From: John on
I have Windows XP SP3. I recently noticed that when switching on my PC the
Microsoft Security Essentials program is not always switched on and I have
to do this manually. I have done a comprehensive security check that
however did not detect any problems.
I have also done the same with Spyhunter and this detected a
"Trojan.Dropper" in a file located as C:\
Windows\$hf_mig$\kb890859\sp2QFE\ntoskrnl.exe and was surprised to note
that this seems to refer to a Microsoft update. It does however not show up
in my Add and Remove programs. Although there are references to this file
in Google I was unable to find how to solve this problem for my SP3
software. In addition neither am I certain that this is also the cause of
my MSE switching off.
Could anyone please advise what action I should take to solve this problem.

From: David H. Lipman on
From: "John" <John(a)nospam>

| I have Windows XP SP3. I recently noticed that when switching on my PC the
| Microsoft Security Essentials program is not always switched on and I have
| to do this manually. I have done a comprehensive security check that
| however did not detect any problems.
| I have also done the same with Spyhunter and this detected a
| "Trojan.Dropper" in a file located as C:\
| Windows\$hf_mig$\kb890859\sp2QFE\ntoskrnl.exe and was surprised to note
| that this seems to refer to a Microsoft update. It does however not show up
| in my Add and Remove programs. Although there are references to this file
| in Google I was unable to find how to solve this problem for my SP3
| software. In addition neither am I certain that this is also the cause of
| my MSE switching off.
| Could anyone please advise what action I should take to solve this problem.

Don't use Enigma SpyHunter. It and its company have "issues". In this case a False
Positive.

If you submit ntoskrnl.exe to Virus Total I am sure it will show this to be a False
Positive.

--
Dave

From: kristain via WindowsKB.com on
If the ntoskrnl.exe file is corrupt or missing this can also generate the
error. To restore this file follow the below steps.

1. Insert the Microsoft Windows XP CD. Note: If you have a recovery CD or
a restore CD and not a Microsoft Windows XP CD it is likely the below steps
will not resolve your issue.
2. Reboot the computer, as the computer is starting you should see a
message to press any key to boot from the CD. When you see this message press
any key.
3. In the Microsoft Windows XP setup menu press the R key to enter the
recovery console.
4. Select the operating system you wish to fix, and then enter the
administrator password.
5. Type expand d:\i386\ntoskrnl.ex_ c:\windows\system32
6. You will then be prompted if you wish to overwrite the file type Y and
press enter to overwrite the file.
7. Type exit to reboot the computer.