" says if I upgrade, I can be protected against
"rotkits".

(who says security programs can't be entertaining?)

> Microsoft said it had taken the action because similar updates issued
> in
> February made machines infected with the Alureon rootkit crash
> endlessly.

It was kinda funny that people blamed MS for something they should have
blamed themselves for.

[...]

From: David H. Lipman on
From: "~BD~" <BoaterDaveNoSpam(a)Hotmail.co.uk>

| Some of the latest security updates for Windows XP will not be installed
| on machines infected with a rootkit virus.

Either it is a trojan or it is a virus. There is no "rootkit virus" like there is no Ford
Chrysler.

--
Dave

From: ~BD~ on
MEB wrote:
>> On 04/16/2010 04:11 PM, ~BD~ wrote:
>> So what EXACTLY would you suggest be done verses this purported
>> activity of not patching infected systems?

I'd like to see infected systems disabled so that they can no longer
connect to the Internet!

A 'Warning' + advice on what to do to correct matters would be a welcome
extra!

--
Dave

 |  Next  |  Last