From: Jim on
My Canon iP5200 Wireless today told me that *all* of its ink needed
changing. Statistically it was bound to happen sooner or later.

So I toddle over to my local Comet (yes, I know, I know) and found that
replacing all of the ink would cost north of �100.

A new printer would cost less and come with ink.

So. I've replaced the ink with some PCWorld own-brand ink (�40 in total)
and I'll see how that goes, but what are good inkjet printers nowadays?
Needs to be wireless and be capable of CD printing. Don't need
multifunction but wouldn't turn it down either. Wireless-N would be
nice, but I'll take G.

Jim
--
"Microsoft admitted its Vista operating system was a 'less good
product' in what IT experts have described as the most ambitious
From: Andy Hewitt on
Jim <jim(a)magrathea.plus.com> wrote:

> My Canon iP5200 Wireless today told me that *all* of its ink needed
> changing. Statistically it was bound to happen sooner or later.
>
> So I toddle over to my local Comet (yes, I know, I know) and found that
> replacing all of the ink would cost north of �100.

Do what?

I have an iP4500, which I think uses the same ink, and a set of five
carts is about �45 for genuine Canon ones. PCW are known for ripping you
off on consumables.

> A new printer would cost less and come with ink.

At those prices, yes.

> So. I've replaced the ink with some PCWorld own-brand ink (�40 in total)
> and I'll see how that goes, but what are good inkjet printers nowadays?
> Needs to be wireless and be capable of CD printing. Don't need
> multifunction but wouldn't turn it down either. Wireless-N would be
> nice, but I'll take G.

I fitted a continuous ink system to mine, and that works out *very*
cheap to run - 5x 250ml of ink is about �30 (a cartridge holds 10-15ml),
and the kit was only �40 to begine with, and came with 100ml of each
colour, so already it's cheaper.

The print quality is good, but I'm not convinced about the overall
quality of the product myself, but if it lasts at least as long as just
one set of carts, it's a no brainer.

If you still need to replace, then the Canons are still good.

IME, I found the following

Epsons have very good print quality, and very cheap carts, but the heads
clog up far too quickly, so you use a lot of ink cleaning them. These
are good if you print photos all the time.

HP seem to have lost the plot as far as build quality goes, and their
software really sucks. The one I had was very disappointing for both
print quality and construction. The old lasers are still a good buy
though.

Lexmark are just rubbish, or at least the ones I've used have been. They
also have the most expensive carts. I believe these are also rebadged
for Dell.

--
Andy Hewitt
<http://web.me.com/andrewhewitt1/>
From: Jaimie Vandenbergh on
On Sun, 8 Aug 2010 16:07:35 +0100, thewildrover(a)me.com (Andy Hewitt)
wrote:
>Jim <jim(a)magrathea.plus.com> wrote:
>
>> My Canon iP5200 Wireless today told me that *all* of its ink needed
>> changing. Statistically it was bound to happen sooner or later.
>>
>> So I toddle over to my local Comet (yes, I know, I know) and found that
>> replacing all of the ink would cost north of �100.
>
>Do what?
>
>I have an iP4500, which I think uses the same ink, and a set of five
>carts is about �45 for genuine Canon ones. PCW are known for ripping you
>off on consumables.

I got my last set of Canon carts for my MP600 (same family) for about
�40 at Asda. And not �65 as they were in Purple World next door, or
�70 at Staples next door but one.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.
From: J. J. Lodder on
Jim <jim(a)magrathea.plus.com> wrote:

> My Canon iP5200 Wireless today told me that *all* of its ink needed
> changing. Statistically it was bound to happen sooner or later.
>
> So I toddle over to my local Comet (yes, I know, I know) and found that
> replacing all of the ink would cost north of �100.
>
> A new printer would cost less and come with ink.

Yes, but they have found a solution to that.
The new printer comes with nearly empty
'special new printer' cartridges,
that you will get less pages out of.

Jan
From: Martin S Taylor on
Jaimie Vandenbergh wrote
>> I have an iP4500, which I think uses the same ink, and a set of five
>> carts is about �45 for genuine Canon ones. PCW are known for ripping you
>> off on consumables.
>
> I got my last set of Canon carts for my MP600 (same family) for about
> �40 at Asda. And not �65 as they were in Purple World next door, or
> �70 at Staples next door but one.

Best place I've found is inkntoneruk who will beat any price. Their
compatible cartridges are (only) okay, but very much cheaper than originals,
though they still sell originals cheaper than anyone, I think.

I endorse Andy's views on printer manufacturers. I have a Canon MP610, which
is superb for my needs (no wifi, though), and Valentina was impressed enough
to get one herself.

MST