From: Buffalo on

Robin Bignall wrote:
[snip]

>> That is why I recommended that he disable or uninstall his
>> anti-virus and anti-malware programs and install Avira AntiVir and
>> free MBAM and hopefully the free SAS. ( I don't think he ever said
>> that he tried them both)
>> If the above doesn't change things, then that would indicate a
>> different security program causing the problem.
>> Buffalo
>>
> Just to save you reading back in the thread, I have SAS Pro, which is
> not free, and MBAM, which is. I also run ActiveScan 2, which was
> recommended, together with Kaspersky, by AumHa. I don't intend to
> through the process of uninstalling Kaspersky.

OK, missed that point. If you disable Kaspersky and just use the free Avira
AntiVir and no message comes up, perhaps it is Kaspersky doing it.
Doesn't really seem like it's worth the trouble overall.
Buffalo
PS: If you ever find out what it is, please post back.

From: Robin Bignall on
On Thu, 10 Dec 2009 14:27:55 -0700, "Buffalo" <Eric(a)nada.com.invalid>
wrote:

>Robin Bignall wrote:
>[snip]
>>>
>>> That is why I recommended that he disable or uninstall his
>>> anti-virus and anti-malware programs and install Avira AntiVir and
>>> free MBAM and hopefully the free SAS. ( I don't think he ever said
>>> that he tried them both)
>>> If the above doesn't change things, then that would indicate a
>>> different security program causing the problem.
>>> Buffalo
>>>
>> Just to save you reading back in the thread, I have SAS Pro, which is
>> not free, and MBAM, which is. I also run ActiveScan 2, which was
>> recommended, together with Kaspersky, by AumHa. I don't intend to
>> through the process of uninstalling Kaspersky.
>
>OK, missed that point. If you disable Kaspersky and just use the free Avira
>AntiVir and no message comes up, perhaps it is Kaspersky doing it.
>Doesn't really seem like it's worth the trouble overall.
>Buffalo
>PS: If you ever find out what it is, please post back.

I certainly will.
--
Robin
(BrE)
From: Robin Bignall on
On Thu, 10 Dec 2009 13:25:44 -0800, ASCII <me(a)privacy.net> wrote:

>Robin Bignall wrote:
>
>Was looking for source of text within a file;
>
>Have you tried Agent Ransack,
>a free search engine that can look for embedded text?
>
>http://www.mythicsoft.com/agentransack/

I don't mind trying, but is there any reason to believe that Windows
search won't find embedded text?
--
Robin
(BrE)
From: Robin Bignall on
On Thu, 10 Dec 2009 22:13:51 +0000, Robin Bignall
<docrobin(a)ntlworld.com> wrote:

>On Thu, 10 Dec 2009 14:27:55 -0700, "Buffalo" <Eric(a)nada.com.invalid>
>wrote:
>

>>Robin Bignall wrote:
>>[snip]

>>> Just to save you reading back in the thread, I have SAS Pro, which is
>>> not free, and MBAM, which is. I also run ActiveScan 2, which was
>>> recommended, together with Kaspersky, by AumHa. I don't intend to
>>> through the process of uninstalling Kaspersky.
>>
>>OK, missed that point. If you disable Kaspersky and just use the free Avira
>>AntiVir and no message comes up, perhaps it is Kaspersky doing it.
>>Doesn't really seem like it's worth the trouble overall.
>>Buffalo
>>PS: If you ever find out what it is, please post back.
>>
>I certainly will.

I'm running Avira now.
--
Robin
(BrE)
From: Robin Bignall on
On Thu, 10 Dec 2009 22:41:55 +0000, Robin Bignall
<docrobin(a)ntlworld.com> wrote:

>On Thu, 10 Dec 2009 22:13:51 +0000, Robin Bignall
><docrobin(a)ntlworld.com> wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 10 Dec 2009 14:27:55 -0700, "Buffalo" <Eric(a)nada.com.invalid>
>>wrote:
>>

>>>Robin Bignall wrote:
>>>[snip]

>>>OK, missed that point. If you disable Kaspersky and just use the free Avira
>>>AntiVir and no message comes up, perhaps it is Kaspersky doing it.
>>>Doesn't really seem like it's worth the trouble overall.
>>>Buffalo
>>>PS: If you ever find out what it is, please post back.
>>>
>>I certainly will.
>
>I'm running Avira now.

And it found nothing.
--