From: MEB on
On 04/15/2010 03:11 AM, cisz wrote:
> We recently got a virus that tries to look like it's from microsoft. It
> brings up a window that looks exactly like the "security center" in the
> control panel (win xp). It then brings up another window that looks like
> it's from microsoft and seems to be a program called "xp smart security". It
> acts like it's running a scan and then says you're infected. It doesn't
> allow any other programs to run.
>
> We got this in spite of having a firewall and real time virus protection.
>
> Fortunately, it only affected our limited access account.
>
> I was able to get rid of it using a malware scanner, but it disconnected all
> the programs from their files and now, whenever I try to run a program in
> that account, a window comes up asking which program or file to use to run
> the program.

Note 1: it would be better to use exported entries from the particular
system IF you have a backup or image. OR you may find the defaults
exportable from admin account as you appear to indicate this was a
"user" account.

Note 2: Any application specific entries beyond the defaults will
likely no longer exist, hence they may need reinstalled [depends upon
how thorough the hack was].

You MAY have a block of *.reg files, see the link for a "workaround".

--
MEB
http://peoplescounsel.org/ref/windows-main.htm
From: cisz on

"David Kaye" <sfdavidkaye2(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
> "cisz" <cisz.x(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>I was able to get rid of it using a malware scanner, but it disconnected
>>all
>>the programs from their files and now, whenever I try to run a program in
>>that account, a window comes up asking which program or file to use to run
>>the program.
>
> Go to the file types tab on your folder options applet and enter a new
> filetype called EXE. On the Advanced button associate it with
> "Application",
> even though it says it's already associated with Application. Save your
> work.
> Go to your favorite app and it should load now.

The malware problem is happening in a limited user account. I was able to
add the EXE filetype and
associate it with "Application" in the admin account but for some reason, it
doesn't seem to
show up when I restart windows explorer. The "Apply" button was greyed-out
so I don't
know if it got saved.

From: cisz on

> "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:
>
>>rename; mbam-setup.exe to cisz.com
>>and then run cisz.com to install Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware.
>
> This doesn't always work. Some malware tracks some other part of the
> program,
> maybe the filesize or the internal name or the DLLs being called or
> something.

I did have a problem. The 1st time I ran it, it didn't find anything. I
hadn't saved the log file at 1st,
thinking I could get it later. But when I tried to open mbam later, I got an
error message. So, I reinstalled
it and ran it again. This time it found the malware.

From: Andy Medina on
"cisz" <cisz.x(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message

> The malware problem is happening in a limited user account. I was
> able to add the EXE filetype and
> associate it with "Application" in the admin account but for some
> reason, it doesn't seem to
> show up when I restart windows explorer. The "Apply" button was
> greyed-out so I don't
> know if it got saved.

Try the following batch file to re-associate files to the XP defaults.
You'll need to use "run as administrator" if you run it from the
limited user account.

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_easy_file.htm

"REM Restore Default File Associations for Windows XP.
REM Copyright 2003 - Doug Knox
REM This BAT file restores the Default associations that XP ships with
REM It does not restore associations created by 3rd party
applications."

From: "FromTheRafters" erratic on
"Andy Medina" <gmedina(a)email.arizona.edu> wrote in message
> "cisz" <cisz.x(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>> The malware problem is happening in a limited user account. I was
>> able to add the EXE filetype and
>> associate it with "Application" in the admin account but for some
>> reason, it doesn't seem to
>> show up when I restart windows explorer. The "Apply" button was
>> greyed-out so I don't
>> know if it got saved.
>
> Try the following batch file to re-associate files to the XP defaults.
> You'll need to use "run as administrator" if you run it from the
> limited user account.
>
> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_easy_file.htm
>
> "REM Restore Default File Associations for Windows XP.
> REM Copyright 2003 - Doug Knox
> REM This BAT file restores the Default associations that XP ships with
> REM It does not restore associations created by 3rd party
> applications."

Some have recommended this reg file as a more surgical approach.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.exe]
[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\secfile]
[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\secfile]
[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe\shell\open\command]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\open\command]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe]
@="exefile"
"Content Type"="application/x-msdownload"

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Prev: Trojan.dropper
Next: Infected XP owners left unpatched