From: Jim on
Martin S Taylor <mst(a)hRyEpMnOoVtEiTsHm.cIo.uSk> wrote:

> Jaimie Vandenbergh wrote
> >> I have an iP4500, which I think uses the same ink, and a set of five
> >> carts is about �45 for genuine Canon ones. PCW are known for ripping you
> >> off on consumables.
> >
> > I got my last set of Canon carts for my MP600 (same family) for about
> > �40 at Asda. And not �65 as they were in Purple World next door, or
> > �70 at Staples next door but one.
>
> Best place I've found is inkntoneruk who will beat any price. Their
> compatible cartridges are (only) okay, but very much cheaper than originals,
> though they still sell originals cheaper than anyone, I think.
>
> I endorse Andy's views on printer manufacturers. I have a Canon MP610, which
> is superb for my needs (no wifi, though), and Valentina was impressed enough
> to get one herself.

Thanks for that. Looks like in the event of my actually having to
replace the Canon, it'll be another Canon I get.

Jim
--
"Microsoft admitted its Vista operating system was a 'less good
product' in what IT experts have described as the most ambitious
From: Andy Hewitt on
Jim <jim(a)magrathea.plus.com> wrote:

> Andy Hewitt <thewildrover(a)me.com> wrote:
>
> > > So I toddle over to my local Comet (yes, I know, I know) and found that
> > > replacing all of the ink would cost north of �100.
> >
> > Do what?
>
> Each of the C,M,Y and small black carts were about �18. The large black
> was...I forget, but more than �18. I think it was �35.

Definitely a rip off:

<http://www.amazon.co.uk/Original-Cartridges-Canon-IP4200-MP500/dp/B000P
9BXWA/ref=sr_1_57?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1281338737&sr=1-57>

They're all under �10 on Amazon.

> > I have an iP4500, which I think uses the same ink, and a set of five
> > carts is about �45 for genuine Canon ones. PCW are known for ripping you
> > off on consumables.
>
> My local Comet used to be quite good in that respect - the C,M,Y carts
> and the small black cart tended to be about a tenner each, plus they
> quite frequently did '3 for the price of 2' offers. It's only recently
> that the carts have almost doubled in price. And, as I said, it's just
> bad luck that I needed replace all of them at once.

They still ripped you off.

> > > So. I've replaced the ink with some PCWorld own-brand ink (�40 in total)
> > > and I'll see how that goes, but what are good inkjet printers nowadays?
> > > Needs to be wireless and be capable of CD printing. Don't need
> > > multifunction but wouldn't turn it down either. Wireless-N would be
> > > nice, but I'll take G.
> >
> > I fitted a continuous ink system to mine, and that works out *very*
> > cheap to run - 5x 250ml of ink is about �30 (a cartridge holds 10-15ml),
> > and the kit was only �40 to begine with, and came with 100ml of each
> > colour, so already it's cheaper.
>
> I've never really investigated those. I may have to.

I got pone of these:

http://www.cheapprinterink.co.uk/

> > The print quality is good, but I'm not convinced about the overall
> > quality of the product myself, but if it lasts at least as long as just
> > one set of carts, it's a no brainer.
>
> Yep.
>
> > If you still need to replace, then the Canons are still good.
>
> I've had this printer for quite a number of years now. In fact, so far
> as inkjets are concerned it's probably the printer I've owned the
> longest. Still going strong but starting to show a few little signs of
> age, such as the CD printing tray needing a bit of a nudge. It also (and
> this makes no sense) seems to be taking much, much longer to print than
> it used to. The print job leaves the Mac in a timely fashion but the
> printer itself is doing one head pass every 20seconds or so (A4 picture
> printing). I'll try directly connecting via USB, see if I can rule out
> the wireless.

Hmm, I'm running my iP4500 through Airport Express (USB to wireless
hub), and that's as fast as I'd expect it to be (i.e. as if it was
plugged in directly)

> > IME, I found the following
> >
> > Epsons have very good print quality, and very cheap carts, but the heads
> > clog up far too quickly, so you use a lot of ink cleaning them. These
> > are good if you print photos all the time.
>
> That's what I found and is the main reason that I didn't buy Epson last
> time.

Yes, same here.

