From: cisz on
We recently got a virus that tries to look like it's from microsoft. It
brings up a window that looks exactly like the "security center" in the
control panel (win xp). It then brings up another window that looks like
it's from microsoft and seems to be a program called "xp smart security". It
acts like it's running a scan and then says you're infected. It doesn't
allow any other programs to run.

We got this in spite of having a firewall and real time virus protection.

Fortunately, it only affected our limited access account.

I was able to get rid of it using a malware scanner, but it disconnected all
the programs from their files and now, whenever I try to run a program in
that account, a window comes up asking which program or file to use to run
the program.

From: "FromTheRafters" erratic on
What malware scanner did you use to 'get rid of it'?

From: David H. Lipman on
From: "cisz" <cisz.x(a)yahoo.com>

| We recently got a virus that tries to look like it's from microsoft. It
| brings up a window that looks exactly like the "security center" in the
| control panel (win xp). It then brings up another window that looks like
| it's from microsoft and seems to be a program called "xp smart security". It
| acts like it's running a scan and then says you're infected. It doesn't
| allow any other programs to run.

| We got this in spite of having a firewall and real time virus protection.

| Fortunately, it only affected our limited access account.

| I was able to get rid of it using a malware scanner, but it disconnected all
| the programs from their files and now, whenever I try to run a program in
| that account, a window comes up asking which program or file to use to run
| the program.

It wasn't a "virus" but was malware.

Download,

rename; mbam-setup.exe to cisz.com
and then run cisz.com to install Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware.

Go to;
C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
COPY; mbam.exe to mbam.com

update and then execute a quick scan.

--
Dave

From: cisz on

> From: "cisz" <cisz.x(a)yahoo.com>
>
> | We recently got a virus that tries to look like it's from microsoft. It
> | brings up a window that looks exactly like the "security center" in the
> | control panel (win xp). It then brings up another window that looks like
> | it's from microsoft and seems to be a program called "xp smart
> security". It
> | acts like it's running a scan and then says you're infected. It doesn't
> | allow any other programs to run.
>
> | We got this in spite of having a firewall and real time virus
> protection.
>
> | Fortunately, it only affected our limited access account.
>
> | I was able to get rid of it using a malware scanner, but it disconnected
> all
> | the programs from their files and now, whenever I try to run a program
> in
> | that account, a window comes up asking which program or file to use to
> run
> | the program.
>

> It wasn't a "virus" but was malware.
>
> Download,
> http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam/program/mbam-setup.exe
>
> rename; mbam-setup.exe to cisz.com
> and then run cisz.com to install Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware.
>
> Go to;
> C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
> COPY; mbam.exe to mbam.com
>
> update and then execute a quick scan.
>

> --
> Dave
> Multi-AV - http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp
Thanks.

It was malwarebytes that I used to get rid of the problem. I had renamed
mbam-setup.exe
to mb.exe and installed and then scanned.

From: David Kaye on
"cisz" <cisz.x(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

>I was able to get rid of it using a malware scanner, but it disconnected all
>the programs from their files and now, whenever I try to run a program in
>that account, a window comes up asking which program or file to use to run
>the program.

Go to the file types tab on your folder options applet and enter a new
filetype called EXE. On the Advanced button associate it with "Application",
even though it says it's already associated with Application. Save your work.
Go to your favorite app and it should load now.

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Prev: Trojan.dropper
Next: Infected XP owners left unpatched