From: David Kaye on
"David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:

>rename; mbam-setup.exe to cisz.com
>and then run cisz.com to install Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware.

This doesn't always work. Some malware tracks some other part of the program,
maybe the filesize or the internal name or the DLLs being called or something.

From: David H. Lipman on
From: "David Kaye" <sfdavidkaye2(a)yahoo.com>

| "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:

>>rename; mbam-setup.exe to cisz.com
>>and then run cisz.com to install Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware.

| This doesn't always work. Some malware tracks some other part of the program,
| maybe the filesize or the internal name or the DLLs being called or something.

No, it is usually the name (explicit) or just EXE files.

--
Dave

From: David Kaye on
"David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:

>No, it is usually the name (explicit) or just EXE files.

But not always. Believe me; I've had lots of malware kill MBAM regardless of
what I called it. Remember that I've been doing this stuff fulltime since
2002.

Some of the particularly bad infection would kill everything but a very old
copy of SpySweeper and PrcView.exe, again, regardless of what I named the
executable.

From: David H. Lipman on
From: "David Kaye" <sfdavidkaye2(a)yahoo.com>

| "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:

>>No, it is usually the name (explicit) or just EXE files.

| But not always. Believe me; I've had lots of malware kill MBAM regardless of
| what I called it. Remember that I've been doing this stuff fulltime since
| 2002.

| Some of the particularly bad infection would kill everything but a very old
| copy of SpySweeper and PrcView.exe, again, regardless of what I named the
| executable.

Certainly not size. That's a stupid approach. Different versions will have different
sized executables. I have examined *numereous* malicious binaries. They hard code the
name of EXE files into their code. Everything from; \drivers\vmmouse.sys, SbieDll.dll,
ollydbg.exe, WIRESHARK.EXE--> PROCEXP.EXE --> HIJACKTHIS.EXE . I have also see the codes
the thwart analysis, such as "IsDebuggerPresent", "createtoolhelp32snapshot" and ...
This program cannot be run in VMware Workstation. Please close VMware Workstation
first.
This program cannot be run in Threat Expert. Please close Threat Expert first.
This program cannot be run in VirtualBox. Please close VirtualBox first.
This program cannot be run in VirtualPC. Please close VirtualPC first.
This program cannot be run in CWSandbox. Please close CWSandbox first.
This program cannot be run in Sandboxie. Please close Sandboxie first.
This program cannot be run in JoeBox. Please close JoeBox first.
This program cannot be run in Anubis. Please close Anubis first.

BTW: I've been dealing with malware for ~20 yrs. Ever since I had to remove the
Jerusalem.B virus from a Netware v2.11 network.

--
Dave

From: "FromTheRafters" erratic on
DHL is writing about *this* particular malware, and not just *some*
malware.

"David Kaye" <sfdavidkaye2(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
> "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:
>

>>No, it is usually the name (explicit) or just EXE files.
>
> But not always. Believe me; I've had lots of malware kill MBAM
> regardless of
> what I called it. Remember that I've been doing this stuff fulltime
> since
> 2002.
>
> Some of the particularly bad infection would kill everything but a
> very old
> copy of SpySweeper and PrcView.exe, again, regardless of what I named
> the
> executable.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4