> > HP seem to have lost the plot as far as build quality goes, and their
> > software really sucks. The one I had was very disappointing for both
> > print quality and construction. The old lasers are still a good buy
> > though.
>
> HP were the other brand I might have considered but a wee voice in the
> back of my head was saying 'avoid'.

I've installed a few for some PC friends lately, and they are just
awful, at least on Windows anyway, the software takes *ages* to install,
and is very unreliable once it does get going. One was an all-in-one,
and you could either use the printer, or the scanner after a reboot, but
never both in the same session. Print quality was OK, but nothing
special on photos.

> > Lexmark are just rubbish, or at least the ones I've used have been. They
> > also have the most expensive carts. I believe these are also rebadged
> > for Dell.
>
> FWIW it's the same in the Windows world - Lexmark drivers can interfere
> with lots of things there as well.

It wasn't the drivers so much, as the actual quality of the thing, the
inkjet I had, had bits fall off each time I used it. I used some of
their lasers at work too, and was always under the counter removing
jammed paper.

--
Andy Hewitt
<http://web.me.com/andrewhewitt1/>
From: Peter Ceresole on
Andy Hewitt <thewildrover(a)me.com> wrote:

> > HP were the other brand I might have considered but a wee voice in the
> > back of my head was saying 'avoid'.
>
> I've installed a few for some PC friends lately, and they are just
> awful, at least on Windows anyway

Just a shout for HP; for several years now I've used a 1022, on four
Macs. Mono only, because that's what I need. It's quick, reasonably
priced, good quality. The HP installation software goes on rapidly
(bundled with 10.4, 10.5 and 10.6) and doesn't break anything.

I'm a fan.
--
Peter
From: Chris Ridd on
On 2010-08-09 09:02:38 +0100, Peter Ceresole said:

> Andy Hewitt <thewildrover(a)me.com> wrote:
>
>>> HP were the other brand I might have considered but a wee voice in the
>>> back of my head was saying 'avoid'.
>>
>> I've installed a few for some PC friends lately, and they are just
>> awful, at least on Windows anyway
>
> Just a shout for HP; for several years now I've used a 1022, on four
> Macs. Mono only, because that's what I need. It's quick, reasonably
> priced, good quality. The HP installation software goes on rapidly
> (bundled with 10.4, 10.5 and 10.6) and doesn't break anything.
>
> I'm a fan.

I think reinforces one of Jim's (?) points. HP printers *used* to be
good, but are much less so now.
--
Chris

From: Jim on
On 2010-08-09, Andy Hewitt <thewildrover(a)me.com> wrote:

>> Each of the C,M,Y and small black carts were about �18. The large black
>> was...I forget, but more than �18. I think it was �35.
>
> Definitely a rip off:

Yep. That's why I didn't buy from there.

><http://www.amazon.co.uk/Original-Cartridges-Canon-IP4200-MP500/dp/B000P
> 9BXWA/ref=sr_1_57?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1281338737&sr=1-57>
>
> They're all under �10 on Amazon.

For some reason I never even considered Amazon. Thanks for that.

>> > I have an iP4500, which I think uses the same ink, and a set of five
>> > carts is about �45 for genuine Canon ones. PCW are known for ripping you
>> > off on consumables.
>>
>> My local Comet used to be quite good in that respect - the C,M,Y carts
>> and the small black cart tended to be about a tenner each, plus they
>> quite frequently did '3 for the price of 2' offers. It's only recently
>> that the carts have almost doubled in price. And, as I said, it's just
>> bad luck that I needed replace all of them at once.
>
> They still ripped you off.

Not when they were a tenner and three-for-two.

>> > I fitted a continuous ink system to mine, and that works out *very*
>> > cheap to run - 5x 250ml of ink is about �30 (a cartridge holds 10-15ml),
>> > and the kit was only �40 to begine with, and came with 100ml of each
>> > colour, so already it's cheaper.
>>
>> I've never really investigated those. I may have to.
>
> I got pone of these:
>
> http://www.cheapprinterink.co.uk/

Thanks. I don't really do all that much printing as a rule, but it's
certainly worth thinking about.

> Hmm, I'm running my iP4500 through Airport Express (USB to wireless
> hub), and that's as fast as I'd expect it to be (i.e. as if it was
> plugged in directly)

I suspect it's a wireless issue at my end.

Jim
--
Twitter:@GreyAreaUK

"If you have enough book space, I don't want to talk to you."
Terry Pratchett